Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxWidenersPBcastcoTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with Single Shoot

Boolit Master

Hunting with Single Shoot

I would like to hunt pigs with out it costing a lot of money or charged for any pigs shot. Is there any place in the southern states that allows hunting without it costing $2000-$5000 for a weeks hunting with an up charge for the pigs killed. Processing/butchering charge I understand. Would be using a single shot and a lever action in .45-70 shooting 405-535 gr lead bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

I would sure hope so! For all the crying those southern farmers do, anyone charging that kind of money deserves to have their land ripped apart. You can go to Alaska for that kind of money!

Boolit Master
    Not sure exactly where to start but I would check with county offices for wildlife management...they may be able to get you in touch with land owners or ranchers that would live someone to come hunt pigs off their land. It may be alot of phone calls, cold calls and dead ends but I'm certain you can find someone that'll let you do it for free

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Its not a pest or a problem if they're charging you to hunt them. Which unfortunately is the case when I last looked. Same thing with prairie dogs

Boolit Master
    Watching this closely.

Boolit Master
    Back when I was looking for places to prairie dog hunt I found chamber of commerce to be the most helpful.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    Either the single shot or the. lever would be just fine for even the largest pigs. With a little practice, a single shot can be almost as fast shooting as a lever gun and definitely faster than a bolt gun. Just keep a round between your fingers for a really quick feed of the single shot. What those farmers are doing is trying to "cut a fat hog" so to speak and that practice is common all over. I have seen it many times in my state usually with farmers complaining about geese or pest elk herds

Boolit Master
    It might have since changed but back when I lived in Florida there was no seasonal hogs no restrictions other than a standard hunting license. I have no idea what was required of an out of state hunting license in Florida do you have to check that out with Florida Fish and game
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Check your PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    It might have since changed but back when I lived in Florida there was no seasonal hogs no restrictions other than a standard hunting license. I have no idea what was required of an out of state hunting license in Florida do you have to check that out with Florida Fish and game
    FL only requires a hunting license for hogs if on public land. On private land no license is required, just land owner permission.

Here there are places that cater to hunters, and places that let you shoot pigs. They are very different in the costs involved and type of hunting you'll experience. I know a guy who will pay $20 per pig killed to hunters, but for obvious reasons, it's invitation only. He also doesn't offer butchering services, but if you give him the GPS coordinates he'll go bury the carcasses with the front loader.

It ranges from that up to places that offer lodging and butchering and all that. Those places usually have a 'trophy fee' for the hogs, as that's their business. Most farmers with hog problems have no desire to maintain populations that would justify running a hunting business as a sideline. Most of the hunting outfitters have wooded acreage that they maintain in such a way that it helps sustain populations of the different game that they offer hunts for.

If a place offers hog hunts as a service, you should expect a per hog fee, or some kind of "includes up to 3 animals" or some such. Sometimes that fee is rolled into butchering fees etc, but it will be there in some fashion. If they don't charge a per animal fee, whats to stop someone from blasting 30 hogs and only choosing to butcher the 2 best? then they're left with 28 dead hogs that some other hunter could have paid to hunt.

There's more to it than that, but the bottom line is that there's a difference between places that have hog problems, and places that have hogs as game, at least usually.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I would sure hope so! For all the crying those southern farmers do, anyone charging that kind of money deserves to have their land ripped apart. You can go to Alaska for that kind of money!
    I can't tell you how much that comment pisses me off. Or anybody else that owns land in these parts. You are welcome to buy an out of state license, lease all the land your pocketbook can afford at $10 acre and hunt hogs all year long. On second though, anybody thinks someone deserves to have "their land ripped apart" can kiss both sides of my old wrinkled ****. You sound just like the Antifa creeps.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I can't tell you how much that comment pisses me off. Or anybody else that owns land in these parts. You are welcome to buy an out of state license, lease all the land your pocketbook can afford at $10 acre and hunt hogs all year long. On second though, anybody thinks someone deserves to have "their land ripped apart" can kiss both sides of my old wrinkled ****. You sound just like the Antifa creeps.
    Why would I pay money out of my own pocket to go shoot your feral pigs that are causing you a problem? Do you want to reduce the hogs tearing up land, or do you want to turn the south into a pig hunting safari? You can't have both. You can't cry about property damage, and then rake in cash from sucker hunters in the same breath.

I repeat, anyone that charges $2000+ just to allow somebody to shoot some feral pigs on their property for them, and then also cry's about the damage the pigs cause, deserves all the damage they cause. We have coyote's here that cause damage. I aint ever heard of anyone asking for cash to go shoot coyotes on their land.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 12-04-2020 at 12:34 AM.

Boolit Master

I agree $2000 to go kill hogs is way too high, but I don't blame people for charging to hunt on their property. Too many people have taken advantage of farmers letting them hunt on there property. From tearing down fences, shooting livestock, leaving trash, driving over crops, and shooting equipment for target practice.

Boolit Grand Master

What a different world. Of course there are slob hunters here, and plenty of people don't want you hunting their land because they do, or simply don't want you to etc. But to charge money just to hunt your land? And charge for hunting the very thing that is causing damage? That's like charging the exterminator to come and spray bugs. You can go anywhere in the midwest, and a good number, likely about half, will let you hunt. I'm not talking pests either, any animal for the most part. You likely wouldn't have as much success during deer firearms season. Hunting land/leases are one thing, but I have never heard of a normal land owner or farmer charging money. It is either a yes or no around here. Its getting rare, but some will even pay you to shoot coyotes or racoons. It wasn't long ago the great majority of farmers would pay kids to shoot the pigeons out of their barn.

I've never lived in a state with feral pigs, but I can't understand why the majority of people down there charge any money at all just to let people shoot an animal they deem a problem.

Boolit Master
    I repeat, anyone that charges $2000+ just to allow somebody to shoot some feral pigs on their property for them, and then also cry's about the damage the pigs cause, deserves all the damage they cause.
    I understand your sentiment, but I'm not personally aware of anyone who both charges for hunting, and complains about the damage the 'game' does to the property. There may be neighbors who see wild pigs differently, but I bet you don't agree with all of your neighbors about everything either.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    I understand your sentiment, but I'm not personally aware of anyone who both charges for hunting, and complains about the damage the 'game' does to the property. There may be neighbors who see wild pigs differently, but I bet you don't agree with all of your neighbors about everything either.
    As I said in my first post, I would hope this would be the case. There does seem to be an unusually high number of people who charge, especially in Texas, but I would have to think there are enough people out there who genuinely want you to come and hunt them.

Two schools of thought.... Opportunists, those being the ones that have transported feral hogs across the south for profit. And, secondly, the honest landowners dealing with the fallout. Hint...the ones that brought them here are the ones trying to profit.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Why would I pay money out of my own pocket to go shoot your feral pigs that are causing you a problem? Do you want to reduce the hogs tearing up land, or do you want to turn the south into a pig hunting safari? You can't have both. You can't cry about property damage, and then rake in cash from sucker hunters in the same breath.

I repeat, anyone that charges $2000+ just to allow somebody to shoot some feral pigs on their property for them, and then also cry's about the damage the pigs cause, deserves all the damage they cause. We have coyote's here that cause damage. I aint ever heard of anyone asking for cash to go shoot coyotes on their land.

I personally saw this when I lived in Middle GA. Hand wringing and moaning about hogs destroying everything. When the idea is mentioned of hunting or reducing numbers, most folks I dealt with got a gleam in their eyes and the talk of money ensued. No thanks. This happened more than once and I have made your very same argument over and over for years. I don't necessarily want to see them get their land destroyed or think they deserve it, but I can definitely see how it's talking out of 2 sides of their mouth.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    You didn't say what state, but north GA. wma's have plenty of hogs. A phone call to DNR office close to where you want to hunt will get you plenty of real time numbers and suggestions of where to go. All for the cost of the license. South GA has more and the local ranger can put you in touch with private landowners that just want them gone. I have buddys that live south of Macon that say any wma close to ag land will have hogs.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

Oh well back to basics.... "the love of money is the root of all evil".
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast