RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Primer comparison

Boolit Grand Master

Primer comparison

Seems everyone is struggling to find primers lately, and I've seen many forum posts concerning the use of the "wrong" primer in rifles and handguns. I decided to do some comparisons via weighing some SP, SR, SPM, and SRM primers. It's known that all small size primers have the same external dimensions, large size primers do not, rifle primers being slightly taller than pistol primers. Many of the newer reloaders want to know if small rifle primers can be used in pistols and revolvers, since SP primers are hard to find now.

I've done some experimenting with the use of SR primers in handgun rounds, and so far have been successful using hammer fired guns, but I need to do more testing in striker fired guns.

I did some crude comparison by weighing CCI 500, CCI 550, CCI 400, and CCI 450 primers. I weighed 10 of each and found them all the same weight (3.3 grains) except for the CCI 450, which weigh 3.5 grains. I also weighed 10 fired CCI 550 primers thinking the difference in weight can tell me how much priming mixture is used. The result was .3 grains. reduction in weight after firing.

I've seen reports that SR primers have thicker cups, so I removed the anvils in several and measured the side wall thickness as carefully as is possible using a dial caliper. All 4 types measured .020" thick.

So the only real difference I could measure was that the CCI 450 primers are .2 grains heavier than the others. No real surprise, I expected more priming mixture in a magnum primer.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer