Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My Favorite Part of Thanksgiving

Boolit Grand Master

My Favorite Part of Thanksgiving

Monday night , the weather is cold and it's time to take the Turkey carcass and leftover meat out the freezer and make Turkey Gumbo with smoked Andouille Sausage.

The Easy Recipe :

1 box Kary's Seasoned Gumbo Mix
    All the leftover turkey you have put away for gumbo
    Turkey carcass and pieces still on the bone , legs, wings , back , thighs etc.
    Chop up one large onion
    Slice up a link of smoked Andouille Sausage or whatever you like , deer sausage is good .
    4 cups Chicken Stock , 32oz. box . You can make Turkey stock with turkey carcass and bones if you want to but this is easy recipe ...ergo the box of stock.

In the bottom of a heavy gumbo pot brown the sliced Andouille on high heat , You may have to add a little oil or lard if the sausage is lean .
    When you have some oil /grease in the pot and brown bits of goodness are sticking to the bottom... add chopped onions (1 stalk of celery and 1 bell pepper are optional)
    Cook unions until transparent.
    Add package of Kary's Gumbo mix and with a whisk start mixing dry mix into stock adding a little at a time... I find it mixes better by slowly adding the liquid .
    Add and blend 4 cups stock and 4 cups water = 8 cups liquid total .
    Bring to a boil and add turkey pieces on bones ...dark meat , reserve white meat (if any is left) to add at end so it doesn't get over cooked .
    If you like okra...some of us do , add 4-6 cups fresh or frozen okra to pot .
    Bring pot to a boil and lower heat to medium-high .
    Simmer uncovered for 40 minutes ... that's all it takes !
    I take my gumbo with Potato Salad but that's just old school Cajun eating...
    Do be sure to have some good French bread and butter to eat with the Turkey Gumbo!
    Gary

The truth is I can't make gumbo from scratch that taste better than this ...
    It's my secrete Gumbo cooking method ... and it's good !

You can find Kary's products at www.karysroux.com
    Another secrete is Kary's Dry Roux in a jar...this stuff has standing over a hot pan with a wooden roux paddle making roux from scratch beat seven ways to Sunday .
    Kary and his family are from Ville Platte , La. ... they have restaurant as long as I can remember and know Cajun cooking.
    Last edited by gwpercle; 11-30-2020 at 03:48 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Woof! That sounds delicious. I make mine a little different, but yours seems awesome.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

BTW, I've used Kary's several times, and I second your recommendation.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Vendor Sponsor

We left our carcass at the friends' place for them to pick off of, and just ran out of oyster dressing tonite, have a quart in the freezer, slim pickins round here for making gumbo..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

The leftover turkey meat goes into turkey curry.
    The carcass is boiled down and the broth becomes turkey noodle soup.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    The leftover turkey meat goes into turkey curry.
    The carcass is boiled down and the broth becomes turkey noodle soup.
    Cajuns don't know nothing about no curry ... the last time I curried anything it involved a horse and a curry comb . I didn't kill and eat him... just combed him with curry comb and brushed him out .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Leftover turkey was frozen, bones boiled for stock and that frozen. When I am in the mood for turkey again in a few weeks I will turn it into turkey wild rice soup.

Turkey stock, the more reduced the better, makes for a soup with more body
    Leftover turkey meat chopped
    chopped onion
    1 small clove of garlic chopped per quart of stock(can use more, I like it subtle in this)
    1 rib of celery chopped per quart of stock
    I large carrot chopped per quart of stock
    Wild rice to your taste, I like this to be more of a stew so I use a lot, 1/3 cup makes a normal soup, I use close to a cup per quart of stock

put everything but the turkey meat in a stock pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the rice is cooked, this will vary in time with how dry the rice is... when rice is done toss in the chopped turkey meat and bring back to a simmer.

Optional is a cup of cream per quart of stock added at the end off the heat, if you simmer this it can break... gives the soup a thicker creamy texture/taste. I prefer without.

Serve with biscuits and butter!

Boolit Master

Yeah, making broth or stock from the carcass is something I'm real familiar with. Dad did it, and his son follows suit. Made a chicken pot pie yesterday. Used some of the stock, great taste, fat, bones, little of the dressing in the crevices for richness, can't beat it. We have a veggie tray with our dinner, celery, cauliflower, carrots, etc., with Ranch Dressing. Had a baggie of that to chop and add. Good stuff.

Boolit Bub
    I love using turkey stock to create doughs for turkey n dumplings or pot pies. Gives your crust and dumplings that little something extra instead of just water or milk.

I love turkey leftovers and gravy over waffles....simple and real good.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I love turkey leftovers and gravy over waffles....simple and real good.

redhawk
    Now that sounds like another recipe I need to write down ...Turkey and Waffles ...
    I'm all about gravy!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Now that sounds like another recipe I need to write down ...Turkey and Waffles ...
    I'm all about gravy!
    Gary
    Couldn't be much different than that open faced sandwich we talked about on another thread.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Couldn't be much different than that open faced sandwich we talked about on another thread.
    Oh Yeah ... I'm thinking a nice big hot waffle , leftover Dressing , Leftover sliced roast turkey ....
    and lots of turkey gravy .. kind of float the waffle in gravy ? ....
    Call it Turkey on a Raft ... sounds pretty good , breakfast , lunch or dinner ...
    what do you think ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Sounds like some good eats. Wafflin' turkey?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Sounds like some good eats. Wafflin' turkey?
    LIKE !

Wafflin' Turkey ... folks , we have a winner !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"