Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: 1886 Winchester problems

Boolit Bub

1886 Winchester problems

I can't get a round to feed and then chamber in this antique 45-70 Winchester 1886. Magazine, cartridge stop, and lifter work fine. Round makes it about into the chamber as you see it and then jams and the cartridge base refuses to jump up and get in line with the bore axis. No reasonable amount of hand pressure on the lever will budge it. Gun letters as a 45-70 but I can't say if the bbl is original. I didnt look at it closely before sending it off to Turnbull for restoration but since they didnt do the barrel work they didnt flag this problem.

Although I only shoot trapdoor reloads with hard cast lead boolits in old 45-70s (they are more than enough for the deer around here), the round in the photo is a Remington green box with a flat nose but fairly rounded sides and enough of a crimp that should feed about as smooth as any from a levergun. The edge of the chamber mouth looks kind of sharp. Would a simple polishing with emory paper be in order? Its a takedown rifle so no problem with access.

Gun fires and ejects fine when loaded as a single shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l9wN0or.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	272272

Name:	m0LEGSg.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	272274

Name:	dGyUxfG.jpg 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	272275
    Last edited by 1886nut; 11-28-2020 at 11:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Is the edge of the chamber cutting into the bullet? If not, I doubt that it is causing the problem. It will not hurt to smooth the chamber mouth a little.

Boolit Master
    Is there any sort of mark on the bullet after you applied lever pressure? Or perhaps marks on the case?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Have you tried operating the action quickly and firmly?
    I had a 92 that would do this when it was cycled slowly, but worked fine when operated in a brisk manner.

Boolit Buddy
    It is hard to tell in your photo, but looks to me like the lifter is not rising all the way to the top. It should be flush with the chamber at the mouth.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curdog007 View Post
    Have you tried operating the action quickly and firmly?
    I had a 92 that would do this when it was cycled slowly, but worked fine when operated in a brisk manner.
    could be - most winchesters feed better like this than slow ..............one caveat - they call it a finger lever for a reason - that brisk action is meant to be done with the outer ends of the fingers, not grappling it with a fist.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mack1 View Post
    It is hard to tell in your photo, but looks to me like the lifter is not rising all the way to the top. It should be flush with the chamber at the mouth.
    this too !!!!!

Boolit Master
    I have to agree with the above comments regarding "manning up" on the action. I used to baby the action of my 1886 and had jamming issues. An old gray beard at the range saw me one day and suggested I run the gun like my life depended on it. Haven't had a jam since. Mine is a Miroku. I hope your rifle doesn't need a lot of work and this can be fixed with some firm lever work.

https://youtu.be/wYFn2suq6Oc
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 11-29-2020 at 09:52 PM.

Boolit Master

I have a uberti 45-60 that had feeding issues. It would fire most anything and eject if loaded manually but would not feed. Finally I found a nose design that the gun liked and has worked flawlessly since. Just a thought.

gmsharps

Boolit Master

This is a real problem when converting to 50 EX and sometimes with the 45-90. Chambers need to be polished to aid in feeding. Have not seen many problems with other calibers. Had one 40-65 that had feeding issues and it turned out the bolt had so much ware that it was causing the carrier to go down as the bolt was closing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1886nut View Post
    I can't get a round to feed and then chamber in this antique 45-70 Winchester 1886. Magazine, cartridge stop, and lifter work fine. Round makes it about into the chamber as you see it and then jams and the cartridge base refuses to jump up and get in line with the bore axis. No reasonable amount of hand pressure on the lever will budge it. Gun letters as a 45-70 but I can't say if the bbl is original. I didnt look at it closely before sending it off to Turnbull for restoration but since they didnt do the barrel work they didnt flag this problem.

Although I only shoot trapdoor reloads with hard cast lead boolits in old 45-70s (they are more than enough for the deer around here), the round in the photo is a Remington green box with a flat nose but fairly rounded sides and enough of a crimp that should feed about as smooth as any from a levergun. The edge of the chamber mouth looks kind of sharp. Would a simple polishing with emory paper be in order? Its a takedown rifle so no problem with access.

Gun fires and ejects fine when loaded as a single shot.

Name:	l9wN0or.jpg 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	272272

Name:	m0LEGSg.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	272274

Name:	dGyUxfG.jpg 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	272275
    Take it somewhere safe where you can safely cycle live rounds or use dummy rounds. As you work the lever, take your left hand and just lightly push in on the loading cover as you try and cycle the round in. If the gun cycles, then your loading gate has lost its "spring". I have an 1894 that's doing the same thing yours is doing and that loading gate cover could also be keeping your lifter from coming up all the way.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Buddy
    Is the rim of the case hanging up on the ejector? My 1886 had that problem before.

Boolit Bub
    Yep.....lever simply needed to be worked smartly.. So long as you do that it feeds smoothly. An 1886 in 45-70 and 50-110 is not a little 1894 in 30-30.lol

My 40-82 does this also. The lifter doesn't lift up the cartridge. It kicks up the end and the bolt rams it in.
    If you have the perfect cartridge dimensions for your rifle, it is possible to do it slowly but that just takes time and testing.

Boolit Master
    Yes I have an original 1886 and you have to work that action very quickly depending on the bullet that I’m using if you go really slow it hangs up I have to do the same with my marlin 94 and 44 magnum fast is better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    I have a uberti 45-60 that had feeding issues. It would fire most anything and eject if loaded manually but would not feed. Finally I found a nose design that the gun liked and has worked flawlessly since. Just a thought.

gmsharps
    Same here and found the RCBS 300-FN worked best in my 45-60.