WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataPBcastco
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitetail staying for supper

Whitetail staying for supper

He came through the yard on turkey day afternoon. 105gr of lead, 1000fps, deer and the neighbors never knew what happened.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1126201652a.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	272283

Boolit Master

Wow, that’s a nice buck!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and Congratulations !!
    That looks like a fine old buck !
    Write a bit about the old Remington. I am rather fond of Rollers. Is the bullet weight above a "wrong key jabbed" ?
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Awesome deer!!! Good looking RB too. What is it chambered for?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

USMC 77, USRA 79

holy moly!!! nice nice fattie buck!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Well Done ! Do tell about the rifle
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Great buck.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Yes, tell more about the rifle......and how much meat ya got. I never could figure out how to cook antlers.
    NRA Benefactor

Well, the rifle is a Remington, No. 1-1/2, .32XL rimfire. 1-1/2's are very similar to the No. 1 Sporting Rifles, same internal guts but more petite regarding outside dimensions and chambered in rimfire and pistol calibers. Scope is a Lyman 5A, JB'd the blocks to the barrel, not wanting to D&T a fairly pristine gun. Turned the shells for this one out of brass rod. Drilled and reamed a .223 hole end to end through the center. Counter bored one end .299 for the heel of a Lyman 299154, other end counter bored for .22 rim. Use a Level #2 nail gun blank for both primer and propellant. The old 1/8" diameter firing pin had plenty of overlap to hit the .22, I machined an eccentric end so it only hits on the .22 and clears the part of the shell bigger than that. I hope that explanation makes sense. I'm attaching a photo of several methods I have used to make .32RF ammo using .22 and .27 blanks for primers. The load I use in this rifle uses a case similar to the one on the left. You can see a firing pin strike at about 4 o'clock on the "primer/.22 blank" if you look close.
    It is a very accurate and reliable load in that rifle and one of the beauties is that every day since Obama first got elected till today I can go to the local backwater hardware store and buy those nail gun blanks off the shelf for $8.00/100. It is quiet, not even as loud as a std. vel. .22, maybe the 28" barrel helps there. There are a number of houses around 150 yards away and I am just trying to be discreet. One shot, right behind the ear ranging kitty corner forward and he went 3 feet. Straight down.
    Don't know what he weighs, I usually just weigh the meat when I put it in the freezer but I will let him hang a week or 2 first, weather is just either side of freezing so he will age nicely.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020385.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	272295
    Last edited by kootne; 11-29-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Yeeee Hawwww
    That's what we are talking about
    Well done front and back
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Top Shelf I must say!! The Buck, The Rifle, The Marksmanship, & Quite a talent with your ammo. Again I Say Top Shelf!! Thanks for Sharin'

Now that cartridge adapter is genius ! Primer and powder charge all in one .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Precision placement performed the penalty for trespassing. He picked the wrong yard to cross. Everything aligned this time; I would not bet on next time.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That is ingenuity in the highest order. So glad you shared both pictures with us. Three decades ago I used to load up 20 or 30 grains of black power in the 32 T/C Cherokee muzzleloader that propelled a 110 grain conical boolit quite accurately. I am sure that projectile was moving faster than 1,000fps, though. And, too, the neighbors certainly heard it, even from over a 1/4 mile away. Never shot a deer with that combination, as Ohio would frown terribly about that practice, but it was wicked on squirrels. Moved on to the round ball, as you know, 110 grains of lead for a squirrel is way overkill, but not for a buck like you have there.

Boolit Master
    That is easily the coolest thing Ive read in awhile. Great job and thank you for sharing your ingenuity/craftsmanship.

Thanks, guys, for all the nice comments. Just for the record, the idea of a blank to prime a rimfire case is not my own invention. As far as I have been able to determine goes back to the cases sold by Dixie. When was that? 20 years ago? 30? Maybe more. They had them made with offset hole for the blank.
    When I got my first .32rf 10 or 12 years ago I had those cases in mind and did a google search and saw where somebody was using the .27's in a .32. lightbulb moment! Don't need to orient offset primer with firing pin. So I made a few. Cut the blanks off on the lathe, dumping powder and then loading in modified 32Long Colt cases with black. That would be the type represented by 2nd picture from left with 27 cal blank centered in case. The big firing pin mark on a fired case made me think a .22 might also work if centered. And they did. And then the arms race began, more guns, more molds, more idea's, eventually participating in a forever thread on this site in "Rimfire" category. Everybody had their own pet thoughts, I thought to try them all, use them to stimulate more ideas to research, find all the pro's and con's of each concept, maybe even write a "loading manual". A few too many times of PM's and posts trying to clear up misunderstandings about "how to do" and "what was meant" or "what to use in what gun" made me think a loading manual would just be a road map for some idiot's attorney. So I generally keep my mouth shut any more. But it can be done, they are fun, makes a "hanger " into a "banger" but if you give it a try, please click on a lot more threads than this one before you start. There is a lot more info out there now than 10 years ago.
    I hope that didn't sound like a rant, just want folks to use common sense and do their homework. And if you shoot deer with them, be very close and place your shot exactly right. Or for a vicarious experience, find a March, 1948 American Rifleman and read, "Deerslayers Gun" by Walter Rodgers and a response in the "Letters to Editor" by "Appleby" of Polecatt crick okla. a month or 2 later. Pure enjoyment from a simpler time.

Nice deer and hunting rig

Boolit Master
    Where there is a will there is a way. Well done!
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Kootne,

Great story of a great way to get things done. Back in the day I used to work in a machine shop and can related to your process. Lots of the things I see lately on the various forums is straight out of Bubba's "School of Gun and Lawn Mower Repair," and some of it is scary. But, not yours, it's top shelf.

By the way, a beautiful deer and even prettier rifle.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

A nice buck and a rifle that has me drooling!!!
    “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast