RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Micarta

Boolit Master

I've got quite a bit of Micarta that I got as scrap when I was working. It is all the electrical insulating material that was used on very high voltage equipment. What I have is kraft/phenolic brown. I've used it for various applications but never for stocks/handles. My skills don't lend to that type of work. The stuff I have doesn't look very good anyway. It sure does stink when run across the table saw or when drilled. Whenever I do any of that, I have to put my clothes in the wash.

As Winelover said, it is somewhat rare today, especially in the decorative types. Westinghouse was the original manufacturer, my employer when I first learned about the stuff. I continued to work for the successor company after Westinghouse went under. I retired almost 15 years ago and I don't know what is used as electrical insulation in the large transformers now. Maybe someone still makes the insulating stuff. Have no idea about the decorative Micarta either.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    I read the title on this and thought maybe the OP was going to give instructions on how one could make steps to make Micarta oneself. I remember seeing some 30-40 years ago that people were making themselves using a variety of types of cloth and paper. Some of them were very attractive and seemed pretty durable as well.

Can anybody post a reference to D-I-Y making of Micarta? I’m thinking an ivory colored silk based Micarta would be neat to work with.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    There are video's on youtube showing how to make it. Doesn't seem that hard to do really. I was just wondering if anyone here has done it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12