Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: RCBS Hand Primer Not Fully Seating Primers

Boolit Master

RCBS Hand Primer Not Fully Seating Primers

I still have the original hand primer (not the universal), I got with my Rockchucker kit around 10 years ago. I have primed in excess of 50K cases with it. I set about prepping a batch of .300 Win Mag brass last night. I was getting ready to start powder drop, and noticed a protruding primer. After inspection, a good 60% are grossly extended and the rest are mildly so. I stripped the hand primer down and could find nothing amiss. The plastic shell holder mounts are surely worn, but aside from that I am lost. Any ideas? Should I just email RCBS?

That, or a phone call, is the course I would follow. They have great customer service and knowledgeable folks to chat with you on the phone.

DG

Banned
    IF nothing else is wrong and that has the removable rod that looks worn, you could set the rod on a piece of metal and hammer the middle a little bit going around the circumference until the rod is longer, +1 on calling RCBS.

I have never had that happen with my unit. The RCBS has been my back up priming system AND ONLY HAND PRIMER unit for a number of years. I've thought about it and like you I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I think I would try a smidgen of JB Weld on the bottom of the Rod to temporarily add to length while I called RCBS because it does not make sense. Anything on the bottom of the Rod to add length might work temporarily for deeper seating. Sorry nothing else comes to mind.
    regards,

Boolit Master

The JB Weld might be a solution. Just as a text I cut a small piece of T-shirt and placed it under the rod, and it did in fact work. If the customer service route doesn't pan out I can try aa jimmy rigged approach.

Boolit Man
    I've had this exact problem. It was especially noticeable when priming large primer rifle brass. Strip it down clean and lightly lube the guts. Pay particular attention to where the two parts join together and pivot to raise/lower the primer ram. That joint gets nasty overtime. I was amazed at what a little cleaning and oil did, made it run like new again with perfectly seated primers.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I'd start with a little imperial sizing wax as lube on the main push rod. Get that well lubricated can make a huge difference in how much force is required.

Mine is the universal so I don't have any help for worn shellholder parts.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    I have the same RCBS Hand Primer and had a heck of time getting it to feed and seat properly.
    A call to RCBS (I did have to wait a while before someone answered) but it was well worth it. Mine was the plastic feed inserts, they have both a large and small size, and the inner rod.
    As we have about the same age tool, my suggestion is call them, don't even bother playing with it. They will send all new parts right out. After you get the new parts then you'll see the difference in design, fit and function.
    It's worth the call.

Boolit Man
    Mine is the original design also, probably 20+ years old now. I'm curious, what is different about the new parts RCBS sent you?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    following
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    It came down to fit and finish of the plastic feed tray. And a bit more outside thickness to the walls of the feed tube. We're not talking much as it still has to fit the slot, but I guess the best way to put it is the walls are more sturdy don't get out of shape.
    All in all, I'm back to using the handheld rather than the press mounted primer and feed tubes.
    My guess is the "Cheap Plastic Part Department" most companies have are putting more workmanship in the final product. In this case, it shows.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    IF nothing else is wrong and that has the removable rod that looks worn, you could set the rod on a piece of metal and hammer the middle a little bit going around the circumference until the rod is longer, +1 on calling RCBS.
    I did that very thing with mine years ago and it worked.

Boolit Master

I guess I am in Left Field. I can think of the Posi-Prime and the Universal. I know there is another that came after Posi-Prime with a round "feed" mechanism for 100 primers that I have never held. I am not familiar with "plastic shell holder mounts".

The Posi-Prime (and iirc Universal) ram rods are multi-piece, screw-in, compressed spring primer "pocket", that adjusts for Top of Ram primer seating to the depth you set. I know this because I set my rod too high and eventually over loaded and broke the cast pot metal Posi-Prime handle, which is no longer made, and it felt like losing my right hand. This may or may not be your case...idk.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I have two of the models described by the OP.

They are distinguishable by the fact that they utilize the standard shell holders.

I would suspect that the pot metal handle where the lower plunger rod toggles (pivots) would wear out before the steel parts do.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Some of the older RCBS punches were adjustable. If you look around you may find a set of the old ones. You hold the part that contacts the primer and there's a hole that takes a small punch. You and screw or unscrew to get more or less primer pressure. Not sure if the new ones are like this or not but I have a set that is adjustable. I have punches from various eras going back at least 30 years in my stash./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

It is nice to have a punch for every occasion, but is not necessary to adjust the primer plunger. The hole in the plunger will accept the end of a straight pin, paper clip, or safety pin. I have used them all.

It is fine threaded, so small adjustments in plunger length are being made. The adjustment does not two-block, or double nut, or even terminate with any torque. The spring tension hold the adjustment in place. Once set, check it every thousand or so primers. It'll still probably be good...ymmv.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.