Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up at Henry USA Firearms - a general question

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

What's up at Henry USA Firearms - a general question

This is not meant as being criticism, complaining or anything negative. I own four Henry rifles and love each one. I'm just wondering . . . . . .

We all know there is a shortage of everything from reloading components to ammo to firearms . . . thanks to shutdowns for Covid as well as high demand - just look at the high number of guns that have been sold.

The other day, I got an e-mail from Henry concerning some new models that they have added to their line, etc.

I have wanted to get one of the Henry single shots in 30-30 for a while, so I called the LGS to see if they could get one - fully expecting that there may be a wait. The owner normally keeps a good selection of Henry's of different calibers/models in stock. He said that he had nothing in stock - not surprised as when I looked at his page where he lists what he has for sale, their was one rather expensive semi auto pistol and that was it. He said that as far as he knew, Henry was backlogged and he wasn't able to get anything the last time he looked. He said to keep watch of his page listings on-line because as soon as he could get anything, it would be listed. Just for something to do, I checked for a single shot 30-30 Henry on some of the other sites and like everyplace, they have none. Looked on GB - there were some 44 Mag Henry single shots an some Henry SS Shotguns but not a whole lot else as far as SS Henry rifles.

I can certainly wait and it's not a problem - but was wondering . . . . Henry has announced all of these new models, etc. so are they mainly concentrating on the production of those or do they continue to make all models on an on going basis? Yea . . . . I could give Henry a call and ask when the model I want will be available but I figure that the owner of the LGS - who sells a lot of Henrys - if he doesn't know when he will be able to get them - my phone call would not produce any further information either.

A difficult time for everyone - manufacturers and consumers - there is no doubt about that. So was just curious if anyone has some first hand knowledge on Henry and what the future looks like for the available supply of their guns?

No surprise, here.

The Henry plant in Bayonne is very near the NY/NJ epicenter of heavy COVID-19 infections/deaths, and is most likely suffering the same thing as other companies - i.e. municipal shutdowns, employee outages/quarantines, and like issues with their raw materials supply chain.

We're all spoiled by fast food, but I believe these problems are not going away anytime soon (vaccine or not).

Welcome to the new normal...….

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I think you are right on all counts pietro. I had forgotten the location of their plant in that area.

It is what it is and I have a feeling that after January that more restrictions will be placed on certain manufacturers due to the politics.

Not long ago, I was talking with a fellow who was complaining about not being able to buy a certain Uberti rifle that he wanted. I reminded him that they were all made in Italy and the Italians had been hit exceptionally hard by the virus. It's going to be a considerable length of time for those places to ever get up to speed again.

I know that certain Henry models are made in certain factory locations so that also comes in to play as well I imagine. It was just curiosity on my part as they have introduced a number of new models. I certainly wish them the best, the same for Ruger and other American manufacturers. I also realize that even if a plant is able to be operational, they are at the mercy of their suppliers as well as far as getting the materials to make their product and depending on where the source is located.

When you look at a recovery from all of this, I think it is pretty evident on how wells the economy would recover if things were back to "normal" - but as you say, "welcome to the new normal" and I fear that under a new Administration it is in grave danger of going the other way.

I am sure that I am not the only one waiting to be able to chalk one off on their bucket list.

They are making so many models now that I don't see how they can keep a solid inventory of everything. If they keep adding to their line I think they'll go to "runs" of the best sellers and less popular models will become scarce. Marlin was kind of like that toward the end, pre-Remington. S&W has always been sort of like that. Some models very available, and some less popular models hard to find, but not "out of production." Henry has now adopted the side loading gate, and I wonder how long one will be able to get the original loading concept model?

Boolit Master

Could be that they are advertising heavily on either OAN or Newsmax (don't remember which I keep seeing them on); with all the viewers bailing on FOX networks and moving to these two TV Chanels - There may be a quite a few people who never saw the Henry rifles before and decided to buy one.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Like I said, I can be patient and wait for what I want, but if it is hard to find a lot of the models now - I just wonder why Henry is continuing to advertise on TV promoting their firearms as an excellent 'Christmas gift"? I hav seen the ad run a number of times now.

I know that everyone likes different things - and as you point out, they have added the side loading gate to a number of their lever guns now. I have a steel BB 357 with the tube loading and I like it just fine - but that's me. I am just wondering why, when - if plants have been shut down, all the changes and new models - and the advertising - when from my conversation with the LGS owner, there is a problem in getting delivery. Gun sales have certainly been up and I'm sure that has sucked up a lot of the back stock. I just hope that they aren't expanding too fast with the idea of trying to please all those who they perceive want certain things and not be able to deliver. Watching their ads on TV, one would think they would have no problem getting whatever model they wanted to give to someone for Christmas - not from what I'm hearing as far as dealers being able to get stock in?

An old, old rule of marketing is to advertise heavily during downturns. The idea is to pick up market share at the expense of your competitors, which you will keep when times improve. While the Chinese Lung Aids epidemic isn't your usual cyclic economic slowdown, I think the rule may still apply. Especially with Remington going to pot. Marlin production will be disrupted for a while until Ruger digests what they've bought. Machinery has to be moved and set up, personnel trained, supply chains reforged, und-und-und.
    Cognitive Dissident

Considering Ruger's lousy quality control and their penchant for hiring and training chimpanzees to run their machines, I think that you can kiss Marlin goodbye this time.
    Remington almost killed Marlin, and then finally turned it around and was finally making decent rifles again. But Ruger? Good luck.

All the more reason for Henry to put the pedal to the metal.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

I have one Henry rifle its the Henry reproduction with the case hardened frame in 44 40. Very nice rifle. I believe they do a very good job on their firearms as to fit finish reliability and accuracy. I have seen their ads on OAN and the western channel both.

What I would like to see them do is a reproduction upgrade of the savage 99 or Winchester 88. Modern machining materials and engineering would reesult in some very nice lever actions. Also some of the modern calibers would be interesting. 6.5 creedmoor, 300 BO, 450 ???. Maybe some straight walls for states restricted to them for deer hunting

Boolit Bub
    Its tough to buy right now. I’m looking for a new model Henry in 44 Mag myself.

Boolit Bub
    I emailed Henry 3 weeks ago about availability of their X Model in 357, here's part of what I got back.

Rest assured, we are now at record levels of production and we are shipping to our wholesale distributors on a regular basis.

At this time, we ask that you please work with your local Henry dealer to ensure that they have an order placed for you through their distributor. Please accept our apologies in advance for the wait that you may experience before the dealer receives your order.

I placed an order the next day through my LGS, we'll see how long it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Marlin production will be disrupted for a while until Ruger digests what they've bought. Machinery has to be moved and set up, personnel trained, supply chains reforged, und-und-und.
    It's worse than that. Ruger didn't get any machinery, tooling, inventory, etc in the deal. They got the Marlin name, thats it! It'll be a while, they're already busier than a cat on a hot tin roof. They send out "We're highering" emails a couple times week.

It gets worse.... Looks like someone forgot to renew Marlin's domain....

Last edited by Ziptar; 12-07-2020 at 02:55 AM. Reason: New information..

Surely they got the intellectual property....CAD files, material specifications, process sheets, advertising graphics, owners manual files, etc.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    One doesn't put someone else's files in one's own machines, with some stock, and magically have parts coming out straight away.
    Doesn't work like that.

Well, it's certainly true that a CNC program written for a Mori Seiki won't run on a Haas, but if you have the 3D CAD models it's just a matter of running your own post-processor to create a program for your Haas. **

Intellectual property I should have included was fixture drawings, because you'll have to recreate the fixtures. That'll take a couple of months. Tool configurations will be on the process sheets. Typically there's one sheet for each tool.

** Ditto the CMM programs, assuming you're doing your in-process gaging with a CMM. Which you bloody well should be in this day and age. (Preferably a Zeiss!!!)
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Mold
    I made an unexpected sale back in August so had extra cash. Called my local Henry dealer and he had just got what I wanted in, H0001 a iron. 22cal lever. He put it back as it was close to closing time. Went up the next day and bought it. That was the last Henry he had received. Been to the store a couple time for ML supplies, bullets etc. Sure glad I made the move and bought when I did or I may have never owned a Henry Rifle.

Sometimes your fairy godmother smiles on you and says "You've been such a good boy".
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I have been wanting to get a Henry BigBoy Carbine all steel .44 magnum with a 16" barrel for some time.

They are about like "Big Foot",.... I hear about them, sometimes get to see a picture, but I can't find any!

Sometime in the future,...hopefully!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

In a moment of weakness I purchased a Henry h001y for my son , and am buying the replacement hi-viz sight and a peep for it , I almost bought one for myself , but resisted the temptation , Sportsmans Warehouse $329 , I know I should have bought one for myself .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast