RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 200 grain wadcutters for 38 special

Banned

200 grain wadcutters for 38 special

anyone know of a mold for these?

Boolit Master
    The only one that comes to mind is the old Lyman 195 gr. .358" mold, but it's a round-nose and may be out of production.
    Do you want a full wadcutter, or a SEMI-wadcutter?
    You might consult LEE Precision. If you can draw the bullet, they can machine a mold to cast it. It'll cost extra for "custom work", but they're still as reasonable as you're likely to find, anywhere.
    I don't really know if they're accepting custom work at the moment with "all of this" going on, but it's easy enough to find out.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    Contact Tom at Accurate Moulds. I will bet he can make one for you.

He does have a 190 and a 210 and a design at 200 gr. that might work for you

Boolit Buddy
    Tom @ Accurate Molds has this one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201202-090215_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	272472

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    The only one that comes to mind is the old Lyman 195 gr. .358" mold, but it's a round-nose and may be out of production.
    Do you want a full wadcutter, or a SEMI-wadcutter?
    You might consult LEE Precision. If you can draw the bullet, they can machine a mold to cast it. It'll cost extra for "custom work", but they're still as reasonable as you're likely to find, anywhere.
    I don't really know if they're accepting custom work at the moment with "all of this" going on, but it's easy enough to find out.
    Wadcutter yep, 200 or more. Tried tracking down one of the HG molds for 230 grain pin bullets too, but obviously enough time has passed since they closed shop they are now heirloom level.

Boolit Grand Master
    Check out the LASC site for articles by Glenn Fryxell. One of his essays is about the Lyman 358627 (a favorite of mine) semi-wadcutter cast bullets. His article is "A Cast Bullet for all Seasons". Should be right up your alley.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mickbr View Post
    Wadcutter yep, 200 or more. Tried tracking down one of the HG molds for 230 grain pin bullets too, but obviously enough time has passed since they closed shop they are now heirloom level.
    That's a shame. Someone gave me a handful of those giant logs and I wouldn't mind having a mold for them, if only for occasional fun.

I wonder if you could fly a 358430 200gn. RN backwards for a FWC?

It's a common mould that's been around.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Now that 358430 is a design I'd really like to try out! What kind of load data do you like for it? Ive done some 200gr molds in 38, but have been all 200gr rifle boolits loaded a little long OAL, like that of a 357.

Boolit Buddy
    If you would be willing to part with one or 2 I could draw them up and I bet Tom @ accurate molds would cut a beautiful mold from it.

Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson84 View Post
    Now that 358430 is a design I'd really like to try out! What kind of load data do you like for it? Ive done some 200gr molds in 38, but have been all 200gr rifle boolits loaded a little long OAL, like that of a 357.
    I'll be in the shop today and see if I can find my notes on that cast. Will post what I find tonight if I find anything more than what is in the video.

Here's a video I did a year ago on this round when I first got the mould from a friend. I worked up 3 loads but never took it to the maximum...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK969_kkeIM <200g 38S Jug Busters _ Super Police Load of yesteryear

I ended the video testing it in some water filled milk jugs...it's a penetrator alright.
    Now...for a .357M load, I think it may just fit the bill for a deep penetrator and have no doub't whether or not you can get expansion.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

If anyone is looking for the 200 grn RN Matt's Bullets sells them. I bought a hundred for a project but I got busy doing other things last summer. I experimented with the Accurate 36-200R and got some unstable strikes at 20 yds, out of eight shot Redhawk and GP 100 I think. I again got involved in other stuff before actually testing to confirm. The paper tears wear slightly uneven and not every strike. Perhaps the weight and barrel twist is on ragged edge of stability.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Master
    I have the Ranch Dog 175 grain TL GC RNFP that drops at 180 grains with WW and has a nice wide meplat. That's good for what I need. I've only loaded them in .357 for rifle and pistol, but might have to try some in my stainless 642. Anyone have a load that might work in a snubbie? GF

I'm just beginning to experiment with this one from NOE. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	272522

Banned
    Thanks all also Rockrat and 475AR, you had posted whilst I was still writing. Will check in with Tom at accurate, have a few types I am after now.

Boolit Mold
    Magma Engr has a 230 grain flat point where the flat is virtually the full diameter and is listed as a "bowling pin" bullet.