Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Can I get service or parts for an 80s vintage Tasco scope?

Boolit Master

Can I get service or parts for an 80s vintage Tasco scope?

I don't know if Tasco will work on my scope since its so old. I know this is silly, but I don't want to replace it because I have a sentimental attachment to it. I built this rifle in 1986 as a college student. I put the Tasco on it because it was all I could afford, but honestly it has been a great scope, utterly reliable and never let me down.

And the only thing I need is a screw that fell out. The zoom ring has a threaded post that goes into the innards and rides a cam that changes the power. It must have fallen out recently. I tried calling Tasco but there were like 40 people in the queue ahead of me! Plus it looks like they're owned by Bushnell now, so I'm thinking they'll tell me to shove off.

Suggestions??

Boolit Master
    Find a similar model on THE AUCTION WEBSITES, buy it and cannibalize, or see identify screw - size, thread, length, head type and find one.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sure they will send you a replacement screw if you can tell them what the size is .
    A quick search turned up Tasco scope repair / lifetime warranty at www.tasco.com and said to call with product in hand .

Also www.gunpartscorp.com ( Numrich Gun Parts ) claims to have Tasco parts on hand but they usually want money for parts .
    If Tasco on the phone is too long a hold try sending a E-mail and let them respond . If your scope has a Lifetime Warranty it looks like Taco will help you ... which is cool because I have a 1980's Tasco myself , fixed 4X with big 50mm objective ... I thought that big scope was so cool !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    You might find a suitable screw in a well-stocked hardware store that carries lots of small items.

Boolit Master
    If you know what screw you want, a great source for small metric or inch screws is a hobby shop that carries parts for RC (Radio Controlled)
    cars, planes, boats, helicopters. Those things have lots of small screws, nuts, studs, etc.

Best to bring the scope along to try.

Hello Patrick,

I had an old 2-7x32 World Class that the screw fell out & got lost,
    I did replace it with a (can't remember size) metric socket head bolt.
    Threaded in & tightened up, I used stainless steel.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    If you know what screw you want, a great source for small metric or inch screws is a hobby shop that carries parts for RC (Radio Controlled)
    cars, planes, boats, helicopters. Those things have lots of small screws, nuts, studs, etc.

Best to bring the scope along to try.
    That is a great suggestion ... now that I think about it there is a big Model and Toy Shop in town that caters to the RC and rocket hobby... a big boy toy store ... and they probably have those kinds of parts .

Another source might be eyeglass screws... I bought a small pack of replacement screws from the company I got my new glasses from ... I have lost screws before and they had many many sizes .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    That is a great suggestion ... now that I think about it there is a big Model and Toy Shop in town that caters to the RC and rocket hobby... a big boy toy store ... and they probably have those kinds of parts .

Another source might be eyeglass screws... I bought a small pack of replacement screws from the company I got my new glasses from ... I have lost screws before and they had many many sizes .
    Gary
    If you have a Cardinal True Value, check them. Our local one carries a nice selection of gun screws.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

I don't know if Larry is still in business or not?
    but he would probably have parts.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...K-Scope-Repair
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I believe Larry is out of business.

The thread is an M4 metric, and I did pick up a variety of screws in that size already. If Tasco can't/won't provide the correct replacement, I will try to fabricate one myself. Not going to try anything till after deer season, the rifle is sighted in and I don't want to mess with it now.

Boolit Master

UPDATE

Ok I did it! I started with an M4 socket head cap screw. I took a few measurements, chucked it in the drill press, got out some files, and roughed the dimensions. Went slower and slower as I got closer to finished dimensions. Then used a screw slot file to cut the slot. Fire blued it to finish it.

Viola!

I think it looks good. Works just fine!

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice job.

I understand keeping something that others may not think is worth keeping. Sometimes it is nor about the $$$$
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Congrats,good job.

I just recently bought back an early 90's jap Tasco 6-24x50 Mag V that I bought back then. It has serviced on dozens of rifles as a test scope before I put on a "proper" scope. I remember one 338 Lapua that broke a recoil lug with this old Tasco on.

It's just a super reliable daylight scope that I can trust, originally for air guns. The gas piston guns have that weird two-directional recoil.

Boolit Bub
    Nicely done!

I had a similar experience with my old Japanese Banner 3-9. Plastic turret cap broke, was a unique style and no replacement available, ended up making one and she's still ticking.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk