Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: anyone loading the 300 ham'r

Banned

anyone loading the 300 ham'r

I pulled the plug and have the stuff comming to put one together. Looked everywhere for loading data and all of it is for 1680 and that new blackout powder neither do i have. have some 4198 but most loads using it are for 150s and im more into 125s and you give up about 200 fps with it and put in back in black out territory. Ive got a bunch of wc297. anyone try it or have any data for it. i guess i can do what i did with 820 in the bo and just wing it. But id sure like to know if someones been there and done that or loads youve used with powders other then those three.

Boolit Buddy
    Wilson Combat has data on their website for 95-150 grain bullets but like you said only Accurate 1680, Hodgdon CFEBLK and Shooters World SOCOM powders.
    The 2020 Annual Manual has data for 125-150 grain bullets using IMR 4198, H 4198 and CFE BLK.
    You should be able to use 7.62x40 data and work up.
    Last edited by cupajoe; 12-03-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Banned

I ended up finding two lbs of 1680 my buddy had so im good to get started anyway.

Boolit Buddy
    Well good on you for finding some 1680, not an easy feat lately. If Wilson had brought out the Ham'r before I geared up for the 762x40, I would have probably gone that way for the slower twist option. May not make any difference though as I shoot the Speer TNT's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cupajoe View Post
    Well good on you for finding some 1680, not an easy feat lately. If Wilson had brought out the Ham'r before I geared up for the 762x40, I would have probably gone that way for the slower twist option. May not make any difference though as I shoot the Speer TNT's.
    ya there about a wash to me. I dont care if the 300 is twisted better for heavies either. It will never see anything over 130 anyway. i just wanted something differnt then my grendel to shoot 200 yard deer with during crop damage season. Ive done it with the blackout out to 200 yards and it did work well but it aways made me a bit nervous out past a 100 yards. This 300 should take care of anything at 200 and maybe even 250. Ah heck to be honest its just something new to play with. What i would really like to see is something commercial like a grendel necked up to 30 cal. Or even the 30 rem to take off. It always boggled my mind that that round didnt become a big hit with the ar bunch.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, that kinda takes us back around to the 7.62x39, I thought several times in the past few years about ordering an upper but never did. I get similar performance with the x40 round so I am good. Wanting to conserve my 5.56 brass as is, I did order some Ham'r brass from Midway and prepped it for use in the x40.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cupajoe View Post
    Well, that kinda takes us back around to the 7.62x39, I thought several times in the past few years about ordering an upper but never did. I get similar performance with the x40 round so I am good. Wanting to conserve my 5.56 brass as is, I did order some Ham'r brass from Midway and prepped it for use in the x40.
    the ham'r is about a ballistic twin to the 762x39. Advantage is 556 brass is easy to find and cheap and it used a 556 bolt carrier group so if your like me and are compulsive about spare parts my 556 stash of parts and brass will keep it running. It also can use some 556 mags. 300 bo mags are better and i have a pile of those so im all set there. One other thing (and this is me) I had a 762x39 bushmaster. It was a total ***. I dont think it ever ran a mag other then the 5 and 10 rounders without jamming and most of the time even with the 5s and 10s. The 762x39 case just wasnt made to work in an ar. I know some have luck with them but my one bad apple would keep me from ever going there again. If i want to shoot 762x39 i have a couple aks that run like butter. One nice thing about the 762x39 (at least used to be) is that a guy could buy wolf steel case cheap and take it to camp and blast away and not even have to bend over to pick up brass. Like you said Joe your 762x40 is about as close to an identical twin of the ham'r in the cartridge world as there is. If i had one i surely wouldnt bother with the ham'r either and if the deal i got on the parts was in 40 i would have jumped just as fast. I might try cast in this gun but right now its not on the agenda. I have 3 bos that i shoot cast out of. this one will probably be used like my 6.5 grendel to kill deer with jackted bullets. Now if you want my opinion in an ar15 the grendel is the one to have.

Boolit Master

I have been loading and shooting 7.62x40WT & 300HAM’R in MSR’s with barrels from Wilson Combat. I switched out all except one of my 300BO as I don’t do subsonic and the round is a little anemic for hunting. (It kills but marginal at times, YMMV.)

I have found that the chamber of the HAM’R is of tighter tolerance than the WT so I don’t use cast in it as unless great care is taken you will experience stuck rounds.

As for powder 100% case fill with H4198 & RL7 will run under 110~135gn factory bullets. I don’t have my notes handy but the velocities exceeded what the BO can do. Other powders I use are Shooters World SBR-SOCOM & Blackout.

My hunting load uses Speer 125gn TNT on top of SBR-SOCOM. I bought a few 1000 of these last year when they were on sale and they are excellent performers on hogs.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    I have been loading and shooting 7.62x40WT & 300HAM’R in MSR’s with barrels from Wilson Combat. I switched out all except one of my 300BO as I don’t do subsonic and the round is a little anemic for hunting. (It kills but marginal at times, YMMV.)

I have found that the chamber of the HAM’R is of tighter tolerance than the WT so I don’t use cast in it as unless great care is taken you will experience stuck rounds.

As for powder 100% case fill with H4198 & RL7 will run under 110~135gn factory bullets. I don’t have my notes handy but the velocities exceeded what the BO can do. Other powders I use are Shooters World SBR-SOCOM & Blackout.

My hunting load uses Speer 125gn TNT on top of SBR-SOCOM. I bought a few 1000 of these last year when they were on sale and they are excellent performers on hogs.
    Ive got tnts, bts, speer 130 hps 125 ssts and 125 sierras to try now. Like i said i score some 1680 from my buddy and a day later midway emailed me and said the had some cfe blk so i ordered 6 lbs of that too. Day after that midsouth emailed me and said the had 110 tssx barnes. thats the bullet i did all my deer killing in the bo with and im not a fan of barnes bullets but that bullet just plain works in the bo and id bet it would be devastating in the ham'r. i do have quite a bit of 4198 too but it seems a bit slow for it. but in a pinch i could burn it up. Got the gun all together yesterday except for a grip and a mag release that should be here monday. I did test fire it like that having to hold the mag in it and it ran 3 and locked back perfectly so it looks like i wont have the teething pains i had with my grendel. About sure this gun will put a couple hundred lbs of venison in the freezer come next fall. Like i said the bo worked surprisingly well but it still makes me a bit nervous for shots over a 100 yards. The 2-300 fps gain with the harmr should make it a solid 200 yard gun and might even temped me out to 250 like my grendel (which by the way is still my favorite ar15 round)

Still do not understand why they did not come out with the 30 Apache?

Boolit Buddy
    Hodgdon has load data for IMR 4198 and H4198 for 125 and 130 bullets.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Still do not understand why they did not come out with the 30 Apache?
    mostly because with the ar mags your limited to how far you can seat a bullet out and with a full lenght case your bullet is just deaper in the case and you gain no powder capacity and can run into trouble with some bullet shapes with case tension when there seated so deaply. My dream ar cartridge would be the 6.5 grendel case necked to 30 cal. youd loose some of the long range capability of the grendel but for the most part all those rounds are 200 yard deer killers and pushing them any more then that is risking poor kills. i dont pretend this new ham'r will be more effective then my grendel. It wont. Its just something differnt and a definate step up in power from my black outs. Add to that its 30 cal so its going to be alot more cast bullet friendly then a grendel. but that isnt even a consern for me. My bo's will see 99 percent of my cast bullet shooting

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    Hodgdon has load data for IMR 4198 and H4198 for 125 and 130 bullets.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
    thanks i printed it off but looking at it its the same as the wilson data. Ill have to look at it more carefully though i just glanced through it.