Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

View Poll Results: Do you like guns, shooting, cleaning, and reloading?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like guns and all that comes with them.

175 76.09%
  • I like guns, shooting and reloading, but not cleaning.

50 21.74%
  • I like guns and shooting, but not reloading or cleaning.

4 1.74%
  • I only like shooting.

1 0.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you like guns, reloading, or just shooting?

Boolit Master
    I like guns. I like reloading. I like shooting. While I don't necessarily dislike cleaning, it's not at the top of my list. I clean my guns when they tell me they need it. Sometimes the guilt makes me clean them before the gun thinks it needs it. I have an SKS that has never thought it needed cleaning, but after thousands and thousands of rounds guilt took over and it got cleaned anyway.

That's kinda the way I clean. I wipe down blued guns, and the soot off of revolvers. But I don't clean the bore or action unless it needs it or I'm in the notion. I do enjoy cleaning when I do it but I don't do it often enough to make it a chore.

Boolit Master
    Yes, yes, yes.

Boolit Master

I just voted for all three. My problem is that I have so many different guns in different cartridges that I can't really get comfortable with the reloading. So many things don't fit the data in the manuals. Right now I'm working up a load for grandsons 9mm's and being very conservative since I don't usually reload for anyone other than myself. When they get to shoot they like to shoot a lot. That means that I'll be loading on the Dillon 550. That requires constant attention for me. I quit when I start to get tired which doesn't take more than an hour. It might be a day or so before I come back.

I just wish I had been able to do more before I got old.
    John
    W.TN

Love everything that has to do with guns, I even spend a lot of time with my wife and the grand children with guns from shooting, hunting, cleaning, and reloading.
    It takes more than just reading, to prepare a young soldier for battle.
    Your experience means the world to the young.

I love it all.....except cleaning! Defense guns stay clean, but the rest I shoot to malfunction. Glocks get cleaned every 4kish, AR’s every 2k, .22 every 2-4K, 1911’s 2k, bolt guns probably never. I know, some of y’all don’t agree with me, but that’s alright too.

Boolit Master

After many hundreds of thousands of rounds, reloading is now just a chore I have to get through (with that said, I'm grateful that I *can* reload) - but I still love the magic of casting bullets.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

I love it all !!! Buying , reloading , casting , shooting , cleaning, modifying and building a range in my front yard !!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20201104_203009.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	273083...... love building leather holsters for things that go pow .
    Its also good to have a friend that shares the same passion and can build you a nifty vice to help you with projects !!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20201205_152806.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	273082qo

Boolit Master
    yes!!

That's the only thing I'm missing farnorth, a friend that shares the passion.

Thanks for sharing, I've used cabinet screws for years like what's pictured. One of the handiest clamps there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    That's the only thing I'm missing farnorth, a friend that shares the passion.

Thanks for sharing, I've used cabinet screws for years like what's pictured. One of the handiest clamps there is.
    Yeah its tough now days to find like minded folks . I am 44 and he is 70 ..... i haven't found anyone my age that i have much in common with . I met him about 5 years ago , he had a 65# Black Widow for sale and i bought it . The next year i took my first ever bear , it was Spot / Stalk hunt and with his old bow . I sent him pictures of the hunt and we have been friends ever since . We both love Casting , both love 45colts and old school guns . ....... it would seem i really dont have much in common anymore with people under 60 lol ........ at least not people around me !!!

I'm only 37. Heck, I don't know anyone else that casts or loads.

Boolit Master

I'm a retiree and in my mid 70s age wise. I have noticed for the past few months that I don't target shoot like I used to. I think I still enjoy doing it but being totally honest about it I must not enjoy it like I used to. I hate that and I want to get back to it. I do really enjoy handloading and specifically I seem to be turning to what I would call precision handloading. I am perfectly content to take a rifle to the range and shoot only 10 to 20 rounds at 100 yards. I aim for precision and not shooting massive amounts of ammo. I do still enjoy deer and turkey hunting. I also enjoy the cleaning process after my shooting session.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I'm only 37. Heck, I don't know anyone else that casts or loads.
    Same here, 37 and I've never met another person who casts, and only a few who reload. Even when I get into gun talk with people, I feel myself plowing forward with what I would consider normal conversation only to realize that I left them back and the station when we moved on from their pet area of the hobby.

I love the entire process: load development for a particular rifle, casting, re-working a load for that rifle with cast, polymer pistols, WW1 rifles, AR's, the 22 Savage that's killed more deer at the family deer camp than anybody can count, cleaning, organizing my bench, etc. Like somebody else said, I've gone shooting just to be able to reload, and I've cleaned rifles that I know full well were already clean.

The next step is subsonic suppressed hunting loads with cast boolits and hi-tek coating, and getting my kids into it the way my dad did with me.

The only folks I know that loads are the guy that owns the gun store and the gunsmith. The latter casts. Been hanging round the gunsmith shop for years but it ain't ever progressed past that.

Boolit Bub
    Package deal for me. Shooting, reloading, cleaning, admiring, studying etc...

I love guns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot, I do know one person that loads. We ain't real close buddies but been shooting a few times together. Starting to get to know him better. He don't cast, but he scrounges lead, might work out pretty good.

I like it all except for cleaning, tho I’ve learned the hard way that if I’m going to shoot a lot of lead bullets, I had better clean those guns a little more often. That puts me in the minority of the poll.

I don’t cast but my neighbor does. Good to have a neighbor next door that does it all and enjoys the sport as much as I do.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and More Ammo

I reckon I'd have to say I enjoy it all. In the early stages, it was just the shooting. Of course they had to be wiped down back then as about all the guns I knew of were blued steel. The more I got into shooting, the deeper things got. Once the reloading began, I was shooting more, therefore I was cleaning more often. Finally the casting began.

It's been mentioned in the posts about having a shooting buddy. I can always find one of those it seems, just never one as much into as I am. In fact, I don't know of anyone in my circle that does all of the above (shooting/cleaning/reloading/casting).

My shop is also wired for sound. I'm a music lover and generally have something playing while cleaning or casting. Not so much during actual reloading though. I like to put my full attention into that.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Moderator Emeritus

I like guns and shooting. I reload to shoot and like the study and powder experimenting but consider the pulling of the levers about the same as bricklaying.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast