Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: New 30-30 Henry Side Gate

Boolit Mold

New 30-30 Henry Side Gate

I have always wanted a lever rifle. And being in my (ugghhh), mid 50's my eyes arent appreciative of iron sights anymore but I really love this rifle.
    I took it out for a ride and immediately was on paper with seemingly ultra rare Winchester 30-30win 150gr factory ammo. Ultra rare??? Yeah, I looked everywhere for boxes...Saw 5 down in Texas gun shop...but they wanted $100 per box...So making my own is the wisest solution. But we'll get to that in a bit.
    This thing is sweet to shoot. .I had set up with a sitting position at a lower than ideal 'stand' (in picture).. I didnt take any pics of the targets I used but with my eyesight (supposedly 20/30), I see the target as a blur and the front sight a whiteish blur and the rear diamond sight as a closer blur... So getting a nice group is hard to the extreme.... My shots were on target, though and the first 2 true tries made a really good group. Resetting to proper sight picture and muscle memory for cheek weld will make my shots better seeing how I cant truly distinguish between rear/front sight and target..... and all you 20/10 20/20 dudes better eat your carrots...cuz I had perfect vision up til last year! This is a big adaptation I am having to go through and its frustrating when you're used to thumping gopher heads at 400 or so yards with an ar15 varmint rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	henry1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	272385

Am looking at developing good hunting loads as well as target loads... Tomorrow is never promised, and it looks like Biden has plans for semi autos and the black rifles....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peaceplanGunPlanBiden.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	272386
    Attached Files Attached Files

Congrats on the new purchase, it's a beauty! The detail on the checkering is really nice. Plus I have always had a soft spot for a brass receiver!.. enjoy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    nice looking gun

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Congrats! Nice looking rifle - if it functions anything like my Henrys (other calibers) - the action will be buttery smooth.

Boolit Master
    Yes, that is a fine looking rifle and made in America too. Scary times ahead though.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master
    An aperture (peep) sight may give you
    the resolution you need. My advice: don't
    pot a scope on till you try it.
    74 year old eyes speaking..
    And yes. reload, but components are
    hard to find too.

That is one good looking rifle!

Boolit Master
    Fine looking rifle, thanks for sharing.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Fred gives good advice on maybe trying a peep sight on your rifle. On my Henry steel BB 357, I had a heck a time with the stock sights. (I am not only "older" - but gave vision issues due to diabetic retinapathy issues from years ago - had to switch shooting from right eye dominant to using left eye as I have the best vision in that eye). I put a Skinner peep sight on and went with a larger aperture hole and it mad a big difference.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    An aperture (peep) sight may give you
    the resolution you need. My advice: don't
    pot a scope on till you try it.
    74 year old eyes speaking..
    And yes. reload, but components are
    hard to find too.
    thanks for the advice... Ill definitely snag one..any one you recommend???

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Fred gives good advice on maybe trying a peep sight on your rifle. On my Henry steel BB 357, I had a heck a time with the stock sights. (I am not only "older" - but gave vision issues due to diabetic retinapathy issues from years ago - had to switch shooting from right eye dominant to using left eye as I have the best vision in that eye). I put a Skinner peep sight on and went with a larger aperture hole and it mad a big difference.
    Skinner... ill look for that make...to do the switch, did you switch shooting sides?

A beautiful rifle with a weight comparable to the Marlin 336, and with a loading gate.
    What's not to like?

Skinner sights may help, as may prescription eye glasses. Reading lenses designed to focus well at 24" to 36" or so may let you use iron sights okay, but the target will be a little fuzzy. This isn't a big deal really because you can just reverse the target and shoot for the center of the white square. At 100 yards a standard target is small enough anyway with open sights. At 50 yards you can just shoot at a sheet of copy paper.

A 3/32" diameter bead front sight is also a heck of a lot easier to see than the Henry 1/16" diameter bead front sight.
    You can swap it out for a replacement Marbles brass bead front sight, if you keep the open sights.
    Last edited by Prairie Cowboy; 12-06-2020 at 11:19 AM.