Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is "special vented barrel" in 38 special testing, how does it effect load data?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Ah how bout split cases blown out primers and a few other signs. Kinda like checking for precious signs in any cartridge.
    See below. He said it better than I can.

"In low pressure cartridges pressure signs don't appear until you have damaged or destroyed the gun."

I think I will ask for the Lyman #50 for Christmas and use that data for velocity to compare loads for pressure. thanks for helping me under stand about vented test barrels.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Kid,

A real good sign of high pressure in a revolver is when you have difficulty pulling out the spent cases.
    "same old misinformation"

Boolit Master
    Well not your mother, don’t even know the woman. I’m certainly not interested in getting into a mine is bigger than yours contest with anybody. Based on your comments and vast post count, you obviously have waaaaaaay more knowledge than me. I was simply stating, in an open forum that in my opinion I see nothing wrong with using load data from old are reloading manuals. As long as that data contains information on currently available components. And I stand by my previous statement. As far as anything else goes? Well you just have a wonderful day.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Firmer than normal ejection of fired cases from a revolver is a warning sign of higher pressure than normal - just like stiffer opening of a rifle bolt is a warning. Call it a clue if you want, but it isn’t misinformation. It is your gun telling you to back off of the powder charge.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Firmer than normal ejection of fired cases from a revolver is a warning sign of higher pressure than normal - just like stiffer opening of a rifle bolt is a warning. Call it a clue if you want, but it isn’t misinformation. It is your gun telling you to back off of the powder charge.
    That is highly dependent on the firearm/cartridge combination. Works fine in full size modern magnums. Not so much in a lot of the older designs. I shoot loads in my Ruger Blackhawks and TC Contenders that show zero pressure signs with higher end 45 Colt loads yet these same loads will take 1873 Clones apart in one shot. Personally seen the results twice.

As Larry pointed out sticky extraction normally happens around 42K -45K in case like the 38/357. SAAMI max for the 38 Spec is 20K. Even firearms like S&W 19 don't tolerate a steady diet of SAAMI spec 357 loads. Lots of pre 60's revolvers are much less tolerant of those pressures. Same applies to rifles. Most modern rifle cartridges don't show pressure signs till above 65K yet lots of rifle designs don't tolerate 65k plus pressures. My siamese mauser 45/70 loads at 50K don't show any pressure signs yet lots of 45/70 firearms will come apart if fired with those loads.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-04-2020 at 12:46 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12