Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: has anyone else quit

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Until this year, I had been on the nic in one form or another since I was 13. Mostly cigarettes and dip, but I like a chew of Red Man or a Dominican cigar really well too. A few days prior to turning 40 in 2018 I promised myself I would never smoke again. Bought a pack of my favorite Camels and enjoyed saying goodbye. From then on I used mostly nicotine gum with an occasional can of Copenhagen. Last February when it was time to spend another $30.00 on a big box of gum, I decided to just see what happened if I went without it. To my surprise it really wasn't that bad, and that is more money to spend on guns and reloading. So, I've been off the nic since some time in February.

I started drinking decaf coffee also, and my blood pressure has dropped to the middle of the normal range. Now, the really hard part. Gluttony has really always been my favorite vice, I have been a mindless eater since I was a kid. I'm now seeing a dietician and learning to log my food and pay attention to calories and servings. Was doing really good 'til I ran off the rails at Thanksgiving, slowly pulling myself back on the wagon.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Cast Boolits Owner

My failure to stay quit was the comfort of a false thought that since I had quit before I could quit again. I eventually quit (cold turkey) and have not smoked for almost 15 years. For quite some time staying quit was tough and at one point I would wake with the dream lingering in my head that I had smoked the day before. Don’t give in.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Some say that tobacco is the cause of my Bladder Cancer that started nine years ago. Afterwards bladder / prostate removed. Quit tobacco in early 1980s only after turning it over to the Lord Jesus. I had tried too many times to quit and asked the Lord to take it away and I was not going to worry about it anymore. a month wert by and one morning after breakfast failed to take a chew of DaysOWork..Didn't even think about not having a chew until about eleven am, when I suddenly felt as if something was deadly wrong. Then caught myself reaching for the tobacco in the shirt pocket. Next thought was, how did I make it this long without a chew? Next thought was I know why! God has taken it away! I carried that plug of Days work in my pocket for days until the cellophane package wore plum out. Yes, at first every twenty minutes the urge would hit and I would . say nicotine fit and it was gone away. Went on with fewer episodes of cravings for a long time. I haven't had a problem with that in twenty five years now.. My wife says that she has gotten a new husband at different times because of quitting smoking, then chewing tobacco, then getting a sleep apnea machine. A memory: once as I came in the, house , got rid of the chew, brushed my teeth, kissed the wife, she said golly, my lips just went numb. Tobacco is the best thing that I know of to put on bee stings and such.
    Great testimony.

Boolit Master

sounds like you got it under control. I smoked about 20 yrs. Started rolling my own, TOP or BUGLER. I believe the loose stuff is far less addictive, and the process of rolling is part of the satisfaction. Rolled my own about twice a day; factory loads about 20. After a couple years, NY upped the tax, I got really sick and stopped. I have not quit, just have not had one in 12 or 13 years. I fully intend to get back into it when I am 97 or 98, provided my fingers will still roll a good tight, well packed uniform smoke. That's in about 35 years. Not to long to wait really. hang tuff

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations to all that have quit, I think about quitting often or at least cutting back some. I smoke 2 packs a day
    gum, patches, Wellbutrin, nothing helps much. I just need to ween down and quit.
    Thanks for sharing your struggles and victories.

I smoked for 21 years, a pack per day. When I finally got scared enough to quit it took me about 2 1/2 years to do it, off and on again. Thankfully it's been about 36 years since I quit, but I still sometimes dream about smoking. When I started, 1963, cigarettes were $0.25 per pack. When I quit, 1984, they were up to $0.55 per pack. Today I see them in stores for over $7.00 per pack. That would work out to about $210 per month, $2,250 per year. That really makes me glad I quit!

One thing I've learned that kind of irks me is the way the medicos tell you that smoking is a great danger to your lungs. They promise that shortly after you quit your lung heath will improve and eventually be much like before you started smoking. But what they don't tell you is that smoking permanently weakens the walls of your arteries and you are much more likely to develop aneurysms, and that this never gets better. Why this doesn't receive as much publicity as the lung issue I don't know.

Boolit Master
    I was smoking about a pack a day when I moved to a farm to manage some livestock as payment for my rent. The goats were eating plenty of kudzu but the moist soil and protein rich food caused their hooves to grow in on itself and cause hoof rot. I'd have to catch them, trim the hoofs and coat with a iodine/formaldehyde mixture.

I hadn't seen a brown doe for a couple days so I went looking for her. She was laying in a thick patch of kudzu and would flop side to side while she stuffed her mouth with kudzu. I could see that 3 of her hooves had the telltale signs of overgrown hoof. I made a move toward her and she was up and hobbling along at a pretty good pace. I chased her long enough that we both gave out at the same time. Her from sore feet and me from being out of breath and seeing stars. After a few minutes, she started to get up but I threw my arm over her and she laid back down. All I thought was I was in such bad shape that I couldn't outrun a one legged goat. I finally could see straight so I carried her back to the shed and got her fixed up.

I quit smoking and the money I saved from the outrageously priced $1/pack cigarettes I spent buying guns and reloading equipment. That was 28 years ago.

Boolit Master
    I refuse to trade one drug for another its cold turkey or nothing.
    now this Wellbutrin thing I never heard of for tobacco.
    I'll share a little Wellbutrin story, broke my back real bad and had a very intense 12+hour surgery that fully occupied the two of the best neurosurgeons in Florida.
    I could no longer do a lot of things I used to. DR said I was depressed and gave me Wellbutrin--man did that stuff ever get me wound up-- like I was on the best rides at universal and could;dnt get off. A dream job opening came up in Ft Lauderdale/Palm Beach area- an awesome job with company car, expense account a whole lot of prestige in the industry a whole lot of fun and a whole bunch of $$$.
    I knew all the players at the business, even had an extended summer internship there and kicked a whole bunch of butt. But this was in the time of all big companies under extreme pressure of affirmative action. The big boss said he could give me 10 minutes to talk about the job, not at the office but unofficial at a local outdoor cafe.
    I took one of those Wellbutrin right on doctors schedule while driving across alligator alley. I was so on point and keyed up That 10 minute interview turned into 3 hours and I was THE top contender for the job--but because of Affirmative action the big bosses hiring decision was taken away by the owners of the corporation.
    Oh well
    but that Wellbutrin stuff is kinda like speed I guess and I no desire whatsoever to take it again.

I quit rubbing skoal wintergreen fine cut 11/ 24/2019. I rubbed that stuff since I was 18, I am 64 right now. I tried to quit several times but have failed. In the fall was always a bad time due to hunting, after morning coffee, after dinner, working on something it always was a bad time. It was never a good time to quit. I would say when I finish this last can I am done. I would get to where everything got on my nerves. Then go out and buy a few cans to calm me down. Now I still have my cravings to buy some, especially at Wal-mart, when I pass cash register 12 where they sell tobacco products. Well I can say I am a non user as for now. Good luck to all
    Last edited by Deakota57; 11-30-2020 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Spell check
    It takes more than just reading, to prepare a young soldier for battle.
    Your experience means the world to the young.

Banned

I was 3.5-4 packs a day in 09 when I quit. I bought a new car with the $ I was spending on cigs. Still have the car. I really enjoyed smoking. But I was ready to quit. That is the biggest thing to success. I took the chantix for a month and threw the rest of them away when I finally stopped.

A couple years ago I was having some very stressful things going on and I tried to smoke a cig. i got about puffs and threw it out. i don't know how I did it all them years

Boolit Master
    i guess i was lucky ...tried to smoke because mom & dad did .

after my 3rd cigarette...i never saw the attraction... never did it again.

Welbutrin is a wonder drug for quitting smoking. Look into it if your having a hard time quitting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Banned

A friend told me those patches worked great for him. He said the trick was he had to roll 'em up real tight and light them a little longer than normal.

I quit in 1977 at 52 cents a pack.
    You have to get mad enough at the cigarette for burning a hole in your new truck seat that you don't want one anymore. Every time I wanted one I looked at my seat and got mad ,time truck was wore out didn't miss smoking anymore. Smoke free now 43 years
    NRA Life Member
    learn to make your own black powder collect bp arms as there presently not recorded
    smokless is a fad its fading fast, helped along by obama

Boolit Master
    I quit 7 years ago and still crave one ever now and then

Cigs for 12 years, pipe with Velvet pipe tobacco for 30. Went cold turkey clean for 2 years once. One day the wife walks up to me with with a box with all my pipes, lighters, tools in it. " If I give you your toys back, can I have my husband back?"

Sure thing doll!

Then 4 years later heard about vaping. Spent some time talking to vapers, trying it, researching.
    That was 6+ years ago. I have zero desire to smoke. I get my nicotine fix as needed, when needed.

I mix my own juice, make my own coils, use dollar store cotton balls unrolled, torn in half, then rolled into a long worm to use as wicks. I was changing coils every day, then cut back on flavorings and found that was what was carboning up my wicks.
    Now I go minimal on flavor, butter rum and butterscotch. Change wicks once a week.

About once a month I strip it down totally, clean inside with Q-tip and wrap a new coil. Start clean.

I have spent less in 6 years for vape stuff than I spent in 6 months on tobacco.

3 times since I switched to vape I went down on my juice till I was down to 6mg per ml. All 3 times the wife suddenly pins me with this snapping turtle look.

"You went down on your juice again. Well you just get up and go fix it because I'm not living with that uptight ******* sob. You understand? Your not EVER quitting that, just accept it. Quit fighting it. Now what are you still doing here, told you to go fix it! GIT"

Ok, I can live with that.

4 or 5 years ago they were talking about taxing nicotine like tobacco. I just used the last bottle yesterday to mix a fresh batch.
    Have a 1 liter bottle of high test 48mg per ml waiting. I cut that with 50/50 PG/VG blend just a bit more than 50/50. Call it 20-22mg per ml.

I'm using Evod atomizers because they are bottom coil, dead simple to work on.
    Power is an Aspire CF mod that takes those Lit-ion 18650 rechargeable battery's.
    I have a dual charger, 4 3000mah battery's that get me 2 to 3 days depending on how long since it was charged and how hard I hit it. You can get those battery's on evilbay for 5-9$ each depending on size and quantity.

Its a simple system that works for me. Beats the heck out of smoking.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My favorite cigs were unfiltered Pall Malls, Camels, and Luckies. They honestly tasted great to me, and I would have smoked them even if they had no nicotine. A few years before I quit they suddenly started tasting nasty and I switched to filtered Camels and Winstons until I gave up cancer sticks for good.

I read somewhere that cig makers switched to a new paper that was supposed to reduce the chance of accidental fires and people complained that it gave cigs a harsh taste. I still dream about smoking, but I know that cigs will never taste good like they used to and I really don't have any desire to buy a pack. In fact, a few weeks ago I found a new pack of Marlboro reds on the sidewalk in front of a store and gave it to a co-worker still unopened the next day.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

My father asked for just one more cigarette to smoke in the hospital just four days before dying of lung cancer. My younger brother, loved Cuban cigars acquired on his many cruises, chewed Nicroette gum every two hours, and died of throat cancer in March. He was a gifted gunsmith and built custom long range competition rifles that won matches. I quit "cold turkey" after my father died and never looked back. You can quit. Do it for those that love you and yourself. I can smell the potty now.
    If you don't have AMMUNITION, your rifle is a CLUB.

Boolit Master
    Need a reason to quit? Your eyesight gets better. Enough that I noticed it.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    A guy I worked with said he and his wife were waiting at an intersection when another couple that worked where they did went by in a nice truck pulling a nice cabin cruiser boat that they had just bought after the husband had recently retired. He said they realized at that moment how the other couple could afford to retire reasonably early and afford the boat. They sadly realized how much of their income was literally burned up in smoking over the years. It DOES add up. I have had people tell me they quit after seeing that they were burning up $300.00 a months in smokes, and this was years ago for just one person.