Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Lee Sizer Kit on Dillon 550?

Boolit Mold

Lee Sizer Kit on Dillon 550?

I'm planning on starting to casting my .45 Colt and .45 ACP bullets. I currently use a Dillon 550 for general reloading and am curious if the Lee Bullet Sizing Kit will fit on a Dillon. I know the die will screw into the Dillon head, but the press height might not allow the bullet to fall into the dispenser on top of the die? Has anyone tried this? It seems like an inexpensive way to start/try sizing bullets. I'll probably size bullets coated with Hi-Tek, and avoid lubing until I get a dedicated sizer.

Boolit Grand Master

If you're right handed put the Lee sizer in station two of the tool head with all other stations empty. Primer feed is not in the way. The bullet catcher fits with no problem. Operate ram with right hand and set bullets on Lee ram with left.

Ah yes, as Derek45 points out and I forgot, the 550 doesn't take a regular shell holder so it is easily modified to fit the 550 shell plate. Easy to modify with a file, grinder (if you have steady hands) or with a or drill press or lathe.

For a "1" shell plate (30-06/45 ACP etc.) simply file or grind the side right above the rim so it will slip into the shell slot on the plate. Loosen the shell plat bolt so the punch rim slips under the shell plate then tighten the bolt back down to hold the punch in place at station 2. The rim diameter may have to be slightly reduced to fit the case rim diameter slot on the plate bottom. It's a try and fit proposition. Not really hard to do.

The punch will fit in and under a "G" shell plate (7.62x54R, 45-70, etc.) w/o any modification.

Of course with a lathe it is easy to turn the punch to the rim diameter/thickness for whatever shell plate is used.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 12-04-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBC275E5-D55F-4AD9-9458-1007DA38CAA0.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	272550

edit with pic...read the last part

it won’t work, you need a single stage press to mount the shaft that pushes the bullet through the LEE sizer
    Last edited by derek45; 12-03-2020 at 06:27 PM.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

On a single stage press, you need a shell holder, as seen on the left. with the LEE sizer kit, it has a punch that replaces the shell holder.

This punch is what shoves the bullet through the sizer die.

Your DILLON 550 doesn't use a single shell holder, but a shell plate with 4 stations.

There is no way to mount the LEE punch.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBC275E5-D55F-4AD9-9458-1007DA38CAA0.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	272550

edit with pic...read the last part

it won’t work, you need a single stage press to mount the shaft that pushes the bullet through the LEE sizer
    I broke that exact lee press trying to size bullets. I have a classic cast now in its place.

Boolit Mold
    So the punch won't fit the Dillon shell plate in the same fashion a brass cartridge does?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimeast View Post
    So the punch won't fit the Dillon shell plate in the same fashion a brass cartridge does?
    correct

you need to buy a single stage press, or a LEE turret press, it takes regular shellholders and will work

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    You might consider the Lee APP press very handy for processing brass and bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

The only fly in the progressive machine loader is things like this .
    You should always keep a single stage press around for odd jobs like this ...
    even a Hand Press is good to have.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

You can get a single stage conversion kit for the 550. Probably better off to get a single stage press.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'll hold up a bit until I can get dedicated Lube-Sizer like the Magma Star or RCBS. Not sure if there are any specifics to consider. The Magma Star seems to be a favorite, and the most pricey.

I use my single stage far more than my 550 these days, just easier to do load development/ tinkering with a single stage.

Boolit Grand Master
    The reason the Star lubrisizer is the most pricy is that it is at least twice as fast as the in and out ones like the Lyman or RCBS.

I went the RCBS/ Lyman route when I started casting for cartridge guns, if I had realized how much faster a Star was I probably would have gone that way, I find lubing the slowest part of casting boolits. I have too much invested in sizing dies to switch styles now.

I do have a few Lee push throughs that I use when I am going to tumble lube. Word of advice, it is easier to use one in a solidly mounted press than a hand held press.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I got one of these for my 550. It was cheaper than buying a 'heavy duty' single stage press. I use it with my NOE sizing kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dilon-Single-stage-conversion-kit-for-XL-650-XL-750-and-RL-550-B-C/223077256490?hash=item33f070cd2a:gdcAAOSw-6pbW2u-

Boolit Buddy
    Lee APP is very fast for sizing coated bullets
    I have a bullet feeder but also just hand feed into a short tube and can size as fast as I can feed the tube.

For those who say the Lee kits won't work on a Dillion, Have you read this thread? Post #2 by Larry Gibson explains just how it can be done.
    Me, I don't load on anything but single stage presses. I don't shoot enough to need the speed of a progressive.
    With my cast I tumble lube mostly and size with my Lee APP.
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    If you're right handed put the Lee sizer in station two of the tool head with all other stations empty. Primer feed is not in the way. The bullet catcher fits with no problem. Operate ram with right hand and set bullets on Lee ram with left.

Ah yes, as Derek45 points out and I forgot, the 550 doesn't take a regular shell holder so it is easily modified to fit the 550 shell plate. Easy to modify with a file, grinder (if you have steady hands) or with a or drill press or lathe.

For a "1" shell plate (30-06/45 ACP etc.) simply file or grind the side right above the rim so it will slip into the shell slot on the plate. Loosen the shell plat bolt so the punch rim slips under the shell plate then tighten the bolt back down to hold the punch in place at station 2. The rim diameter may have to be slightly reduced to fit the case rim diameter slot on the plate bottom. It's a try and fit proposition. Not really hard to do.

The punch will fit in and under a "G" shell plate (7.62x54R, 45-70, etc.) w/o any modification.

Of course with a lathe it is easy to turn the punch to the rim diameter/thickness for whatever shell plate is used.

Larry,
    You're a great asset to this forum.

but that idea is just goofy

OK, you first LOL

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC