Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Precision ACP press scheduled for 2021

Boolit Master
    I don't shoot a lot and don't experiment much with pistol rounds, and I load all my rifle rounds on a coax or an RC. I use a Dillon 550b for handgun rounds on which I can easily load 400 rds per hr, more if I want to push things. I don't bother with the feel thing much as I just mash the primers firmly in the pocket. It is easy to feel if they are too loose but that doesn't seem to be an issue with handgun brass. I have never used the APP or the ACP but I see no reason to spend $300 + to slow my production without any gain.
    For those that like to mess around with super cleaning, trimming, debulging, uniforming primer pockets and flash holes and weighing their pistol brass, have fun. I haven't noticed any difference in performance. If I had an issue with bulging brass (and I don't), I would change powders or back off on the charge. To me, they are a fix to a non problem.
    Not a Lee basher. If I was I could write a book on the three Pro 1000s I have.

Banned

I agree that if im using a progressive be it to load pistol or ar ammo im sure not going to prime in a different operation. I chuckle all the time when guys brag on there lee progressives and then say they prime in a differnt operation. Might as well have a turret press. I also agree with you in that half the advice that comes of an internet fourm is by guys that do more keyboarding then actual shooting, loading and casting. bottom line is if you load all your ammo on a single stage press hes either loading 24 hours a day or isnt shooting much. If hes bragging on his lee or even hornady progressive hes never used a dillion and everyone should at least once in there life work the handle of a 1050. They are a work of art!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The 550 will be 6- 10 times faster than using a SS press, APP and ACP; and 3-5 times faster than a turret.
    I singled out this quote, as you seem a little confused on what is being discussed here. The APP press is essentially a single stage press, however it has been outfitted with a case/bullet feeder, as well as having holes on both top and bottom (where most presses only have thread on top). The ACP priming set listed above is NOT a press. It is a die set for use in the APP press, as it requires both a top and a bottom to work.

I may have been a little enthusiastic about my reloading estimate. I should have said I load around 200 a week at at the best times of year. Usually that would be May-July. I don't do hardly any shooting in the fall beyond hunting practice. Winter I do shoot, but not in such volume. I know I don't do 10,000 rounds a year. Last year I shot around 1,000 of 45 ACP, and 1,000 of 327 federal. I also shot around 2,430 rounds of shotgun, mostly 12 gauge (based on having gone through 18 cases of clays), but do not load 12 gauge target ammo. The rest of calibers was comparatively minor. I did put about 400 rounds of 308 through my M1A, and loaded each on a single stage.

I bring that up, as a non-competition shooter, but with a variety of calibers. Let me tell you that the Lee APP with their primer pocket swager is a LIFE CHANGER. I dread the thought of swaging 400 cases with the RCBS dies. With the Lee APP, I had all my brass, 1000-1500 cases all done in an hour.

You grossly underestimate time simply because you are willing to load brass with dirty pockets. That's fine. I've done it myself plenty of times, and I would do it too if I had to load 15,000 rounds in a year with a standard progressive press like a Dillon 550. I want to shoot more than a single stage reasonably allows. Sure, you could load 200 rounds a week on a single stage, but that takes more time from my life than I'm willing to give. I've never timed it, but I could probably load 200 rounds on a SS in about 4 hours. Even my measly Lee pro 1000 loads 300-400 rounds in an hour. The intangible is that loading 200 on a single stage is exhausting. You can get little do dads like a shell kicker, priming like the Lee safety prime, etc., but you are still handling every case over and over. By the end, your hands and wrists do not feel good. By comparison, I can fill the powder hopper on my Lee pro1000, dump some cases in the collator, and I'm loading ammo. 203 pulls of the handle later, and under an hour later, I've got ammo for the week. The intangible with a progressive is that you need to watch 3-4 things all at once with only two eyes. Feed/eject cases I trust by sound, but I keep an eye on bullets, and most importantly I have a little camera looking at every case guaranteeing I have powder, and that it isn't a double charge. Powder cops, powder checkers, and other things are good things to have, but I do not fully trust anything more than my own eyes. That's where priming comes in. So in this perfect cycle where you place a bullet, check powder drop, make sure powder hopper is full, make sure brass tubes are filled, etc. Now you have to keep an eye on primers too, including feeling the primer seat every time. Maybe I have a pea brain, but I like to make things easy on myself. If I can think of ways to reduce the number of things I have to keep track off all at once, I'll do it. Off press priming is one way, and worth it to me. If a good on press system existed, I would use it. I'm not about to dump $2000+ on a Dillon 1050, I can hardly bring myself to spend that much on a truck.

Boolit Grand Master

I would like to continue with that thought process. Going to cleaning, some don't clean brass, which is a perfectly valid way to do things. I do clean my brass. I dump my sized cases into an ultra sonic cleaner, turn it on, and walk away. No effort at all. Sure, it might take 20 minutes or so to really work, but that's time I usually spend having lunch or anything else. This cleans the inside of the case, as well as the primer pocket. We aren't here to argue the merits of cleaning or not cleaning brass. The question is why would you prime off press? Since I do clean brass, meaning it is already sized/deprimed, the time spent to prime that off press is minimal. I have no real idea how fast I could do it. I often sit down with a bucket of brass, and watch TV while I do it. I don't think 500 in an hour would be an unrealistic estimate. For example, last year I primed 45 acp cases twice, about an hour plus commercials each time while watching TV, and it was likely closer to 1,500 cases total. I also found a few crimped pockets, as well as small primer pockets mixed in. I much rather find them here, than disrupt a progressive press. For the cost of watching TV, I primed a years worth of ammo, feel better with clean pockets and well seated primers, as well as making it easier on myself when actually loading the ammo.

Ultimately I'm unsure how the ACP setup fits into this. It won't be a sit down tool. It really boils down to how fast it is. If I could prime 1500 cases in an hour, it might just be worth it.

As for the progressive vs turret press argument, I'd still be priming off press. You have to really be moving to get 200 an hour on a turret. I like to take things slow. I'm of the opinion that if a single stage isn't enough, why not a progressive? The Pro1000 is not that much more than the turret press. There are no advantages of a turret that I can see.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 12-15-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    400per hr is easy on a Dillon 550. I don't know what a 1050 will do but I'm betting a bunch more than 400.

Boolit Master
    With the Lee turret I can load 150 to 200 an hour , with the Lee auto breech lock pro with the case feeder 3 to 400 an hour that is priming on both and not going at crazy speed but moving at a quick steady pace . Set up time for the case feeder and changing the shell plate adds time to setup for the progressive the turret set up time if you have a turret for each caliber is about 30 seconds to a minute . I use the turret for cartridges that I normally load 50 to 200 at a session and the progressive where I want 200 and up I enjoy having both , turret is more versatile of the 2 and has replaced my heavy single stage for the reloading I did on it for most tasks that it was used for.
    I also use the APP for decapping and it is a huge time saver if you decap prior to case cleaning. If I still used the Lee 1000 with 3 stations I would probably resize on the APP so I could run a seperate crimp die on the 1000.
    But the new priming press would not have a place in the way I process my reloads at this time. It just all depends on how a guy wants run his process. Nice to have choices.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh yes, the extra crimping step. I don't think it is too important for auto calibers, but I love the collet crimp die on revolver cartridges.

I don't store brass as shot. I don't size dirty cases. I don't clean cases with spent primers.

All this means I process the brass before I put it away. Not everyone is like me. There is nothing wrong with my method.

My method would not be ideal for volume shooters.

Boolit Mold
    You guys are making great points about people like me who only load a few thousand rounds per year, and who mainly focus on very accurate hunting loads.
    I typically reload and process brass in batches: clean 1000 cases, size 1000 cases, prime 1000 cases, etc. (I just found 500 223 cases that I cleaned, sized, primed, and then stored for 20 years-they shoot great).
    This ACP press (if it materializes) will let me do that better. If I can prime 1000 cases fairly quickly, I'll just vacuum seal them in bags, and use them when I want. Like what was mentioned above, the bullet seating and powder charging require attention and concentration (for safety-otherwise it's mindless). Any of the progressives do that part well.
    It's actually a nice feeling to have a few hundred primed cases ready for feeding that you can do when the time presents itself.

One caveat: for the 500 Jeffery it isn't clean, size, and prime 1000 cases.
    It's save up money for 50 cases, load 50 cases, shoot 3 rounds, and put the rest away until I forget about shooting 3 rounds.

hahaaa..."Here we go again!"

"I can do this and I can do that...I don't do this & that...them that do are ___________ (fill in the blank)" I've read every kind of subtle to outright insult on this board, hahaaa, it's a circular argument coming from loaders with different objectives and of course, we don't share all the horror stories about those high speed operations where the operator had to de-mill a batch one or more times in their hi-speed career of hand loading.

I enjoy loading & shooting & make time for each...so this is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Every press from the SS to the turret to the progressive of whatever color you prefer has something about it that makes it shine over the others...I have one of each and use them all...even the unusual variety...

One of these days folks are going to realize we all have different objectives and quotas to fill & not all of us shoot 10,000+ rounds a year.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    OS OK
    +1 there's a lot of truth to that. My method works well for me and the APP and the ACP would add nothing to my method but could be a real bonus to those that want to deprime and clean cases before starting to load them or are shooting loads that bulge brass more than just a bit.
    If I wear out a carbide die in a few years from not depriming and cleaning primer pockets prior to loading, I will buy a new die and consider it cheap compared to the time saved. We all have our own way of looking at things and that is good.

Boolit Buddy
    I know that reloading bench from YouTube...

It does not matter what question is asked you will always get these answers:

1- I have been reloading on a rockchucker since ___.
    2- I have loaded thousands on my Dillon over the last 25 +/- years.

I do not understand why Rock chucker is even mentioned for a handgun reloading ? Any thing learned from threading dies can be learned on a Turret or Progressive. If you are still learning the process on a single stage after 10,000 rounds keep going on a single stage !

If you have only made thousands not hundreds of thousands in 25 years on a Dillon you are loading less than 10,000 per year ! Those are rookie single stage numbers !!! Your press still has not been broken in !!!

I 110% agree with your 10,000 rounds per year theory. This universal belief that everyone must shoot 26-50,000 of the same cartridge per year and needs the same tools is also so wrong. It gets so old seeing ideology recited in these forums.

Sometimes we forget a hammer and fingers can drive nails. Not everyone needs a pneumatic nail gun & compressor. Sure they are nice but I swing a hammer 50 times per year. The maintenance on a pneumatic system is not worth the hassle. We do this with presses.

I doubt if this Lee high capacity primer machine will sell millions. It is potentially attractive to many handloaders. Awkward priming systems on single stage & turret Presses might make this attractive. For others that do not like the deprime & prime on a progressive this lets you move powder drop to station #1 and powder check in #2, bullet feed in #3, seat in #4 and crimp in #5. It just depends on what a person wants to do.

Boolit Master
    Now that I have a Lee turret press I use my app press differently. I do not mind priming on the turret press. And I also size on it because it handles the spent primers so neatly. So the app press is being used primarily for sizing boolits which it does well.

Boolit Grand Master

So the APP de-primes the cases and the ACP primes them ? What next ?

Just give me the old school hand priming tool with round trays back ...
    I'll be Happy Happy
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

I have NEVER gotten ANY Lee automated priming system to work right. Flipped primers, sideways primers, skipped primers, etc. If you think for a minute that this will deliver foolproof priming case after case, I'm here to tell you, you are in a descreet minority. The rest of us will have to cuss ours into performing properly. Or not.

And don't think for a minute that Lee won't follow all the comments on forums just like this one, they put something out on the retail market, and WE are their beta testers. WE pay them for the privilege of bug chasing and improving their products. Eventually they will weigh the cost against changing the item to solve a problem or letting a certain percentage of complainers vent their frustrations on deaf ears.

It may sound like I have a dislike for Lee, or a bone to pick with them, I don't, but I have had to tweak and file smooth and troubleshoot almost everything in my reloading area that's painted red. Yes it can be made to work and work well. Most of the time. But it requires user input. It will actually educate you in it's own way once you achieve success, and so you are smarter and more knowledgeable whether you wanted to be or not.

I hand prime with Lee and RCBS tools because it's consistent and works better than any other scheme of priming that I have encountered.

I think an automated primer pocket cleaning tool would be a great addition for Lee to come out with, kinda hard to mess that up.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

I'll be Happy Happy
    Gary
    I think the new style elevator system is a rube goldberg contraption, but it does work. I actually really like the new style tray. I didn't realize how much I hated the round tray, until I tried the new one. I've never seen a round primer box, I'm not sure what they were thinking back then.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I singled out this quote, as you seem a little confused on what is being discussed here. The APP press is essentially a single stage press, however it has been outfitted with a case/bullet feeder, as well as having holes on both top and bottom (where most presses only have thread on top). The ACP priming set listed above is NOT a press. It is a die set for use in the APP press, as it requires both a top and a bottom to work.

I may have been a little enthusiastic about my reloading estimate. I should have said I load around 200 a week at at the best times of year. Usually that would be May-July. I don't do hardly any shooting in the fall beyond hunting practice. Winter I do shoot, but not in such volume. I know I don't do 10,000 rounds a year. Last year I shot around 1,000 of 45 ACP, and 1,000 of 327 federal. I also shot around 2,430 rounds of shotgun, mostly 12 gauge (based on having gone through 18 cases of clays), but do not load 12 gauge target ammo. The rest of calibers was comparatively minor. I did put about 400 rounds of 308 through my M1A, and loaded each on a single stage.

