Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: A quick question NOE 311-242

Boolit Buddy

A quick question NOE 311-242

I have finally found a finicky 300 BLK upper that will not feed reliably with several bullets that have been good in other uppers. That aside for now, I have recently purchased a NOE 311-242 mold and do not have the overall length data. What should this be in the 300 AAC?
    Thank you,
    B

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 300BO,, and I have been only reloading a Sierra Match King with great results,,

From what I have read, the bullet has to be seated deep enough that the bullet does not touch the two "bumps" inside the magazine.
    Luckily, these heavy bullets in the 300BO require VERY little powder, so I guess the bullet can be loaded WAY deep?

And there are 300BO magazines that have those bumps shaped differently exclusively for the Blackout.
    So,, Are you seating the bullets deep enough to clear the bumps?

I have a 300BO magazine (at least that is what is molded into the side of the magazine)
    I have not compared the 300 magazine to a 5.56 magazine,, I just know they exist.

Banned
    You're not going to like this answer but ---- you will have to find out what your gun likes

My AR 300 bo pistol needs 2.18, rifle a touch longer and h&r will go 2.21

this boolit is a tack driver over 700X

Boolit Buddy
    I am currently at 2.100". This is just over the driving band.
    It cycles pretty reliably after the first round chambers. Just dropping the bolt does not seat the first round. I have not tried pulling the charging handle back fully to release.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    You're not going to like this answer but ---- you will have to find out what your gun likes

My AR 300 bo pistol needs 2.18, rifle a touch longer and h&r will go 2.21

this boolit is a tack driver over 700X
    Any suggested starting loads with 700X? Or other powders with this cast boolit?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Banned
    700-X 4 start at 4 grains
    1680 start at 10 grains
    2400 start at 7 grains

Boolit Master

Thanks
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Perhaps I should have asked a slower question
    , and been more specific. This bullet is very accurate at 10.3 gr of H110 but...it sometimes fails to feed. Asking about overall length

The proper approach is to load a dummy around what appears to work and try it. Lock back the bolt on empty, then release. Then hand cycle the bolt and see if it's stuck! If not, go longer. If it is, go shorter. When you find what chambers OK - no stick, shorten by 0.010 or a tad more. Measure it, write it down. That is to insure that 'as cast' nose dia. changes won't cause a jam. You can play with shorter if you want. You gun isn't like anybody else's. The ribs in 223 mags will interfere with full mag feeding but there is no rib at the top so no effect on chambering.
    Whatever!

Banned
    or close the bolt, slide a rod down the barrel and mark the rod.

open bolt and slide a case with a long col on the boolit, hold case/boolit snug where it stops going in.

slide a rod down the barrel and mark the rod again.

measure marks on the rod

seat a boolit to that COL and see if you get marks on the tip of the boolit

subtract .010 or a tad more.