Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice for Gifts for Grown Grandsons

Boolit Master

Need Advice for Gifts for Grown Grandsons

Our grandsons are 23 and 21. Their father(our son) and I gifted them handguns and although both are in school, one in chiropractic school the other is a senior in college, they are now beginning to get enthusiastic about shooting. They have asked for ear protection, eye protection and a range bag for Christmas, since most ranges require ear and eye protection. The range bag to make it convenient to carry these things they need to have on hand in addition to the guns and ammo.

Since there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here, I'm looking for direction. I don't want to impose my tunnel vision on them so am looking for others thoughts on these things. The more information the better prepared I will be to make sure I get them the equipment that will be most useful to them. I won't say cost is not object but I do want to give them the equipment that will advance their enjoyment of the sport and serve them well.

Thanks in advance.
    John
    W.TN

Electronic ear protection always goes over well.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

The competition range bag I have from Midway has held up for many years and is still in good shape. Wiley X are my favorite safety glasses. For ear protection I just use foam plugs because I am nearly deaf anyway.

Boolit Grand Master
    While electronic ear protection is great, until it stops working, I prefer to use the cheap little foamies as my primary hearing protection. They tend to have a better db rating than the lower end standard muffs, plus are more comfortable.

If I am firing anything more vigorous than say a standard .38 Special, I wear double protection, both plugs and muffs.

I even wear the foamies when using anything with a small engine; chainsaw, lawnmower, etc. My hearing is bad enough I don't need to hasten anymore loss.

Since most safety glasses are plastic these days, I buy whatever fits most comfortably and replace them when they get scratched up. As long as they meet the ANZI standard and the shade fits the location, they should be okay.

I would get them a big bag or bottle of the foam ear plugs to go with whatever muffs you decide on and a few pairs of safety glasses.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I paid $40 for my electronic earmuffs, when they break I'll get another pair. But what about getting a reloading starter kit for them. I know components aren't easy to find right now but neither is ammo!
    Foam plugs are usually cheapest at the pharmacy, I've had my wife buy them with her "CVS bucks"

Boolit Master
    Can never have too many sets of eyes and ears. I double up for indoor shooting.

Spare mags and a loader are always appreciated...assuming that they have ammo.

My wife and I really like these ( https://tinyurl.com/y672eyj7 ) for ear protection. If at an indoor range, wearing ear plugs plus the electronic muffs works great.

Range bags are going to be a “it depends” proposition. Some folks really like just a plain backpack like you’d carry a laptop in, while others (me included) prefer a more traditional duffle bag approach - maybe a gift card to the local sporting good store might be a safer choice.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Gift cards are a great idea. That type of stuff tends to get personal. Unfortunately, that way you can’t shop sales or other good deals.

Banned

Cabelas/Bass Pro shop gift certificates!

Boolit Grand Master

Not a reloading setup - but do include a Lyman 50th in anything you give them. Get them thinking of the possibilities.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I guess I'm old school. little plugs you stuff into your ears are effective, cheap and can even be reused and there are no batteries or circuit boards to go wrong.
    now a quality pair of shooting glasses is a whole other story, something that can last a lifetime,
    bags, ive had several and the $5 one from the big bin at cabbalas has lasted just as long as the $99 bag with a famous persons name on it. they probably come out of the same Chinese factory.

Boolit Master
    peltor behind the neck muffs. They work shooting anything and you can still hear range commands even at the far end of the firing line. hi-viz wrap around safety glasses with replaceable lens. Both of these are on the inexpensive side so you can buy or make AMMO.

Boolit Master

I have used Midways range bag for years it's a good bag But a few years ago I wanted nicer bag and picked up this Maxpedition range bag
    https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/maxp...All%20Products and love it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    A few years back I bought my father and brother AR lowers and helped them put together personalized rifles. Both are very proud of the rifles they ended up with. Prices are up a bit but parts are still available for the time being. May not have that opportunity in the near future.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Lots of goo possibilities out there and the bigger problem may be finding what you want in stock. You don't say if they hunt or not, but, if they do that opens up more possibilities.

One of the most meaningful gifts I ever received was from a man who was like a second Dad to me. I hunted in the lower in MI and never needed a compass, but after I got married, I hunted in the U.P. with my F in L and found I DID meed a compass. The fellow that was like a second Dad to me on Christmas gave me a really nice Marbles compass. At the time, his words were - "that's so you will always be able to find your way and always be able to find your way home again." I knew the compass would certainly help me out if I needed it but his words had a much deeper meaning and I have always remembered them and treasure the compass even more now the he has passed.

Something like that can always be added to if gift list as an extra. Sounds like a nice range bag. hearing and eye protection and maybe a few "necessities" for the range bag - tools like a couple of good hollow ground screwdrivers, pliers, compact cleaning kit, etc. would help them to get started off right if they are primarily "range shooters". It is too bad that supplies are so short as ammo would be appreciated by anyone.

They sound like a couple of good kids who have their heads on straight. You are blessed!

I have a set of the electronic earmuffs. Many people like them but I don’t. They make my ears sweat in the Texas heat so I prefer the foam ear plugs.
    Gift certificates are good. There is a place where you can buy them at a discount.
    A gift certificate to shoot at a range is a good idea if they have ammo available.
    Once we gifted our son a certificate to shoot skeet. They had instructors to help and now it is his thing to do.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Emergency food supply from one of the many on line suppliers,little or big amounts ,not horribly expensive. As crappy as our government is might need it before you don’t .
    I started doing this for my kids and grandkids ,I have also helped them set up a emergency water supply. Doing any of this is not cheap or free ,I raised survivors. The gun issue has been settled for a long time now.
    Toilet paper and paper towels seem popular.

Boolit Master
    I use a Rubbermaid toolbox I bought years ago for my range box. Makes it really easy and plenty of space for a lot of accessories. Even has the storage in the top of the lid for small parts and what not.

For ear protection, the nicer you go the more you’ll appreciate them, that being said I prefer my Surefire EP4 plugs. No batteries needed and their compact. Provide plenty of protection all the way up to 44mag.

Walkers sport glasses have done very well for my wife and I plus they have multiple lenses with them so you can swap to fit the situation.

Boolit Master
    I have had this bag for a few years now and it is the best thing since sliced bread. Room for mags, muffs, glasses, 5 pistols, ammo, and targets.
    https://www.amazon.com/G-P-S-Handgun...GV8M30WP4J6QW3

I'm totally in your son's target age, and I would say that a good quality pair of Range glasses would be the go-to item to get for something that is easier on the wallet compared to electronic ear pro. The pair of Range Safety goggles that I have fit perfectly over my large-framed glasses and allow me to use my "eyes" while still making sure my peepers are protected.

for something that is inert but very convenient to purchase would be a metal or plastic ammo can with ammo boxes that stack well inside of them! Even better, get the ammo boxes in the calibers they use and pack them into the storage container! I use an 30 caliber short MTM plastic ammo box and it fits perfectly with MTM ammo cases. Once it's full of ammunition the hefty handle becomes very useful.

Here's the Midway USA Listing for it. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1564173078?pid=720660

It fits 400 rounds of .45 ACP in MTM Cases or around 450 rounds of .38 Special if you use 4 boxes of MTM cases and stuff a 50 round box of factory ammo in between them.
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 11-29-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast