MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 300 ham'r?

Banned

300 ham'r?

anyone make a cheaper upper for it. Im not spending 650 bucks on a wilson upper.

Boolit Buddy
    They have two barrels listed on sale for $149 down from $249. I think its bc they decided a different twist rate would be better. Either way if you want a 300 HAMR the cheapest way is to buy one of their barrels and put it on your own upper. I did that with their 7.62x40 WT and its a tack driver.

Boolit Master

I think the 300 HAMR was set up with a slower twist to use with lower weight .308 projectiles (150 grain and down). The twist should be reflective of those bullet weights, maybe a 1-10, 1-11, or a 1-12. But I could be wrong. Been a while since I looked at the 300 HAMR stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    They have two barrels listed on sale for $149 down from $249. I think its bc they decided a different twist rate would be better. Either way if you want a 300 HAMR the cheapest way is to buy one of their barrels and put it on your own upper. I did that with their 7.62x40 WT and its a tack driver.
    care to share specific notes on your load
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    care to share specific notes on your load
    My current favorite is the 125gr Speer TNT over 25.3gr of CFE BLK in cases I formed out of lc 5.56 brass. Groups tight at 100yds, but haven't stretched out further than that on paper yet. Took a nice eight point with this load the end of last season around a hundred yes, dropped where he stood.

If you go to mad dog weapon systems site you can link to their forum that has a 7.62x40 specific sub-forum. A guy that goes by rangerjoe has some pretty extensive loads and testing in a few different threads with various different bullets. 1680 seems to be the preferred powder but the blackout powders work well with this round as well. There's several people with good terminal effects from the 125gr TNTs on whitetail that I've read as well as my own experience.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    I think the 300 HAMR was set up with a slower twist to use with lower weight .308 projectiles (150 grain and down). The twist should be reflective of those bullet weights, maybe a 1-10, 1-11, or a 1-12. But I could be wrong. Been a while since I looked at the 300 HAMR stuff.

Yeah, my 7.62x40 is a 1-12. Wilson Combat's Barrel options for the 300 hamr (7.62x41) are 1-13, which are the ones on sale, and 1-15. I've shot 147gr down to 110gr and the 1-12 with an 18 inch barrel seems good to me.

Boolit Master
    Duplicate
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master
    I also found the 125gr Speer TNT to shoot extremely well also in my 7.62x40 Wilson barrel with 1680.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Banned

have a link to that sale. I checked on there sight and all i saw was full price and they were even out of stock.

Boolit Master
    Does anyone shoot 155's?

Banned

My current favorite is the 125gr Speer TNT over 25.3gr of CFE BLK in cases I formed out of lc 5.56 brass. Groups tight at 100yds, but haven't stretched out further than that on paper yet. Took a nice eight point with this load the end of last season around a hundred yes, dropped where he stood.

If you go to mad dog weapon systems site you can link to their forum that has a 7.62x40 specific sub-forum. A guy that goes by rangerjoe has some pretty extensive loads and testing in a few different threads with various different bullets. 1680 seems to be the preferred powder but the blackout powders work well with this round as well. There's several people with good terminal effects from the 125gr TNTs on whitetail that I've read as well as my own experience.
    well everything to put it together is on the way. Only problem now is NOBODY has 1680 or cfe blk. thanks to DDILLER on here for finding me a wilson barrel and gas tube and 450 rounds of once fired factory brass for 250 bucks. Allready had th lower built and a built upper on the shelf. Have a couple boxes of 125 sierras and found a couple boxes of 125ssts and a box of the 110 barnes hp's that i mistakenly bought for my black out thinking they were the tipped ones, and found a set of dies. All set to go other then powder. I do have some 4227 and wc297 i could make it work with but id sure like to find some 1680 or cfe blk.

Banned

found 2lbs of 1680. My buddy was pretty well stocked on it and parted with 2lbs. Should get me started.

Boolit Master

Glad I could help finding your barrel. Actually saved me some money lol. You are on a roll getting everything together so quickly. Better go buy a lottery ticket.

Banned

Yup I should be able to spit bullets within a couple weeks. Problem here is its getting to cold to fart with till summer and deer killing is over till next year. Its bullet casting season now. I can at least get some test loads made up for spring though. .