Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Packaging bulk (spam can) ammo for shipment

Boolit Buddy

Packaging bulk (spam can) ammo for shipment

Hope this is OK to post here - it's not too far off some of the stickies but I'm looking for advice/experience shipping spam cans of ammo.

When these are in sealed steal cans, do they have to be in boxes to ship? (examples - some sealed HXP 30-06 spam cans I'm thinking of selling, but also some sealed russian 7.62x54R spam cans)

i.e. can a shipping sticker and ORD label be placed right on the spam can?

I'm not sure how I would ship these in a box without spending a fortune on packing material - afraid the shifting can would just pop out if dropped.

I've considered just wrapping cardboard around the containers and heavily tapping - is that doable? Would that be sufficient for 30 cal ammo cans that are filled?

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know how the CMP shipped the '06 ammo, but I would be inclined to just wrap the can directly in double wall cardboard and tape it up good. Won't slide around and will conceal whats there and provide a little protection. If it goes into some sort of standard box, you'd need to firmly pack it in rigid foam or you are wasting your time.

Boolit Bub
    No UPS clearly states box within a box

Boolit Bub
    yes cardboard or sterofoam
    and ORD stickers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gzig5 View Post
    I don't know how the CMP shipped the '06 ammo, but I would be inclined to just wrap the can directly in double wall cardboard and tape it up good. Won't slide around and will conceal whats there and provide a little protection. If it goes into some sort of standard box, you'd need to firmly pack it in rigid foam or you are wasting your time.
    The CMP shipped all my cans and SPAM cans in boxes ground

Agreed and you definitely want to conceal what you are sending .

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Double-wall cardboard box with rigid corner reinforcements supporting the can if you want want it to arrive intact and undamaged.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Heavy cardboard and some cheap dollar store "pool noodles".
    R.D.M.

Moderator Emeritus

Key when packing heavy items is make sure your packing material is compressed, if you don't fight to close the flaps you don't have enough packing! Peanuts are fine up to 20 pounds, after that nope, use solid foam sheet or really stiff foam rubber.

Years of shipping heavy ham radio stuff with ZERO damages. Shipped my share of lead here too with it all making it okay. Use strapping tape, not packing tape! Packing tape has very low shear strength and when those heavy boxes drop from conveyor to conveyor it can pop it apart.

Moderator Emeritus

Back in the day, when I was receiving spam cans of milsurp ammo, it always came two in a wooden crate. I sold the crates at the gunshow, people love them.

If I was shipping one spam can, I would make a special cardboard box, of a precise size so NO packing is needed. It's not that hard to do, but you need to scrounge a very Large box to make it from. also, if you can get some traditional carboard box tape (fibered), that you wet with a sponge to activate the glue, is the best to "make" the box, but I always seal it with clear plastic shipping tape.
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001