WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Casting 22 rimfire bullets

Banned
    Before I started powder coating the bullets I did a knurl with a pair of matching files. It takes practice but if you roll the bullet between files it puts a nice knurl in the bullet that holds lube well.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Haven’t tried it yet... away to lube the bullets
    * Two Pyrex measuring dishes and a piece of window screen
    * Melt parrifin and bees wax and graphite in one water heated Pyrex
    * window screen over Empty Pyrex with bullets in it
    * pour melt onto window screen and shake the bullets with excess dropping into Pyrex
    Then warm the bullets with a hair dryer, dump onto wax paper and let dry
    Sound like a plan?
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    JUST what I need, another facet of reloading !!

Following this
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy
    Well BP came in and got a few rounds loaded for testing. Plan on some more as my work schedule allows? As John said, I am trying Swiss Null B for my BP rounds. Have not shot BP in a few years so we will see how they work in the revolver and the lever action.

Boolit Master
    This is fascinating !
    I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a bunch of primed cases, I have ideas on how to adapt a Lee FCD.
    I cast now for my 22 TCM - those little boolets are a pain to cast so they are perfect (maybe I just need to perfect my technique).
    With the dead soft lead, I'm thinking it would be better to swage the boolets ?
    Anybody making a swage die for a regular "O" press to make a ~40g boolet ?
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger1911 View Post
    This is fascinating !
    I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a bunch of primed cases, I have ideas on how to adapt a Lee FCD.
    I cast now for my 22 TCM - those little boolets are a pain to cast so they are perfect (maybe I just need to perfect my technique).
    With the dead soft lead, I'm thinking it would be better to swage the boolets ?
    Anybody making a swage die for a regular "O" press to make a ~40g boolet ?

Last edited by Traffer; 12-08-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Great video and I am interested in swage die set for a regular press as well, but at this time I am going to do my testing with the casted bullets. Never thought I would see this much interest in the little old 22rf. I am enjoying the process of making this work, and look forward to perfecting the process. I have made a couple mistakes, not going to lie about that, but it is sure looking better now after I have gotten everything adjusted to suit me.

Banned
    I am learning more every day. I recently learned that match grade rifle chambers have many different reams. Or in other words. There are many different chamber shapes out there. Found out that at least some will not chamber a bullet that has no "step" because of the shape of the chamber....SO this complicated little exercise has become even far more crazy as now I see that all of the dies will have to be custom formed for the respective match rifles. sigh. It takes about week of work to make one die system (If all goes well). Good thing it's just a hobby and I have the time to monkey around.

Boolit Buddy
    Traffer it being a hobby is what keeps me interested. Just wish I had the knowledge to do what your doing.

Boolit Master
    Heads up, fellas. Fedarm just got in a shipment of primed .22LR brass. If you intend to give this a whirl, don't delay. The stuff won't last long. I just ordered another 2000 pieces.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ncmn View Post
    Traffer it being a hobby is what keeps me interested. Just wish I had the knowledge to do what your doing.
    It may seem like a lot to learn but actually it's just an accumulation of learning stuff that interests you. AND a big factor is DON"T be afraid to make mistakes. Probably the most valuable learning tool.

Boolit Master
    I see that folks make their own swage dies, does anybody sell them ?
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Moderator Emeritus

Instead of lube, would powder coating them work? Curious.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Instead of lube, would powder coating them work? Curious.
    If you watch my video on Swaging 22lr...I show that indeed I powdercoat them instead of lube.
    My technique is to mold cores >then powder coat the cores > then swage the powdercoated cores. That way they come out to exact dimensions with powdercoat on them. (the swaging also enhances the powder coat, making it slicker and harder.
    In my opinion this is far superior to lubing bullets. Just as has been proven in center fire cast bullets.
    The only thing that MAY be better is to paper patch them. THAT is something beyond me...can you imagine paper patching 22lr?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    If you watch my video on Swaging 22lr...I show that indeed I powdercoat them instead of lube.
    My technique is to mold cores >then powder coat the cores > then swage the powdercoated cores. That way they come out to exact dimensions with powdercoat on them. (the swaging also enhances the powder coat, making it slicker and harder.
    In my opinion this is far superior to lubing bullets. Just as has been proven in center fire cast bullets.
    The only thing that MAY be better is to paper patch them. THAT is something beyond me...can you imagine paper patching 22lr?
    What shape are your molded cores? Do your swage dies bleed any lead/powder coat?
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Well I have a small update, I got the range lead out of the pot and loaded up some pure lead. Did not have a lot of time to cast bullets but I did cast about 50 and they filled out beautiful and I will load up some of them to test against the range scrap. In all my casting through the years, I have never used pure lead for anything. I am looking forward to some range time. Thanks for keeping the post going, and great information for all interested in the little 22lr.

Banned
    [QUOTE=dtknowles;5055445]What shape are your molded cores? Do your swage dies bleed any lead/powder coat?[/Q
    The cores are about .211" With a round nose made with one of the same drills that I have used to make the dies with. The powder coat stretches nicely and there is no problem that way. I have re-swaged many some several times by squishing them down so they don't scrape the powder coat off and they do fine as far as the powder coat. It is amazingly flexible. I will try to get some pictures up ...
    (just got a new camera from Goodwill for $5.99...will see how it works)

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Traffer;5055970]
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    What shape are your molded cores? Do your swage dies bleed any lead/powder coat?[/Q
    The cores are about .211" With a round nose made with one of the same drills that I have used to make the dies with. The powder coat stretches nicely and there is no problem that way. I have re-swaged many some several times by squishing them down so they don't scrape the powder coat off and they do fine as far as the powder coat. It is amazingly flexible. I will try to get some pictures up ...
    (just got a new camera from Goodwill for $5.99...will see how it works)
    I was just wondering about uniformity. I have seen swaging where the die has a bleed hole to let excess lead escape. With powder coat thickness variability I was wondering how you get them to be uniform.

Tim

Banned
    [QUOTE=dtknowles;5056006]
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post

I was just wondering about uniformity. I have seen swaging where the die has a bleed hole to let excess lead escape. With powder coat thickness variability I was wondering how you get them to be uniform.

Tim
    The video that I posted shows my method of solving the problem of bleed hole. Powder coat thickness variability still exists. Putting the powder coat on as uniform as possible helps...but my method swages the bullet AFTER powdercoating SO the bullet DOES NOT VARY IN DIMENSION.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Traffer;5057051]
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post

The video that I posted shows my method of solving the problem of bleed hole. Powder coat thickness variability still exists. Putting the powder coat on as uniform as possible helps...but my method swages the bullet AFTER powdercoating SO the bullet DOES NOT VARY IN DIMENSION.
    Not that it would make much difference but if you have variations of the thickness of the powder coat how does it not change the size of the bullet unless you bleed of material? If you bleed off lead because of thick powder coat how does that not make the bullet lighter? I am going to look for the link to the video.

Tim