Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Older Dixie gun works flintlock

Boolit Bub

Older Dixie gun works flintlock

Ran across an older Dixie gun works rifle at a local pawn shop. It’s the left handed, kind of poor boy rifle they used to sell, but I can’t remember what they called it. What’s the consensus on these? Are parts available? They were pretty proud of it price wise but you don’t see one that often either.

Boolit Master
    Tenn mountain rifle if its the one with the hole in the stock instead of a patchbox.

Boolit Bub
    That’s the one! I was looking for an old catalog to look it up in.

Boolit Mold
    i got one of those back around 1979, they called mine a "Tennessee Poor Boy" ..it was a kit gun, stock came as a long block of wood with only lock inletting ... you pinned the barrel .... great shooting gun, hunted with it many years, even for squirrels ....hangs in the living room now ... most all the lock parts are standard, just find a local flintlock shop ... i have a Dixie catalog 2009 on p.24 they now call it a Tennessee Mtn Rifle kit for $650

I have an older model of the souther mtn rifle right hand flint model . What I was told was the early models had a 7/8"atf barrel mines 50 cal . Has made in Japan on the barrel near breach end and a sn# mine had a 3 digit number ,barrel is 1:56 twist . Can't really say anything bad about mine had a decent lock on it frizzen sparks well . Dixie does sell some parts for it not a lot but some . LR sells a drop in replacement lock .
    Last edited by RU shooter; 12-03-2020 at 09:42 AM.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

I bought one in 32 cal in a pawn shop. Nice light well balanced rifle. I ordered the kit conversion so I can shoot either flint or caps.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a left hand version with the hole in the stock instead of the patch box. Made in Japan by Miroku. Mine is percussion though. But it's been fine.

Mine is left hand, percussion, fifty caliber, the version with the patch box.
    Cheese and crackers talk about a photo torpedo.
    At the annual preseason sighting in of deer rifles at the local range you could see the victims of flinchitis shifting their Weavers and Leupolds over to look at the groups that thing will shoot.
    If that flinter at the pawn shop still has a good bore it's likely to be a good shooter. Run some patches through it before you plunk down the money. Feel for bore roughness and look for color on the cloth.
    Best wishes and hope you found a merry Christmas present!

If I remember correctly, these were made by Miroku.
    I know I about wore that page out of my old Dixie Catalog.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    I too own a .50 caliber LH, percussion, Dixie Mtn. Rifle. Four digit serial number made in Japan, grease hole in buttstock.

Winelover

Boolit Bub
    Yes it’s the left handed 50, in flintlock. Lucky for me I’m left handed too. Next time I’m over that way I’ll check it out a little closer.