I bring that up, as a non-competition shooter, but with a variety of calibers. Let me tell you that the Lee APP with their primer pocket swager is a LIFE CHANGER. I dread the thought of swaging 400 cases with the RCBS dies. With the Lee APP, I had all my brass, 1000-1500 cases all done in an hour.

You grossly underestimate time simply because you are willing to load brass with dirty pockets. That's fine. I've done it myself plenty of times, and I would do it too if I had to load 15,000 rounds in a year with a standard progressive press like a Dillon 550. I want to shoot more than a single stage reasonably allows. Sure, you could load 200 rounds a week on a single stage, but that takes more time from my life than I'm willing to give. I've never timed it, but I could probably load 200 rounds on a SS in about 4 hours. Even my measly Lee pro 1000 loads 300-400 rounds in an hour. The intangible is that loading 200 on a single stage is exhausting. You can get little do dads like a shell kicker, priming like the Lee safety prime, etc., but you are still handling every case over and over. By the end, your hands and wrists do not feel good. By comparison, I can fill the powder hopper on my Lee pro1000, dump some cases in the collator, and I'm loading ammo. 203 pulls of the handle later, and under an hour later, I've got ammo for the week. The intangible with a progressive is that you need to watch 3-4 things all at once with only two eyes. Feed/eject cases I trust by sound, but I keep an eye on bullets, and most importantly I have a little camera looking at every case guaranteeing I have powder, and that it isn't a double charge. Powder cops, powder checkers, and other things are good things to have, but I do not fully trust anything more than my own eyes. That's where priming comes in. So in this perfect cycle where you place a bullet, check powder drop, make sure powder hopper is full, make sure brass tubes are filled, etc. Now you have to keep an eye on primers too, including feeling the primer seat every time. Maybe I have a pea brain, but I like to make things easy on myself. If I can think of ways to reduce the number of things I have to keep track off all at once, I'll do it. Off press priming is one way, and worth it to me. If a good on press system existed, I would use it. I'm not about to dump $2000+ on a Dillon 1050, I can hardly bring myself to spend that much on a truck.
    You missed my point, but it really does not matter.

You know your way is the best way for you...and that is what matters...to you.

I know my way is the best way for me.

We can agree to disagree and be friends.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not sure we disagree. We just have different needs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

I'll be Happy Happy
    Gary
    yup hands down the best thing lee ever made.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm not sure we disagree. We just have different needs.
    MSM,
    The point of contention centers around the need to clean primer pockets. If that is deemed necessary, it defeats the advantages of a progressive reloader. It also allows those with presses that do not work well to justify either having made a poor choice, or being unable to learn how to adjust and operate what they have.

I really do not know if clean primer pockets will yield better accuracy...so there is a good chance your are correct. I know the BR crowd goes anal over primer pockets. And, in fact, I do it for my rifle rounds because it cannot hurt. But I am not shooting thousands of rounds a year that need top accuracy or losing a match or deer because my group is 1/4" (or whatever) larger.

My opinions are based on two factors when it comes to pistol ammunition. First is testing....but not good testing. I used to use a Ransom rest to test pistol loads for Bullseye shooting. Ammunition was loaded on a Star and there was no case prep done except for tumbling brass in media. I would shoot 50 shot groups at 50 yards. Groups ran 2 1/2-3 1/2". I never ran tests with clean primer pockets. But, I was happy with my 2 1/2" match load.

That leads to the second factor. Needs and expectations. Bullseye is one of the most demanding disciplines that requires accurate pistol ammunition. Most pistol shooters hate it for that reason. It is likely that 99% of the pistol ammunition loaded on progressives by folks on this site is "non-critical". By that, I mean if clean primer pockets shrunk groups by 1/4" at 50 yards, it would not matter. We are not capable of discerning the improvement.

Like I said, I get anal about prepping cases when it matters. It does not matter for the bulk of pistol ammunition used by most...and does not matter at all for most people....and I am in that group.

The .22 target pistol would shoot 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards. But I do not recall a significant difference in scores at 50 yards shooting slow fire. Where my scores dropped was in Rapid Fire where recoil came into play. So striving for a more accurate .38 load was not going to help my performance. I really wanted to get a Walther GSP in .32 S&W but could never justify it.

It would be interesting to see how things have progressed in Bullseye as it has been decades since I have participated. Maybe testing has proven there is are improvements in accuracy and scores with better case prep. None of the "good" shooters I got to know even trimmed their cases.

IMO for "great unwashed masses" most of us fall into wrt pistol proficiency, case prep for pistol ammunition is a waste of time. Far better to invest the time in dry firing and actually shooting for score.
    Last edited by dverna; 12-19-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast