Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Recasting birdshot into slugs

Boolit Mold

Recasting birdshot into slugs

Taking 12ga, 3", #4 shot, magnum shells with 2oz loads and putting Lee 1oz or 7/8oz slugs into them.

Is it safe to shoot with the weight difference?

Boolit Master

No .......
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    I'm not a shotgunner, but am always up for understanding more than my own little corner of the wide world of shooting. Why would a lighter load be problematic?

Boolit Grand Master

Well... depends on the powder partly. At 1/2 or less payload there is a good chance the powder won't burn properly which could result in a blooper with slug lodged in the bore. If not removed before the next shot that could be disastrous! Not sure if there is any possibility of erratic burn and SEE type event but I doubt it with shotgun powders.

Generally speaking replacing the payload with a similar payload weight is fine or maybe say 1 oz. slug in 1 1/8 oz. birdshot load should work fine but in this case replacing a 2 oz. payload with 7/8 oz. or 1 oz. is not likely to work well.

I'd say the biggest issue is a blooper with bore obstruction being the result. That's okay if you are careful and remove the stuck slug. A bit of a pain but not dangerous.

If these are handloaded hulls and the OP knows what powder was used it would be better to pull wads and reclaim powder. If factory loads, who knows what powder was used?

I have had erratic burn using relatively light loads of Blue Dot under 1 oz. slugs. No bloopers but erratic "boom" and recoil with lots of unburned powder in the bore. Slow powders generally like heavy payloads and substantial pressure to burn properly. I am thinking 2 oz. payload = slow powder.

Just my thoughts.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master
    What Longbow posted makes a lot of sense. BTW you can buy a used MEC for less than $100 and do it right. If I could not get powder and/or primers, I would buy the 2 3/4" promo shells at Walmart or the LGS, take out the shot, and put in a slug.

You will find shot hard to melt and it is worth more as shot than as a slug. Use a lead alloy for your slugs.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    BTW you can buy a used MEC for less than $100 and do it right.
    I have bought 5 MEC 600 jrs since the spring the lowest paid was $25 out of Kittery Trading Post in Maine and the highest was $75 with conversions for 12ga, 20ga, 28ga & 410 mostly bought through CL in neighboring CT. If you want to go real cheap the Lee Load All will do as well but a used MEC is about the same price for a better machine.

Boolit Buddy
    When you swap out for a lighter payload in a pre-charged hull (or center fire brass, for that matter) you always, always, always lower pressure. You might think this is a good thing, but if you get below the design limits of the powder (and you may not know exactly what those limits are...) you can have a blooper, i.e. poor combustion. That can leave stuff stuck in you barrel, which can be a disaster on the next shot---Kaboom! With subcaliber munitions like buckshot and birdshot, most of that stuff will just roll out of the barrel. With a slug, it will stick hard in the barrel, and it can be surprisingly hard to extract. Ask me how I know!

Boolit Master

I'll swap you loaded lee slugs for the #4s. How many you got?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Bub
    Hogtamer has the right idea. I was looking for info on hulls and wads for the 7/8 & 1oz lee slugs I made last week. When I stumbled on to your thread.