RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Micarta

Boolit Bub

DIY Micarta

Anyone ever make a set of micarta grips?

I’ve made grips out of hi voltage material that is similar to micarta.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02269.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	272277

Name:	DSC02270.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	272278

Fashioned after the now discontinued Bianchi rubber grips, converting exposed hammer to a shrouded one.

Winelover

Banned

Good lookin grips wine lover!

Boolit Master
    Very good work!
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I’ve made grips out of hi voltage material that is similar to micarta.
    That's the real Micarta. That should have been Westinghouse Micarta and from what studies I've done on it, was what Micarta was designed for in the first place (an electronic insulator).

I'm a huge fan of Micarta as a grip material and have always been impressed with some of the polished white or black grips. Some of the older stuff (or the new craft made stuff) has such nice "grain". Linen or paper Micarta looks as good to me as some natural materials and is tough! My hats off to you guys on your attention to detail but I'm without that talent and will have to continue to pay for my grips.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Beautiful job winelover! Those look great!

Years ago, I bought a chunk of micarta from a fellow at a gun show who made custom knives. It is probably what DHDeal refers to above as "linen" in color. I bought it just "because" I thought it might come in handy to have on hand. I used it to make a nut and saddle for a violin I was restoring and it worked great. Once it was polished and installed, it looked like Ivory. I didn't have a way of turning an end peg to hold the tailpiece as I would have liked to. It's an interesting material to work with.

Boolit Master
    I once made a knife, using micarta for the scales. While the scales turned out ok, the micarta was a bear to work with.

Boolit Master

You bet, have used denim and thick colored paper to make several sets of 1911 grips.

Boolit Master
    Some of the fancy exersize machines like the tread mills have a thick base plate made out of micarta. Sears brand comes to mind. The wife would kill me if she saw me disassembling her treadmill just for the micarta. It's not a little piece either. probably 2' wide
    and 5-6' long and about 5/8ths thick. Frank

Boolit Master
    Micarta is pretty easy to work with. Some of the micarta folding knives I have made, in the past. The second one has the matching micarta scales as the grips on the Model 60. Also made a matching grips for my Browning HP. Don't have a picture of those, available. Scrimshaw work was jobbed out.

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	272353

Winelover

Boolit Master
    winelover you do nice work !

Boolit Bub
    I've got a new to me FA that has the rubber grips. Don't care for the grips at all. Not sure if I want to spend the money to send the whole gun back to FA just for grips.

Boolit Master
    The only thing I can add to whether you want to send it back or not is will you want to have them do any other work while it's there. Does it have their action job? Tigger stop? Possibly an older one with the non replaceable firing pin? Maybe flute the cylinder?

I had to send a FA83 back for the action job as it was listed as having it and didn't. It showed the end of the box but being both impatient and a knothead, I didn't pay attention. As I didn't use an FFL to ship it, it was expensive. Bundle any stuff you want done and send it. FWIW, their grip fit is seamless on my 4. A fingernail cannot feel the lines.

3 of mine have black Micarta and one has the wood. When and if the one with the wood grips breaks a firing pin (it's an older model 83 with the fixed pin and hardened barrel bushing), it'll go back for the replaceable firing pin, black Micarta, and fluting to match the other 3.

Don't rule out the white Micarta (almost a cream color to my eyes) as it's not seen as often. More expensive for whatever reason, but it looks really nice.
    Last edited by DHDeal; 11-30-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have made Micarta out of many different materials one that I really like a lot is using a ivory colored paper it looks very much like ivory and is extremely strong and stable just make sure the resin is deeply embedded into the material it works great on knives and handgun grips.

Boolit Bub
    Both of my FAs have the replaceable firing pin. The 475 has wood stocks which fit me well. I knew I wasn't going to love the rubber because I once owned a 454 with them and it wasn't great. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Send it out or DIY. Sending it from AK gets spendy quick. Even with an FFL sending it itdd not cheap

Aaron

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    No, I suspect it isn't cheap coming from Alaska.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flint45 View Post
    I have made Micarta out of many different materials one that I really like a lot is using a ivory colored paper it looks very much like ivory and is extremely strong and stable just make sure the resin is deeply embedded into the material it works great on knives and handgun grips.
    I'd love to see some of your work. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm a big fan of Micarta and from the examples I've seen, the paper adds that grain and makes it look like an organic material. I've had to get Holly grips to simulate ivory but the white paper Micarta simulates it even better (plus it's tough). I might be gun poor, but my wallet draws the line concerning ivory.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Micarta is pretty easy to work with. Some of the micarta folding knives I have made, in the past. The second one has the matching micarta scales as the grips on the Model 60. Also made a matching grips for my Browning HP. Don't have a picture of those, available. Scrimshaw work was jobbed out.

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	272353

Winelover
    That is some fine work!

Boolit Master
    The scrimshawed knife is handled in ivory micarta. It ages just like ivory. Randall custom knives, out of Orlando, use to offer it as an optional handle material, don't know if they still do. Sometimes it's unobtainable.

Winelover