MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: take down power of 38spl 125gr penta points

I want to trim back some .41 cases and load the old #410426 for a snubby to see if it tumbles.
    But about .38 Specials can you beat a medium weight wadcutter loaded out to avoid taking up too much powder space? It isn't sexy and the front half of the boolit might have to be sized .356 to slip up into the chamber throats. A little extra work but how many critter loads do you use up?

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I have an answer, reserved for those self appointed "experts" that loudly pronounce lead boolits as underpowered, dirty old things that will ruin barrels. I verbally challenge them (in front of other witnesses at the range) to walk out on the range about twenty yards. I will then offer to shoot them in one thigh with a factory round and the other thigh with one of my reloads....then yell back and tell us which hurts worse.

I've never had that challenge accepted for the simple reason that no one WANTS to be shot..........whether it's a high speed factory round or a .22 long rifle. A bit of metal moving along around 1000 fps is going to hurt when it contacts flesh.

The .38 Special has long been accepted as an accurate cartridge and the MINIMUM for self defense. The old .38 S&W used to hold that title until the Special eclipsed it. The Special is usually the first round a beginner reloads (including me) and will continue being popular for many years to come.

Standard 158gr police load 38sp will take care of 99% of your 2 leg problems. Every no good isn’t a 300lb dropped up warrior. If he is shoot him twice.

September 2019. Clear ballistic gel. 9mm.

Loaded 100fps slower then compared factory ammo, comparable results.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    I have an answer, reserved for those self appointed "experts" that loudly pronounce lead boolits as underpowered, dirty old things that will ruin barrels. I verbally challenge them (in front of other witnesses at the range) to walk out on the range about twenty yards. I will then offer to shoot them in one thigh with a factory round and the other thigh with one of my reloads....then yell back and tell us which hurts worse.

I've never had that challenge accepted for the simple reason that no one WANTS to be shot..........whether it's a high speed factory round or a .22 long rifle. A bit of metal moving along around 1000 fps is going to hurt when it contacts flesh.

The .38 Special has long been accepted as an accurate cartridge and the MINIMUM for self defense. The old .38 S&W used to hold that title until the Special eclipsed it. The Special is usually the first round a beginner reloads (including me) and will continue being popular for many years to come.
    My brother and I used a similar criteria during beer 🍺 accompanied “discussions” regarding cartridge and firearm efficacy. To wit: e.g. “Would you stand 100yds away from me and yell obscenities if I had say my scoped 2” Ruger Security Six . . . “ (note: The situation was hypothetical. The Ruger was not. This opened other discussions of course with the general theme “Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should . . . .”)

Thanks for the memory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12