Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Die question

Boolit Mold

Die question

I just picked up some equipment at an estate sale and was pleased to see some 30-30 dies because I just bought one a few months ago. While inspecting the dies I noticed that the decapping pin is off center. I disassembled the die and verified that the shaft is bent. Will this still be usable as is?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Who made the die? Some manufacturers will send you a pin for free.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    should be good. Loosen the lock nut on the decaping rod will help too.

Personally, i would take the rod out and straighten it as much as possible, for cheap insurance.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Who made the die? Some manufacturers will send you a pin for free.
    It's an RCBS. But it is not the pin, it is the actual shaft that the pin screws on to that has the bend in it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    should be good. Loosen the lock nut on the decaping rod will help too.

Personally, i would take the rod out and straighten it as much as possible, for cheap insurance.
    Yes to what Pete says. It's a great time to clean the die inside with brake cleaner and remove any scratches quite carefully with 1200 grit sandpaper on a wooden dowel.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Go slow rolling it over a raised 'something' on each end, and tap down the high spot.

After you've done a few,,,, you'll even get pretty fast at it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub

RCBS will send you a hole new rod assembly for free.

Boolit Grand Master

The rod can be straightened with a little patience and work as stated above. First I would disassemble and clean everything reassemble and check it may be dirt under a shoulder. Turn the threaded rod 1/2 turn in the die and see if the bend follows if it does its the rod if not its in the dies or mounting.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I have one die that had the same issue. To use it, I'd loosen the spindle, raise the ram with a case in the shellholder and tighten the collar with the decapping pin in the flash hole. It seemed to center the pin. I mostly size without the expander now.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

Yes, RCBS will definitely send a free replacement. I did just that last month. Or they may be purchased for a small cost from Midway.

I wouldn't use a crooked de-cap assembly. Remember that the expander ball will pull back up through the neck. It is best if everything is concentric.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjon00 View Post
    I disassembled the die and verified that the shaft is bent. Will this still be usable as is?
    Yes. Probably.

The only real potential for harm is it may make the decap pin miss some flash holes but it doesn't look bad enough for that; just be easy with it until you know if that's a problem or not but I've seen new dies worse off center than that. And don't worry about it pulling case necks out of line, decap stems aren't strong enough to do that.

But, IF it's really bent and you're handy with a hammer, it can easily be straightened. Roll the stripped stem on a wood block and give it a few taps at the "high" spot; done properly that will correct a bend.

Boolit Master

I have straightened them on a piece of sheet lead with a plastic hammer as to not ruin the threads.
    A wooden block and a plastic hammer should work as well. Go slow and easy.

Boolit Mold
    So I went to try and straighten the shaft a little bit only to find the shaft is not bent. I rolled it over and over on several surfaces and it is arrow straight. I grabbed the pin and did the same tests, also straight. I have convinced myself at this point that I am possibly losing my mind. Then I screwed the pin back on the shaft and rolled it and wobble, wobble, wobble... The threads are cut crooked on the shaft. I backed the pin off 1/8 turn from tight and put it all back together. Set it up in the press and ran 20 cases flawlessly. I guess if it ever gives me an issue I will contact RCBS about it. But for now it's doing what I need it to. Thanks for all the help and information.

Moderator Emeritus

Depending on the Die style (RCBS had more than one type), I am not a fan of their FL die with expander. The expander/decap shaft is too small and how it's mounted in the Die is inadequate, IMHO...they will loosen up and get wobbly. I quit using them and replaced them with Lee, because Lee has a better design.

If you have this RCBS die figured out, it'll be fine, just keep an eye on the decap shaft locknut, as it will surely loosen up after sizing several cases.
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    ...the Die is inadequate, IMHO...they will loosen up and get wobbly. I quit using them and replaced them with Lee, because Lee has a better design.
    That's true but seems nothing is absolutely perfect. My problem from Lee's stems came during case extraction, the stems often pulled completely out of the die!

I fixed that by threading the top 1/4" of the stem and put a nut on it for no more pull outs! It's been a long time so I don't remember what size threading die I used to match the stem but think it was a #10x32.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    SNIP>>>

My problem from Lee's stems came during case extraction, the stems often pulled completely out of the die!
    Of the several Lee FL sizer dies I have, I did have one with this issue. I used some coarse sand paper and made some 'lines' in the end of the stem that engages the compression nut area of the Die.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001