Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: I'm doing it wrong, right?

Boolit Buddy

I'm doing it wrong, right?

I generally buy cast pistol bullets .357 and .44's. But when I started shooting cast rifle, I got a couple of Lee .38 TL moulds. 148 DEWC and 160 gr SWC.
    Neither of these shot well in my Colts. I didn't size them, just lubed with Lee Mule snot and loaded. The other day I measured them and found that they had .360" driving bands at the front and rear. The TL bands are .357 but the front and rear bands are ~.359-.360".

Colts have the reputation of being tight bores and I wondering if I should size them to .357-.356? I don't need Super Hi Vel loads just hole punchers/ plinkers for clays on the 50 yard berm.

Have I been doing it wrong?

Boolit Master
    Are the cast bullets a slide fit in the cylinder throats or free fall through? If necessary, slug the cylinder throats and that is what you should use for the bullet sized to diameter or about .005" less.

Edit per BC17A (good catch, thank you.)
    I think you meant .0005", just so someone doesn't follow that advise to the letter.
    Last edited by Dusty Bannister; 12-05-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll check that. Nope, not in my Police Positive. I didn't check the other five, but I expect not there either as they are all pretty 'unworn'. Well maybe my Officers Modle Match that I inherited from my Grandpa, its been shot, A lot!

I would size them to .357".

Boolit Buddy
    I checked using a 125 gr Speer Jacketed I had and it fits my PP with a little to spare. Mouths mic .357" so I'll order a .357 die to use up the Lees I have. Realisticly I think I can buy .357 bullets from my local shop and be ahead, labor/$ wise, and just cast rifle bullets as I can't buy them local. No use wasting my alloy on pistol boolets.

I almost don't know enough to speak with any authority on this subject, but I have heard and read that Colt revolver barrels tightened slightly toward the muzzle end, and that is why the famous pistol smith Bill Davis (whom I knew), the inventor of the Smolt which was a very accurate PPC revolver, used the Colt barrels on the S&W frames as the Colt barrels were the most accurate. If you want a real treat, buy some 148 gr. .357" dia. wadcutters, either hollow base or double ended, and try them in your Colts. These do not, or should not, have oversized driving bands, just a uniform .357" diameter. Try 2.5 gr. Bullseye.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Are the cast bullets a slide fit in the cylinder throats or free fall through? If necessary, slug the cylinder throats and that is what you should use for the bullet sized to diameter or about .005" less.
    I think you meant .0005", just so someone doesn't follow that advise to the letter.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm in the process of getting ready for some .38 Special WC fun. My mold is the Lee 358-148 WC with conventional lube grooves. It drops about .359", my plan is to run them through a Lee .358 sizing die and tumble lube with BLL. Should be a lot quicker than using a lubrisizer, except for the drying time.

Robert