WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Do you like guns, shooting, cleaning, and reloading?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like guns and all that comes with them.

175 76.09%
  • I like guns, shooting and reloading, but not cleaning.

50 21.74%
  • I like guns and shooting, but not reloading or cleaning.

4 1.74%
  • I only like shooting.

1 0.43%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you like guns, reloading, or just shooting?

Boolit Master
    start to finish enjoy it all, after all if you can do it yourself why not? then its done the way you want, theres a certain pride that goes with DIY and knowing that you can.

Boolit Master

I hate trimming brass, but I like reloading, shooting and guns of course.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I like guns but agree with the poster who said some capture the imagination and seem like art and history in one elegant package. Others leave going "meh" nice tool I guess. I can think of at least half a dozen handguns I would buy before I bought a 9mm or 40 S&W, however that being said Christmas is coming and if someone wants to gift me one I'm not going to be rude and re-gift it.

Casting and reloading is for me the bigger part of the whole thing. I do like target shooting but without having reloaded or better yet cast and reloaded I'm just burning ammunition. Fun but hardly a hobby unless one does it competitively or as a sport. Casting and reloading engages more of my time than shooting, especially if you count research or experimentation. Don't mind cleaning. Not ever going to be a big fan of brass prep. That more than anything seems like a means to an end. I do find I enjoy the site of a plastic bin full of brass labeled "Ready To Load" at the end of the prep, just don't enjoy the prep much. Cleaning is fine, that is just a chance to appreciate the design and ownership.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I enjoy reloading much more since I upgraded from the Lee hand press to the Lee Turret Press. Seems like the time investement/return ratio is just right. Not that there was anything wrong with the hand press, it was just slower.
    I don't mind cleaning, but can't say I enjoy it. If I cleaned spotless like some folks every time I shot, I'd hate it. As it is, blued exteriors get wiped any time one is handled. Sooted up revolvers get wiped down. Bores get scrubbed if a new load is found to lead, otherwise they might get a boresnake every now and again. Actions get cleaned as needed (when they start to gum up).

Boolit Master

You are missing an option. Those who like owning guns, but don't really care to shoot them. I've known lots of these over the years, perhaps more of them than actual shooters.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by evort View Post
    I enjoy it all. Buy 'em, clean 'em, shoot 'em, clean 'em, see which loads worked best, tweak those loads a little bit, get some different boolits and see how those fly. Buy a new gun and start over. Good times.
    YUP! That's me.

Boolit Buddy
    I enjoy it all, but I didn't answer your poll because not only do I not enjoy cleaning guns, I really just don't even do it. I'll clean the copper out of a rifle bore, but other than that or a wipe down, my guns get lubed and shot some more....cleaning is massively overrated.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I voted for guns, shooting and reloading but not cleaning guns.
    Why???
    Because I don't like cleaning guns.
    I do clean them because it's necessary and I am an adult and as such I sometimes am required to do things I don't much like. But those things need done, so I do them.

Boolit Master

Cleaning with the smells associated with them lets me remember working with my dad so I like it. I still have all dad's reloading equipment and still use most of it.

I like it all, cleaning is just part of the process.
    Aim Small Miss Small

I wish I would have thought to make a "I just like guns" answer. I know there are a lot of those folks but I'd doubt many here. The kind of folks if you ask the. What kind of gun they have and their answer is the caliber or gauge, and when presses, they can't offer the model or make.

For some reason I like cleaning guns. I don't keep my guns spotless though. I wipe them down and clean for function or accuracy as needed, but rarely every time I shoot them. I do enjoy vintage cleaning stuff though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMk View Post
    My interest in guns changes about as often as the weather,,

one week,,,

the next week,,

and,, then there are handguns,,

Try to cast boolits,, when your interest changes like that,,
    by the time the mold gets here,, I am trying to by rimfire ammo,,,

Same here. I have finely crafted 5-figure custom rifles that I absolutely appreciate and enjoy, and also have $500 plastic pistols that I also think are wonderful, but for a whole different set of reasons.

I don't think there are a whole lot of folks on here like us. Most are very antagonistic towards composite combat pistols and rifles and take every opportunity to disparage them.

I like and appreciate nearly all firearm designs and styles. I enjoy shooting them, casting boolits for them, reloading for them, and even cleaning them is not that big of a chore for me. Except ARs. Cleaning ARs reminds me of the military when us lower rank guys not only had to clean our rifles, but everyone else's after range day.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master
    Love old forearms.
    Collecting, reloading for, and shooting.
    I find the history of them more interesting that everything else.
    But I do enjoy shooting them.
    New stuff just is not all that interesting to me.

Boolit Master
    When I think about it, I have to confess I don't pull guns out of the safe just to admire them; they come out to go to the range to be used. I have no collectibles to speak of. Nearly all my guns are used in competition and practice for it.

So I guess that makes me a shooter. Casting and reloading are fun and interesting, but are done mainly so I can shoot as much as I want. Cleaning is a chore.

All part of the hobby. I also like collecting and some of the most enjoyable part is the hunt for what I am looking for. I also like building( with help) unique guns.

Banned

im kind of in the middle. I like guns shooting hunting loading and casting. Hate cleaning and i like guns and shooting a heck of alot more then casting or loading. I dont hate doing them. It gives me something to do in the winter but I cast and load for only one reason and that is to SHOOT ALOT CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLE. If i had someone giving me factory ammo to blast id
    probably never pull a handle or cast another bullet. At least i can honestly say id rarely do it.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have met a few people over the years that owned firearms but never shot them.
    Invited them to go shooting but they always find an excuse not to go.
    These people I do not understand.

I've met a few folks that owned guns but no interest in firing them. I know a guy right now like that.

I often had pondered whether or not I would continue to cast and reload if I had no financial need to. The answer is yes. Reloading and casting makes guns a much fuller and enjoyable lifestyle. I enjoy making ammo, plain and simple.

Now, I don't shoot competition or huge bulk. That would make reloading work. I enjoy using hand presses and single stage presses. It for me is the same with chopping wood. I enjoy splitting wood with an axe. But to use a wood splitter is just work. It may be easier and faster, but it isn't fun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I've met a few folks that owned guns but no interest in firing them. I know a guy right now like that.

I often had pondered whether or not I would continue to cast and reload if I had no financial need to. The answer is yes. Reloading and casting makes guns a much fuller and enjoyable lifestyle. I enjoy making ammo, plain and simple.

Now, I don't shoot competition or huge bulk. That would make reloading work. I enjoy using hand presses and single stage presses. It for me is the same with chopping wood. I enjoy splitting wood with an axe. But to use a wood splitter is just work. It may be easier and faster, but it isn't fun.
    Brother from another mother...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Hi...
    I have met a few people over the years that owned firearms but never shot them.
    Invited them to go shooting but they always find an excuse not to go.
    These people I do not understand.
    one of my best friends is one who loves guns and rarely shoots. His wife deer hunts but he sits home. Comical thing is he even owned a gun shop for 20 some years. Heck of a nice guy and loved guns but didnt really know alot about them. I like to have a buck for every time he called me and asked me advice on something. He does have some real cool guns hes accumulated through the years and most of them CHEAP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast