Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lube: Looking for lube thats up to the task

Boolit Master

Lube: Looking for lube thats up to the task

Hi all!
    I have a Pedersoli 38-55 High Wall that has a 1:12 twist. Im using a 350 grain money bullet and im using LBT Blue and it is not holding up due to the fast twist and leaving streaks near the muzzle which is causes accuracy problems. Without guessing what else you might think is wrong can you tell me or recommend a lube that will hold up to the fast twist and heat and not strip away by the time it reaches end of barrel. Thanks

You might try tumble lubing the bullets in edition to your regular lube.

In his book, Veral smith said that his lube was best, but barring that, 50/50 was the best he'd tried from all the other makes. I've got a couple sticks of homemade (not by me) 50/50 that I'll send you if you'd like to try it.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 12-01-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I've only heard good things about LBT Blue.
    White Label Lubes advertises FPS speed with most of their lubes, so that'd be my suggestion.

I know you don't want "guessing what else you might think is wrong", but since LBT Blue should be doing it's job ...and forgive me for this...BUT, maybe look at the lube capacity of your Boolit...maybe it doesn't hold enough lube.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

As Bazoo said try a light coating of thinned LLA or bens LL over top . Doubt it would hurt anything and it's a cheap experiment .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I've only heard good things about LBT Blue.
    White Label Lubes advertises FPS speed with most of their lubes, so that'd be my suggestion.

I know you don't want "guessing what else you might think is wrong", but since LBT Blue should be doing it's job ...and forgive me for this...BUT, maybe look at the lube capacity of your Boolit...maybe it doesn't hold enough lube.

my bullet has four large lube grooves so im thinking thats not even enough.

Banned

Have you tried SPG lube?

Boolit Grand Master
    Is your bullet large enough in diameter ? ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    As Bazoo said try a light coating of thinned LLA or bens LL over top . Doubt it would hurt anything and it's a cheap experiment .
    what should i thin it with?

Mineral spirits thins LLA. Heat in the microwave till runny, add some ms and shake it well. Heat like that for application.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 12-01-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Have you tried SPG lube?
    I have the same fast twist Pedersoli and I use a Paul Jones 372gn boolit lubricated with SPG without problem. Lately I have powder coated some and intend to fill the lube grooves with SPG and have the body powder coated.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I have the same fast twist Pedersoli and I use a Paul Jones 372gn boolit lubricated with SPG without problem. Lately I have powder coated some and intend to fill the lube grooves with SPG and have the body powder coated.
    would the spg lube work for smokeless powder

Banned

SPG now has a high temperature lube.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    may i ask if the SPG lube is working why powder coat and lube?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In .38-55 the LBT Blue lube is too hard and is not coating the bore adequately to provide boundary layer lubrication.

Hard lubes only work for high pressures and high velocity which makes the harder lube flow under pressure.

Below 30,000 psi and 2000 fps you are much better off with SPG or a soft lube such as 1 to 4 ATF and beeswax or the same ratio of SAE30 motor oil, lard oil, canola oil or olive oil.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Outpost75;5047445]In .38-55 the LBT Blue lube is too hard and is not coating the bore adequately to provide boundary layer lubrication.

Hard lubes only work for high pressures and high velocity which makes the harder lube flow under pressure.

Below 30,000 psi and 2000 fps you are much better off with SPG or a soft lube such as 1 to 4 ATF and beeswax or the same ratio of SAE30 motor oil, lard oil, canol

the LBT i using is labled soft....or am i missing your understanding?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    In .38-55 the LBT Blue lube is too hard and is not coating the bore adequately to provide boundary layer lubrication.

Below 30,000 psi and 2000 fps you are much better off with SPG or a soft lube such as 1 to 4 ATF and beeswax or the same ratio of SAE30 motor oil, lard oil, canola oil or olive oil.
    What Outpost75 said.

Or, use a softer lube such as the suggested SPG or White label NRA lube or 2500+. I've been using a lot of 2500+ lube the last 8 +/- years and find it works extremely well from 600 to 3000+ fps in 40 - 120+ temperatures.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I'll have to agree with the above suggestions of SPG lube for your application. I've used SPG and DGL (another soft BPC lube) with no leading for many years. In my 2 rifles (CSharps 1885 45/70 and a Crossno Hepburn 40/65) and GG bullets I don't run out of lube whether using a blow tube or just patching between shots and my barrels wipe clean with patches only. My examples are using BP only and that is a tough environment inside the barrels.

Your bullet is fine concerning lube carrying capacity, it's just the wrong lube for this application. You can try to put a tumble lube and see what happens, but you'll probably buy a soft BP lube eventually as it plain works here. Though some of the smokeless lubes (for the lack of a better definition) are listed as soft, they aren't as soft as SPG or DGL. Also mentioned was the SPG high temperature lube. It's intention is for hot environments (middle of summer in Arizona on an uncovered firing line is a good example) where folks were fouling out due to ridiculously hot barrel temperatures from firing and the sun beating down on those beautiful blued long barrels.

SPG and you can thank us later....

Boolit Master
    Or make up a batch of homemade Emmerts Improved lube.
    It’s easy to make, fun to make and works.

Banned

if you like lbt blue look at lar's Cordoba red. Its about the same hardness and is half the price and just as good. Ive used it on everything from 700 fps to 2500 fps and its never failed to perform. If you want something softer try his 2500. Nra or javalina is a good lube but it make your gun dirty fast! I used to make felix lube. Discussions about it used to be half of the posts on this forum. Its a great lube but a pain to make. Anymore i pc but for the last couple years i lube sized i bought lar's lubes. He sells them for about what your going to pay for beeswax. heck ive got a bunch of beeswax that will probably collect dust till i die. Only thing ill use if for is making black powder lube.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ditch the LBT Blue and use either SPG or a mix of 40:40:20 of mutton tallow: parrafin: bees wax. The Blue is too hard and not being fully consumed in the bore during obturation
    Regards
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast