Lee PrecisionRepackboxPBcastcoReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .357 Success

Boolit Buddy
    That bullet design is my favorite also it's very accurate in my Ruger 77/357 and my rifle has taken several deer over the past few years.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I thought you resided in TN.....

That might be aspangler who is on the forum. I’m in the people’s republik of taxachusetts

Congratulations! I've only killed one with a 158 gr jhp .357 at 60 yards but it died just as dead as if it was hit with a Lazzeroni. Your cast hp actually did more damage than my XTP but mine was a forward rake through the lungs and exited. Close range deer kills with a handgun is thrilling. The .41 mag is my choice, but only because I'm a .41 nut, not because the extra power is needed for deer.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and Congratulations !
    Never de-cock a Contender until nothing is in sight Put your thumb or other finger in front of the hammer. Been there also.
    But alls well that ends well
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Lots of good comments and info so far. Maybe I need a .41 to add to the mix.

Boolit Master

Congrats
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavity

Well done!

Boolit Master
    NANNYHAMMER, there's no arguing with the success you've demonstrated, so I don't want my questions to sound like criticism. They are not. I ask them in the interest of gathering information, because I intend to use a similar weapon on whitetails, in the near future.
    You mentioned using a 158/160 gr. cast bullet, propelled at a little over 1200 f/s.
    1.) Was that an accuracy "sweet-spot" for your revolver?
    2.) Was it a load with which you are particularly familiar and/or with which you shoot particularly well?
    3.) Was controllability for a rapid follow-up shot a consideration for you?
    I ask because the load sounds a little bit "sedate" (depending on barrel length & a host of other factors) compared to the max velocity I usually see obtained with a 160 gr. cast bullet. If accuracy did not fall off, I'D have been tempted to try for more velocity with the 160 gr. bullet, or use a heavier projectile (170 - 180 gr.) and try to exceed the 1200 f/s velocity mark, or perhaps both, depending on how the work-up might go.

Again, NONE of this is criticism, just an attempt to learn more, before I go afield. A hunter who ignores the ways of other (SUCCESSFUL) hunters goes afield at his own hazard and that of all who share the field WITH him. I don't want to be "THAT GUY".
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Basically that load has become my do everything load. Over the last several years it just became the standard load I use for all my .357 shooting. I've carried it hunting but only killed the one with it so far, used it to plink in old dumps and shoot various targets at the house. I'm not a sharpshooter with a pistol but this load always seems to consistent and accurate enough for when I practice. Probably the biggest plus is that you can shoot these all day plinking but still has enough steam to kill a coyote or deer. Never really considered follow up shots since most hunting is about a well placed first shot. I've used other powders/loads and some were getting more velocity but still didn't shoot any better. Need to shoot a few more deer and see what tweaks I need on the bullet/load. This load is 14.0 grains of 2400 and CCI SP primers. Make sure you post after your hunt so we can all share in what you learned.

Boolit Grand Master

When thinking about terminal ballistics one thinks of pass through or boolit against the skin on the opposite side and 'eating up to the hole' or the amount of damage done to the meat. A balance between the factors is the ideal. Too much speed equals too much damage.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I have been blessed to watch a few low velocity cast venison dispatches mostly 35 cal. The thing I find quite amusing is when a deer is hit with a good hit in the bread basket with a velocity in the upper teens & the CNS is not hit, They seem to quite often stagger like a drunk & sometimes quite a distance with no apparent adrenaline hype & several will rear up & fall over. Anybody else seen this?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    I have been blessed to watch a few low velocity cast venison dispatches mostly 35 cal. The thing I find quite amusing is when a deer is hit with a good hit in the bread basket with a velocity in the upper teens & the CNS is not hit, They seem to quite often stagger like a drunk & sometimes quite a distance with no apparent adrenaline hype & several will rear up & fall over. Anybody else seen this?
    I've seen it, but not with any regularity. I've actually witnessed it more on high velocity rounds. When I was real young, I'm not even sure if I had deer hunted yet, I was out with my grandpa. I watched him shoot a young buck with a 7mm BR from his Encore pistol, a round doing a good 2500 fps at the muzzle. This was with some kind of jacketed bullet, no idea which. The shot was in a wide open harvested field. The deer just kind of staggered around and flicked his tail before he finally fell over. Most of my own deer have fallen to shotgun slugs, a couple handgun, and a growing number to the muzzleloading rifle. I remember one faster, but most were sub 1600 fps rounds. Many are simple bang, fall over and a couple kicks, and not just CNS hits either. Many also run a distance 30-50 yards or so and fall down. One I remember was with a muzzleloader, at the shot he jump way in the air, and bolted like the forest was on fire. Jumped a fence, and kept going. He ultimately only made it 50 yards, and was at such a great speed he cartwheeled into thick downed brush. It sounded like a tree had come down it was so loud. If it were not in a swamp with a fence, I wouldn't be surprised if he had covered 100 yards out in the open. The only animal I ever had make it more than 50 yards, I never recovered. Looking back, I think I shot him in the stomach, and should have gave him overnight. At the time I was certain it was a good hit, so kept looking.

[QUOTE=Silvercreek Farmer;5046213][COLOR="#800080"]Fake news. Everyone knows 357s bounce off of deer...

Yes, much like the 6.5 creedmore, aka "Manbun" lol
    In Christ,

JC

Boolit Master
    Having tested the 360640 (150 grain version in hp form) in 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water, I found that the the deep hollow point at 1170 fps penetrated 5 jugs, denting the back wall on the last jug. Alloy was 50/50 ww/soft, and it was hted for around 20 BHN. The nose blew off, but I recovered the shank.

I've also tested the same bullet in the 9 BHN sift form, and I think I found it in the third or fourth jug.

Many, many congrats!!!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

That settles my concern about whether a rifle in .357 magnum is enough for deer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12