Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Best mold for my 45lc Henry??

Best mold for my 45lc Henry??

Well I knew I should’nt have gone in the gs today !! This Henry jumped into my hands and wouldn’t come out . Now for a mold , bullets and brass 🤔
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-250D-D.png

Clone of the Ideal 454190 .. original 45 Colt bullet
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I use both Lee 452-200 RF, and the 255 RF, and they work well in my Henry BBS. Killed a woodchuck at 65 yes with it. My alley is 50/50 coww,soww, with 2% pewter. Didn't get much expansion out of a 255 on a doe, but may not be pushing them fast enough

How many of you 45lc guys use gas checks ?
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Gaschecks are unnecessary in .45 Colt loads in which the rifle velocity won't exceed about 1300 fps.

If you are not loading a case full of powder, which provides base support to the bullet, in the same manner that black powder does, you want a bullet having a crimp groove, so as to prevent bullets from "telescoping" back farther into the case from compression of the tubular magazine spring.

45-246H is my design for the .45 Colt. It drops 246-grains in wheelweights and 250 grains in Roto Metals 1 to 40 tin-lead. I load 7.5 grains of Bullseye as a full-charge load in the Pietta and Uberti clones. Its .255 meplat, or .56 of the bullet diameter, is larger than on factory lead conicals and gives good game performance. It is purposefully larger in diameter than a large pistol primer, for safe use in tube magazines. The otherwise traditional cowboy shape is smooth feeding in finicky levers which don't like SWCs or larger meplat bullets. I prefer the bevel base for ease of loading, but if you find it objectionable Tom at Accurate can produce a mold with plain base and adjust diameter for your alloy.

Attachment 272309
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-29-2020 at 06:16 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee 260 gr. RNFP in my 1873 clone. It shoots sub 1 inch at 50 yards. Last year, it dropped a buck in his tracks at 40 yards passing all the way through. I'm using the same load this year. The boolits are PC'ed plain base. The load I'm using gives me 1150 FPS.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had really good luck with the Lee 255 grain RF. Not a lot of money for the mold either. I typically will cast with COWW

Boolit Master
    I vote for the Lee 255 gr. RF and/or their 225 gr. T/C. They both feed and shoot well. The latter can also keep you in bullets for that .45 ACP/.45 Colt revolver that'll eventually jump into your hands. The 255 is a little more accurate from MY Rossi carbine, but both will please you. I don't use gas-checks, but none of my velocities exceed 1350 f/s, either.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Thanks guys nice reading
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Still looking guys .. there was a group buy here but I think I’m late to the party �� lol
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Buddy

Cool

A bit late here, but the Lee 255 FN has worked wonderfully for me for over 40 years. Accurate, feeds in my M94, and the wide meplat transfers a good “smack” to game. I’ve had good accuracy and terminal performance in both my 4-5/8” Ruger and my 16” M94 Trapper up to 1500 fps. The Lee 250 SWC is ‘okay’ but won’t feed in the M94.