Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Casting 22 rimfire bullets

Boolit Buddy

Casting 22 rimfire bullets

This is something I have always wanted to do, so it is a learning experience to be able to load my own 22rf. I picked up a few primed cases and going to try and load a couple hundred for testing. I read as many posts on here as I could find before starting down this road. I enjoy the casting and loading so please don't tell me I am crazy or ask me why I am doing this

After a few emails with John Boy, I picked up a 40gr mold from South West. Mold is a great, and casts like a dream.They are perfect size right out of the mold, 210 heel and 224 just like I wanted. I am using range scrap lead and just a small amount of Linotype in a 20lb Lee pot. I have no way to measure hardness, but the bullets are averaging 38.5 grains and seem to be too hard for 22rf. I am going to load them with Swiss Null B like a few on here do, but I am little concerned about the hardness. I may try smokeless as well, but right now interested in black powder for backyard target practice with single action revolver to start with and later try 50 and 100 yards with Henry Frontier and a Savage bolt action for informal target shooting.

If I was guessing, I would say they are in 12-14 hardness range as you sure cant scratch them with your finger nail like normal 22rf. Should I throw them back in the pot, and try to get some pure lead for casting 22rf or just load and shoot? Thanks for the help guys.

I cast for .22 (22gn)and .17 (13gn) air rifle pellets and use only pure lead!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

For plinking hardness doesn't matter, as long as the barrel doesn't lead just shoot them.

Casting for 22lr is a project that sounds like a fun thing to pursue. I have never tried it but I have contemplated it.
    Just not certain it is a chunk I want to bite off right now.
    Please, please please, keep us informed of your progress as I find this topic interesting.

Boolit Buddy
    Barrel leading is my concern. Loaded a lot of 223 from the Lee bator mold and shot in 223 bolt action but never 22rf. This is new for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Tazman I sure will, due to current state of primers, powder and other supplies this is all I am planning on loading now. Got everything else where I want it, and just not shooting anything now. I reload for everything I shoot, but this is always something I wanted to try. Not interested in it if I didn't have the primed cases already.

Boolit Grand Master
    If going down this path, I would buy 10k primed cases. Otherwise when, not if, the supply of primed .22 cases dries up you are no better off.

We can learn from our mistakes or be doomed to repeat them.

If this is being done to get trigger time, as the OP states, Bas *** Wallace has a better strategy. Get a good pellet rifle and cast pellets.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I don't really have an interest in loading .22 LR but I would be interested in loading .22 WMR for pistol. I pull down some WMR and reloaded them and I can beat factory ammo in my pistol. Also for Pistol you don't need jacketed bullets since the velocities are lower.

Anyone know were to get empty .22 LR cases and does anyone know how to reprime .22 WMR?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Dverna Thanks for the reply, and let's just say I have enough primed cases to do me for a long time. I haven't looked into casting pellets but that is interesting as well. As John Boy says just going back in time shooting black powder. Casting keeps this old man out of trouble....

I just finished building a swage die for suasion 22 Long rifle bullets The biggest headache were the base punches

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Gun View Post
    I just finished building a swage die for suasion 22 Long rifle bullets The biggest headache were the base punches
    How do they SHOOT????

I will find our tomorrow morning I have made 22g and 25 g 30g to test and just for fun a 60 g lol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Gun View Post
    I will find our tomorrow morning I have made 22g and 25 g 30g to test and just for fun a 60 g lol
    Will the 60 gr. chamber? I have some 60 gr but they use the short case.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Texas Gun now the 22gr and 25gr sure sounds interesting to me. Make some quite rounds for my backyard fun.

I will be using HS5 because I have a ton of it maybe some unique and tightwad and testing with some trash can powder I have a pound of powder somebody gave me in a Coffee can Not a clue what it is Then I have some random powders from breaking down Rounds found on the range

I don’t know if I can get it the chamber I’m gonna be using a bolt action Rifle for my test

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ncmn View Post
    Barrel leading is my concern. Loaded a lot of 223 from the Lee bator mold and shot in 223 bolt action but never 22rf. This is new for me.
    Not sure where you are in NC, but if you’re near Charlotte and need some pure lead feel free to reach out.

FWIW, I thought that pellets were swaged, not cast.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Jim, I may reach out as Charlotte is not about 45 minutes from my location.

Well the pistol powders work great tightwad work the best at 1.0 g and for and the questionable powder in the coffee can work pretty good use 1.5 grains which is about all I can fit in a case I did not test unique this time . Lost the front sight off my rifle after the second shot so I did not really get to see accuracy ><

Boolit Buddy
    Well since no one said not to load them, I got 15 loaded for a test in revolver. Mainly just getting dies setup, waiting on black powder now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast