WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Best 9 mm bullets for tight throats

Boolit Mold

Best 9 mm bullets for tight throats

I have to seat my bullets deeper than I want to for them to function in my glock 48 and mp 9mm. The bullets that I am using are mp mold 130 grain round nose no lube groves and a lee 124 grain tumble lube mold. I would like to be able to seat my bullets to the recommended length in the loading manual. What bullet mold would work best for this.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of modern barrels have no throat .
    Round nosed boolits are the worst for seating in these barrels because of the boolit's ogive hitting the rifling too soon ...therefore you have to seat the boolit deeper .

The answer is to have your barrel throated to accept the load you want to use .
    Or you can change to a Truncated Cone boolit design and watch your boolit size .

I solved this problem with Truncated Cone boolit moulds Lee 356-120-TC and
    NOE 358-124-TC-GC , both sized to .357 . Seat the boolit until passes the plunk test .
    RN designs must be deep seated in the barrels with little or no throat even when sized .357 .

Fellow member DougGuy can help with throating .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I am assuming you are powder coating.
    There are always sizing issues that require deeper seating with powder coating, even when the nose section is stepped like the Lee mold you are using is. The powder coating increases the diameter of the nose section, causing the need to seat deeper than normal.
    For powder coating and tight throats, the best boolit design is a truncated cone design. The Lee 356-120-TC or the Lyman 356402 I can personally recommend. Nearly any TC design should do the job for you. You can seat the boolit so the edge of the front drive band is right at the mouth of the case. Seated this way, they usually function in nearly any chamber.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JASONBURNSDUNDEE View Post
    I have to seat my bullets deeper than I want to for them to function in my glock 48 and mp 9mm. The bullets that I am using are mp mold 130 grain round nose no lube groves and a lee 124 grain tumble lube mold. I would like to be able to seat my bullets to the recommended length in the loading manual. What bullet mold would work best for this.
    The length in the loading manual is a MINIMUM, not a recommendation!

If you have guns with that short of a leade, you should consider running a finishing reamer through them rather than shortening your ammunition to a potentially unsafe COAL.

Boolit Master

Just how deep are you seating? Are you having pressure or feeding problems? Are you looking for top end velocities?

In order to get perfect functioning in my Sig 2022 9mm with the Lee 120 TC (standard lube groove) I used the data for the RCBS 124 in the Lyman Cast Bullet manual which called for seating them to 1.050".

The Lyman #356402 has a small step at the shoulder which probably allows for the slightly longer seating depth of 1.110".

Quote Originally Posted by JASONBURNSDUNDEE View Post
    I dont worry about such things as matching OAL in the manual, means nothing since your bullets arent the same anyway. OAL is always bullet & barrel specific.
    For short throats you want a RN with a step in the dia at the ogive/bearing area, imo. Accurate has several designs that would work. I mostly shoot a Saeco 147gr RN with step at the bearing area.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    If you have to deep seat just start your powder charges at the bottom and work up to the level you want. Better to have 5 or 10 rounds that won't cycle than damaging your gun or body .
    The OAL in manuals and powder charges is based on the exact components they used.