Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: First 5 new-production.44 Automags shipped

Boolit Master

I'm pretty sure it will exceed the 50 oz. limit making it unavailable in NY. Cuomo is an idiot!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    I went through my files, and found some copies of the early Auto Mag newsletters. Here's the front page of the premier edition. Lots of good info in these newsletters, on loading, tuning, hunting stories, and inside manufacturing and development info. The editorial staff, was a whos who, in handgun hunting.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Boolit Master

Thank you, GBertolet.

Here's a link with what I think are all of the newsletters:

http://www.amtguns.net/articles/lee-...nternationale/
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    How many of these are in the hands of buyers who actually bought one? I am interested but would like to see some reviews from the first 10-20 buyers first.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 12-23-2020 at 01:18 PM.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    would like to see some reviews from the first 10-20 buyers first.
    Me too. They're just starting and I have no idea - reviews will come, I'm sure. I'm waiting for mine.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master
    AndyC, I just sent an inquiry, asking about availabilty and ship dates. I believe you have an order in for one. What did they tell you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Me too. They're just starting and I have no idea - reviews will come, I'm sure. I'm waiting for mine.
    That wasn't your gun back in post #38 when you talked about shooting it?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    AndyC, I just sent an inquiry, asking about availabilty and ship dates. I believe you have an order in for one. What did they tell you?
    Not much other than what I've posted, although I understand they phone the new owners when theirs are about to be shipped. Haven't gotten that call yet.

That wasn't your gun back in post #38 when you talked about shooting it?
    It is - made in the early 70s. I'm referring to the new-production model I'm currently awaiting.
    Last edited by AndyC; 12-25-2020 at 11:24 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master
    I just spoke to the Automag sales rep. Here is some info, in case anyone is interested in purchasing one of these. Currently, payment in full is required at time of order. Delivery time is projected to be 60-90 days??? The base prices listed, are for matte finish guns only. High polish is $275 extra, due to the extra labor involved. Prices do not include shipping. Guns are hand fitted and assembled, as ordered.

The cost is a lot of money. But consider this in perspective, a Wilson, Night Hawk, or one of the other top custom 1911s, will cost this much, or more. Those are relatively common guns, but with the Automag, you will have something truly unique.
    Last edited by GBertolet; 12-29-2020 at 06:37 PM.

My TDE AutoMag is a firebreather! It's a 44 Automag with a switchbarrel 357 AutoMag. In a low light indoor range, it will light up the entire firing line! Norma, CDM (Mexico-Remington) and SuperVel made the ammo. My stash of ammo is priceless. The trigger is light and crisp. Sorry, I just had to brag. Have a great day!
    If you don't have AMMUNITION, your rifle is a CLUB.

Boolit Master

My TDE at the range:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blast.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	274214

As for factory ammo, SBR currently makes it from Starline brass: https://www.sbrammunition.com/44-AUT...RDS_p_606.html
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Man
    I ordered mine over two years ago... I don't know if I'd do that again but hopefully it will be shipping next month. I'll post my results. I wonder if my old RCBS 429-240-SIL would work in it?

Boolit Master
    The cost is a lot of money. But consider this in perspective, a Wilson, Night Hawk, or one of the other top custom 1911s, will cost this much, or more. Those are relatively common guns, but with the Automag, you will have something truly unique.
    True, if your comparing it against a 45 ACP. But compared to a Desert Eagle 44 mag the Eagle can be purchased for $1500 to $2300 depending on finish. Auto Mag wants $145 for a extra magazine. Desert Eagle is $47. Desert Eagle also comes with a picatinny rail on the latest model. The Desert Eagle can also easily be switched to .357 or 50AE.

I like the Automag, but that much money difference is huge.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I would be very tempted to jump on the list if they brought back the 30 carbine. Then all I would need would be a marlin 62 levermatic and a Blackhawk to complete the "30 carbine guns" collection. Lol.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    And I almost convinced myself I had enough guns...
    LIKE !
    A Blast from the Past .... Freaking Awesome ... Go For It !!!
    If I were 20 years younger ....
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Snowwolfe, there is some merit to your argument. But consider this, comparing a Desert Eagle to an Automag, is like comparing a Chevy Volt to a Corvette. Both will take you where you want to go, but the workmanship, pride of ownership, collectability, and proportional holding of value, is a factor also.

Boolit Master
    Snowwolfe, there is some merit to your argument. But consider this, comparing a Desert Eagle to an Automag, is like comparing a Chevy Volt to a Corvette. Both will take you where you want to go, but the workmanship, pride of ownership, collectability, and proportional holding of value, is a factor also.
    That all remains to be seen. I have no difficulty spending money on quality construction. But until enough of these get into the hands of shooters we just don’t know how they will hold up or how accurate and dependable they will be.
    Time will tell. One thing that bothers me is the lack of a pictinny rail on top of the barrel. I am also not a fan of paying 100% of the cost then being told to wait 60-90 days. That is simply bad business
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    .......Time will tell. One thing that bothers me is the lack of a pictinny rail on top of the barrel. I am also not a fan of paying 100% of the cost then being told to wait 60-90 days. That is simply bad business
    I think a rail would spoil the looks of the gun. I like that is recoil not gas. I won't send them money on a 60-90 day promise. Yes that is bad business, I will wait until the wait is less or better when they can ship me one from inventory. I don't want a 44, I want a 357 anyway or at least both barrels.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    This gun looks like one you buy only because you want one and it may hold its value well if not molested to much.
    If I was going to work a gun hard I would pick one that was not a collector item at the starting gate.
    But that gun would dispose of a huge bit of my disposable income not so much for others.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pbcaster45 View Post
    I ordered mine over two years ago... I don't know if I'd do that again but hopefully it will be shipping next month. I'll post my results. I wonder if my old RCBS 429-240-SIL would work in it?
    We're in the same boat and I saw your post over at AM

It's funny you mention that mold - I was pondering buying one specifically for my AM and hard-cast from lino (as suggested by Kent Lomont), seeing as the Lyman 429383 RN has been discontinued.
    My Iraq Pics

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast