WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One powder for functioning M1A and M1 Garand loads?

Boolit Master

One powder for functioning M1A and M1 Garand loads?

Looking to buy 8lbs to feed both. No filler required would be a huge plus. I'm open to a currently available surplus powder if it makes sense financially. The Lee 170gr shoots well in both with 2400 powder, so I'd probably try to stick with it with the slower powder. I can cast them out of wheel weights plus lino if needed. I'm currently powdercoating. 2ish MOA is my goal, as they will both do it with the 2400 loads.

Keep an eye on Bartlet's page.
    He's the 900 pound gorilla for surplus powder.

For cast/practice loads, check out 'the load' with Red Dot.
    My Garand is gone, and haven't tried it in the M1A, but love it for the Rem 700.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Keep an eye on Bartlet's page.
    He's the 900 pound gorilla for surplus powder.

For cast/practice loads, check out 'the load' with Red Dot.
    My Garand is gone, and haven't tried it in the M1A, but love it for the Rem 700.
    Thanks Ed. I'm a big fan of the The Load, but looking for something that will cycle. I will check out Barletts.

I do not shoot cast in my M1 or M1A. I use 4895, H or IMR loads in both, and prefer IMR.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Looking to buy 8lbs to feed both. No filler required would be a huge plus. I'm open to a currently available surplus powder if it makes sense financially. The Lee 170gr shoots well in both with 2400 powder, so I'd probably try to stick with it with the slower powder. I can cast them out of wheel weights plus lino if needed. I'm currently powdercoating. 2ish MOA is my goal, as they will both do it with the 2400 loads.

??? Do they function 100% with 2400 ???

I know IMR & H 4985 will function with cast and jacket in the 308 & 3006

for 308 Loads read Bruce B write Up ... Every time you shoot Cast after reading his write up he looks down and Smiles

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pringfield-M1A

Boolit Master
    I load for my .308 bolt and Garand. Cast and jacketed.

Lots of powders will work. I'd find a powder that cycles the Garand (and does not endanger the operating rod ), and then work up a load for the M1A with that powder.

4198 is a little on the fast side, but, does well with cast in my .308. It seems to do best in the 1700-1800fps range. Have not tried it in the Garand. Have not used it with jacketed.

3031 does ok with cast in both at velocities closer to 2000fps. I think it needs a filler to work better. It should do ok with jacketed in both as well.

4166 worked nicely with 165gn and 210gn cast in the Garand. Also is good for jacketed in the .308. Have not tried it with cast in the .308 but have no doubts it would do well. It is similar in performance to 4064.

Varget is my go to powder for the .308. Works both with cast and jacketed. Cast loads work well even as low as 1600fps. Have not tried it in the Garand.

Note that the powders above cover a wide range of burn rates. I'd take most any extruded powder in that range and try it. Ball powders might work ok too, if the one you have tolerates reduced charges for the cast bullets.
    Last edited by charlie b; 11-29-2020 at 07:53 AM.

I only use two powders for 308 and 30-06

2400 and IMR 4064 all my needs can be easily met with these two powders on hand.
    Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you.

Super Moderator

H4895, IMR4895 and IMR4064 will all get it done with a Garand or M1A, sometimes with the use of a filler. 200 grain boolits work best in the Garand in my experience. The M1A is a little bit more forgiving and some guys use slower powders (think IMR4831), but I'll stick with what I know works for me.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    RL15 or Varget are also good choices for the M14, M1A and Garand. About 30 grains in 7.62/.308 with 1 grain loose Dacron fill tucked into the neck, NOT pushed down upon the powder, with cast to function, and 36 grains in the '06 with Accurate 31-160H or similar bullet cast 15-16 BHN and sized .311" with 50-50 Alox-beeswax.

Approximates .30-30 energy with reliable cycling. Good accuracy better than Ball ammo to 300 yards or metres.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

Accurate 2520

Quote Originally Posted by flyer1 View Post
    Accurate 2520
    In the 7.62/.308 in full charge loads, Yes.

In charges which occupy less than 85% of available powder space, such as in the .30'06 absolutely not!

Unless you like replacing barrels or setting them back and rechambering them to correct a "ringed" chamber.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Check out the "60% Rule" concerning Hodgdon H4895 propellant, can cast bullet loads. It gives you quite a bit of flexibility with reduced loads.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Or look up the Lyman Cast Bullet manual for a lot of reduced loads with different powders.

4895, RE15, Varget heck I even did well with some pulled CZ silver tip 54R powder was similar in burn speed to the three I listed .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the BruceB M1A/Garand thread. There's a reason it's a sticky in the CB Loads / Miltary Rifles forum. Tons of great info about shooting cast loads in the M1A and Garand which also function the action.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pringfield-M1A

What Bruce ended up settling on was using powders like 4831 and 4350 which are normally considered too slow for typical jacketed bullet loads. He found that when using typical powders like 4895, when he dropped the charge to slow down the velocity to the range he wanted for his cast loads, the gas pressure at the port also dropped to the point where the action didn't function well, or at all. So he tried slower powders that would raise the port pressure back up to good functioning levels, but also keep the velocity in the range he wanted.

That thread should be required reading for anyone shooting cast loads in the M1A or Garand.

The standard for Garands’ was 50 grains of IMR 4895 for the M2 ball round. With the 7.62 NATO Match round it was 44 grains of IMR 4895 under a 172 grain bullet

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    The standard for Garands’ was 50 grains of IMR 4895 for the M2 ball round. With the 7.62 NATO Match round it was 44 grains of IMR 4895 under a 172 grain bullet
    44 grains of currently-produced IMR4895 is an extreme overload and DANGEROUS in .308/7.62mm with a 172-grain bullet!

It is correct for the .30-'06.

A charge of 40.5 to 41 grains of current IMR product is Max. in LC M118LR cases with WLR or Federal 210M with M72/M118 pulls or the Sierra 175 MK.

The 44 grain charge is only appropriate for non-canister, military-grade IMR4895 produced prior to 1976.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I gave up on my cast loads in my M1 and M1a , once I was able to get 100% cycle with H4895 and 5477 Accuracy declined.
    Those are the only 2 powders I tried to get function and accuracy. Accuracy was good with 2400, trailboss.
    bullets tried , Lee 170s , Lyman 314299 sized to .310 --best non functioning accuracy was a Flat nose 160 grain TL design from RanchDog

Maybe a like new gas system and some worn springs would help?

Outpost, as you pointed out, I appreciate the warning. I certainly wouldn’t want anyone to endanger themselves, others, or their rifles. Data came from Army TM 43-0001-27, dated April, 94, with change 2, Dec, 96. This is in line with the Hodgdon manual for IMR 4895.

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast