MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: 1849 Colt

Boolit Buddy

1849 Colt

Working on an 1849 Colt with a few issues. Gun wouldn't catch half cock and wouldn't advance the cylinder initially. Stripped it down and cleaned out a bunch of gunk. The half cock catches every time now and the cylinder advances on a few chambers, but not all. Messing around with it, and found if you aim the barrel straight up, it will advance all six cylinders. If its aimed straight down or in firing position, mostly it will not advance the cylinder. Any ideas?

It sounds like the hand spring is broken to me. Worth a look.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It sounds like the hand spring is broken to me. Worth a look.
    Is that the 2 arm spring in front of the trigger? If so, 1 of those arms was shorter than the other, not sure how it is supposed to be though. The arm/spring closest to the side of the frame was shorter than the other.

Nevermind, I see that is the trigger spring and looks correct based on pictures I found.

Tore it down again, the hand spring doesn't look broken to me. However it is a wire spring. I checked Lodgewood and the spring they show is a flat spring. So perhaps the spring has been replaced and not done correctly.
    Last edited by hawkenhunter50; 12-01-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Boolit Master

Had one in several years back the the star on the rear of the cylinder was wore down. If yours works when pointing up, maybe the barrel to cylinder gap is to much allowing the cylinder to move forward. Also the original had a flat hand spring. VTI gun parts has new springs at $4.50 but they don't show new hands.

I agree with the broken hand spring. I repaired one with the wire as you mentioned but found the following a Dixie Gun Works. You might give them a call to verify it's the right one though.

Boolit Buddy
    Is it possible to replace just the spring or does the spring and hand need replaced together?

I have the chance to buy this revolver but wanted to see if it could be made functional first. The star at the rear of the cylinder does seem to have some wear. Not sure if the cylinder may be a replacement. It has a matching serial number but most of the cylinder scene is very worn, however the serial number is easily readable.

Perhaps this is best left for someone else. Overall a nice little revolver but has had some bluing added and the mechanical issues mentioned, may not be worth the $600.

Boolit Master
    Just random thoughts as I read the post.

Yes, it is possible to replace the spring. I would check the end play of the cylinder, if it is moving too far forward the hand can't reach the ratchet to turn the cylinder. It's possible the ratchet or the hand are worn, if one or both are, the probable solution is to get a longer hand or TIG up the original and refit it. Under most circumstances I wouldn't try to build up and recut the ratchet.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

I made a new ratchet several years back for an 1849. Machined out the part then bored out the back of the cylinder and soldered it in. Changed the timing by heating it up and turning it a bit. Worked fine.