RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Sharpshooter .22lr reloading kit...

Boolit Buddy

Sharpshooter .22lr reloading kit...

...has functionality improved at all to the point where at least somewhat reliable bullets and rounds can be produced?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Yes ... what are you going to use for primed empty cases?
    Better, look at what’s available here too ... https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/shop
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-01-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Yes ... what are you going to use for primed empty cases?
    Better, look at what’s available here too ... https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/shop
    What are you saying yes to? Are you familiar with the kit I'm referencing? It comes with the mold and everything needed to re-prime/re-load the rounds. Might also need matches, I honestly forget. Under $100.

Now I'm not sure what all I'd need but on the page you linked to, it looks like the same setup would cost around $1k to piece together give or take.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
    What are you saying yes to? Are you familiar with the kit I'm referencing? It comes with the mold and everything needed to re-prime/re-load the rounds. Might also need matches, I honestly forget. Under $100.

Now I'm not sure what all I'd need but on the page you linked to, it looks like the same setup would cost around $1k to piece together give or take.
    I have been reloading 22lr since late 2015. Make all my own molds, dies etc. Very very different than the Sharpshooter kit. The kit is more like a toy.

Boolit Master
    You just reuse the cases you fired.
    bang out the dent from the firing pin, scrape out the old ash and put in new priming paste.
    Let it dry, add new powder charge, new bullet and crimp case onto bullet.
    Ready to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    The mold is kind f crappy. It works, but is not machined like it shows. It will make usable bullets, and it does crimp down the bullet. I put some wood dowel handles on mine. They get pretty damn hot! The sizing die is nice, if you order it. I also have a crimping die. The bullet mold from old west is the best. The priming compound is essentially the old H48 priming compound, but it works great. It is corrosive, so cleaning after shooting is essential. I use it, but bought enough chemicals to make several hundred thousand primers, percussion caps, 22 shells, etc. for probably under $50. For cleaning the old primer out of the rim, I use a modified allen wrench. Works good.

It's fun to mess with.

So, to answer your question, yes it works, but you can make a much better kit for just a little more jing. In any case, use the prime all kit. It really does work out good. I wouldn't say it was wasted money. It's a good start to developing your own system for doing it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Think about why you want to reload .22's.

Off hand I see these scenarios;

First is for "fun" and the ability to do it. If so, go for it!

Second, to save money. Not likely to happen and better off working part time as a Wally World greeter.

Third, to address shortages/high prices. BTW, my only reason to consider it but it failed for me. Way too time consuming for my needs. For hunting, it makes more sense to stock a four year supply (put 2000 rounds in a locked ammo box and not touch it until needed; costs less than $100). For plinking, I decided to buy a good air gun. Pellets are plentiful even during this time of shortages and in fact I have purchased pellets on sale! Cannot imagine reloading 500 .22 LR's for a weekend of plinking when I can buy .22 pellets for under $15/500.

Fourth, is SHTF for hunting/bartering. Still makes no sense. Buy .22's when on sale and stock up. BTW, I have done that and all my .22LR ammo is currently "free". During the last shortage I sold less than half of my inventory and what was left was "free". Bought back in for $200/case when prices came down. I will do it again during this shortage.

BTW, an airgun will harvest small game out to 50 yards every effectively.

I put reloading .22's in the same category as building a wildcat rifle. No "good" reason to do it Do it for the fun factor or personal satisfaction if you have the time and/or $$$.

Always look at what others are doing, and not doing. We reload/cast for two reasons...we enjoy it and/or we want to save money. When less than a dozen people on a site like this are doing something, the question is "why?".
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Excellent summary, dverna!
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    To learn a new skill.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Quote Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
    ...has functionality improved at all to the point where at least somewhat reliable bullets and rounds can be produced?

Thanks
    I've been beating this around for a few weeks. Struggling to find a mold. The Old West is kind of pricey for a 2 cavity mold. NOE makes one but it's terminally out of stock. I've had a WTB here for a few weeks without luck. The sharpshooter mold is essentially a single cavity since the 25 grain bullet would be of no use to me. If I'm going to spend $75 with them, I might as well spend the $135 with Old West.

I've bought primed 22LR cases from Fedarm so they're ready to go. I'm pretty certain my trusty drill press and I can engineer something to crimp them with. I think a couple of blocks, drilled almost through will do the trick. Mount them on a pair of pliers, maybe.

As to why? Because I want to. I have enough 22 in stock to see me through the apocalypse.

I also think we can build better quality 22 than the schlock we're getting from the big ammo companies.

I've also remade a few primers with the compound from the Sharpshooter outfit and they work. Certainly, they're corrosive and I think roll caps would be faster, safer and easier. But I have options if I run out of primers. The same reasons - I want to. Also, I don't want to be at the mercy of politicians, bureaucrats and big corporations if I need to shoot.

Black powder? Easily made, there's a thread right on this site about it. Not a panacea, but it's good to have options.

Good luck with your endeavor, if you decide to pursue it.

As long as I have primers ( and I do), I can turn my Colt/Sako 223 bolt action into a 22LR, 22 magnum, 22 hornet, 222 Remington or of course a .223. Easier to load a cast bullet into a 223 case than the procedures required to reload 22 rimfire. Just my .02.