PBcastcoTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Dried venison recipe help?

Dried venison recipe help?

Friends have had it made for them and it was awesome! I would like to do my own with a couple of roasts. Anyone have a good recipe to share? Thanks in advance for your help! hc18flyer

Boolit Bub
    For mine I use a brine mix of 1 cup kosher salt 1\2 white sugar 1\2 cup brown per gallon of brine, as well as a tablespoon of whole peppercorns and mustard seed.
    Boil half the water with the salt, sugar and spices, then add the remaining water and cool To room temperature. To this I add pink curing salt at the rate per lbs of meat. (Not the per gallon rate, I feel this lets me get the cured taste without the chance of high nitrate issues.)
    I inject this about 10% by weight in the roast. Submerge in the remaining brine for 7 day. Remove soak in cold water for an hour and pat dry. Smoke at 200-225 until the internal temperature reaches 160. Cool, slice and enjoy. We run it through our slicer, and vacuum pack.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Old colt View Post
    For mine I use a brine mix of 1 cup kosher salt 1\2 white sugar 1\2 cup brown per gallon of brine, as well as a tablespoon of whole peppercorns and mustard seed.
    Boil half the water with the salt, sugar and spices, then add the remaining water and cool To room temperature. To this I add pink curing salt at the rate per lbs of meat. (Not the per gallon rate, I feel this lets me get the cured taste without the chance of high nitrate issues.)
    I inject this about 10% by weight in the roast. Submerge in the remaining brine for 7 day. Remove soak in cold water for an hour and pat dry. Smoke at 200-225 until the internal temperature reaches 160. Cool, slice and enjoy. We run it through our slicer, and vacuum pack.
    That sounds amazing! Do you have a photo of the finished product?

Boolit Bub
    I don't but should be able to get one sometime today. Have a few from bow season soaking at the moment.
    Last edited by Old colt; 11-27-2020 at 11:23 AM.

When I did it I used Morton tender quick and followed the directions on the bag for curing, then smoked until got to desired dryness (at least 145) then cooled almost froze on outside and sliced paper thin with slicer, turned out great and super simple.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by duke76 View Post
    When I did it I used Morton tender quick and followed the directions on the bag for curing, then smoked until got to desired dryness (at least 145) then cooled almost froze on outside and sliced paper thin with slicer, turned out great and super simple.
    Is that the pink salt stuff?

it is sodium nitrite so yes it is a cure.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=biltong ths is a post I started years ago when I was figuring out how to make dried beef, its not jerky or biltong, the stuff u you use to make crap on a shingle, just ran across it with the search when I was researching making biltong
    Last edited by duke76; 12-05-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by duke76 View Post
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=biltong ths is a post I started years ago when I was figuring out how to make dried beef, its not jerky or biltong, the stuff u you use to make crap on a shingle, just ran across it with the search when I was researching making biltong
    I am inspired! We have and are still continuing to use our venison as the main meat staple in our home. Love seeing the old but new methods brought back. I hope to try this very soon!