WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: 28ga. Poured Slug....Confirmed Kill

Boolit Mold

28ga. Poured Slug....Confirmed Kill

Folks,

I posted earlier about some moulds that I had gotten from the Russian folks. I was confident enough in my load to take the round hunting during the whitetail opener. I was getting consistent groups in the 30yd range to the point of I knew I could hit a deer in the vitals. Opening evening and I was in the stand. Doe flies by me in a thicket about 60yds away. Then a buck bounded behind her. This was good as my father was set up in a stand overlooking a field about 250yds away. About 15 min later I hear the report of a rifle close by. Dad just shot the buck.....was my first thought. Moments later the doe bounded back through the thicket and stopped at about 35yds from me and quartered away hard looking back where she came from. I eased the 28 up and shouldered the gun. She was dead down wind. She was sniffing air and also looking at her back track for the buck I assume. I put the glowing fiber bead back in her ribs as she was quartered away and squeezed off. She hunched and jumped and started to bound down the ridge in front of me. This is when it hit me that I was wielding a semi-auto shotgun and I threw up and planted a second shot. Deer was down right in front of me with no movement.

I stayed in the stand till dark and as I walked out I gave a quick inspection. One hit in the back of the ribs and on through both front shoulders.

We had dinner and then recovered deer. It was dark and pictures aren't the best. but you can see the back rib shot and the shoulder shot. While skinning the back shot had full expansion with a large exit hole but no remnants of slug what so ever. The shoulder shot entered the deer in the lower shoulder shattering the front leg bone. Very large Y shaped hole through the bottom of the heart and 3 exit holes (one large and two smaller) on the opposite shoulder. I did find miniscule amounts of lead in the body cavity from this shot.

All in all I think the slugs performed well. These are the 3/4oz Russian molds that I purchased a few months ago. Shooting them in Cheddite once fired hulls, Guilandi brush wad screwed to slug at base, Cheddite 2000 primer and little gun powder. 1600pfs with roll crimp.

Was fun to say the least. Not to mention a 5.5lb 28ga is way lighter to tote with much less recoil than a scoped 7mm mag bolt gun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28gadeerstandresize.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	272110

Name:	28gadeerstand2resize.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	272111

Name:	28gadeer1resize.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	272112

Name:	28gadeer2rsize.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	272113
    Last edited by bullet225ho; 11-26-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Boolit Master

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by bullet225ho View Post
    I posted earlier about some moulds that I had gotten from the Russian folks.
    Which mould?
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Mold
    SH-SH mold.

screw to wad mold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screwslugcomponents3.jpg  

Thats awsome. I love 28's

Boolit Buddy

Congrats!

Boolit Master

Nice job bullet!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master
    I really love my 28 ga XS FeatherLite. It weighs just over 5 lbs and is a pleasure to carry in the field. All I need if hunting over dogs.

Thanks for sharing your report on the slugs. 3/4 oz at 1600 fps sounds like a stout load as my upland loads are much less (1200 fps IIRC). 325 gr at 1600 fps is .454 Casull territory!!! IT WILL KILL!!!

Nice shooting!!!
    Don Verna

Great JOB

Boolit Master

SH-SH mold.

screw to wad mold
    Awesome - thanks
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Banned
    Greetings Bullet225ho, you sure have raised the bar on 28 gauge with your information.
    I'm sure we all love to know your powder that you used and the charge in grains?
    I did find it funny that you used Fiocchi hulls with Chedddite 2000 primer !

Keep it up and the 28 gauge sales will jump up next !
    I give you * * * Star, Good ratings ! !

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 11-26-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post
    Greetings Bullet225ho, you sure have raised the bar on 28 gauge with your information.
    I'm sure we all love to know your powder that you used and the charge in grains?

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    OP, if you post your load data, it is prudent to add a disclaimer. I used to list load data and stopped doing so unless the load was supported by published data from a reputable source. Shotgun loads near maximum have very little safety margin and I suspect your load is at or over the maximum.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    I posted a question about this in another thread and didn't really get a clear answer. It was about transferring lead shot data to slugs. AKA I see folks taking data for 12ga lead shot...putting a similar weight slug in or on the same wad and rolling with it.

I found a load in the BPI advantages manual that is also published online by them. https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load18_01_11.htm

That particular load is using the SG28-II Gualandi wad and 36gns of lil-gun with a 616primer.

I used the brush wad (more cushion/volume) and a C2000 cheddite primer (not as hot as 616). I also roll crimped vs fold. All those things should have brought pressure down in theory. However; me knowing that BPI load data is somewhat of a crap shoot I lowered the powder charge down to 35grns.

I've been developing 28ga loads for lead, steel and heavier than lead shot for about 5 years. I've had plenty tested and may send these off too just to have it on paper....but I'm sure these will test under 12500psi max.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    I edited my first post. This load is using Cheddite once fired hulls. I'm working in a 3" 7/8oz slug with Fiocchi hulls. sorry

Banned
    Greetings Bullet225ho, Thanks for the load, I'm sure our friends with 28 gauge will enjoy trying it.
    I personally stick with 20 gauge and wasted a lot of money on 12 gauge that I personally did not really need to.
    Your post sure was tempting to start thinking of getting a 28 gauge.
    Thank you.
    Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 11-27-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations ! I have the Rooskie 28 mold as well , that is if it’s the one that looks like a smaller version of the Lyman sabot slug . I worked up a load at about the same distance as yourself but I use it in a little Parker circa 1903 double with the slug in the right barrel and handloaded buck in the left . I don’t take that little gun out very often and when I do it’s in a gun sock until I’m situated in my tree stand . I’ll admit I carry a rifle as well as I have no thoughts of shooting one with the 28 over 40 yards . Anyway congrats again !!!!
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I’ve done in deer with 10’s , 12’s , 16’s and 20’s . At some point I’d like to add atleast one with the 8 gauge and atleast one with the 28 gauge . Doubt I ever get the desire to do it with a 410 although I’m sure with enough patience it’s doable .

Boolit Master

Its really satisfying to drop a deer or a turkey with loads that you made isn't it? I've done both and caught big trout on flies that I tied too. I love the feeling of being independent of the commercial makers. Well done!

Boolit Mold
    It's very satisfying for sure. A year ago I'd never would have thought that I'd have obtained moulds for a 28ga and 410 slugs. However; with the times the way they are I figured why not have a way to produce a single projectile from the gauges I have the most of. My high power rifle selection is slim with 3 7mm magnums and 1 .243. I have several 44 magnum rifles and pistols. I'm researching moulds for that caliber at the moment.

At the moment I have 6 28ga and 3 410. These are mainly small game, upland bird and duck guns. Realizing that I could possibly pour and load rounds that would meet or exceed large pistol caliber ballistics with slugs I jumped at the chance. I'm happy beyond belief at this point. It amazes me what the 28ga can give me in a slug. It's basically a 54cal bullet. I have 2 different slug moulds and have proven one in 3/4oz and working on another in 7/8oz. I'm also having some good things going on with 410. I just finished a ramp of loads with a foster type mould running 150gn loads around 1840fps in a 2 1/2 inch hull. They seem to be accurate and not tumbling.

This stuff takes time and I can't live at the farm. If I did I'd probably have it all figured out at this point. Half of the fun is figuring it out.

Boolit Master

At the moment I have 6 28ga and 3 410. These are mainly small game, upland bird and duck guns.
    Cool ! At present I only have a pair of 28’s the little Parker and a circa 1970 Belgian made Browning Superposed . I’ve taken the Parker on two quail hunts already this season and a third time this coming Tuesday . Tuesday two of my three friends will be shooting Parker 28’s one original like mine and a Repro . The three of us have another Parker friend in Maryland that uses his 28’s for most everything , last year he got an honest two goodness double on geese . I have another friend in the Richmond VA area that has a Parker 28 with 30” barrels , we were quail hunting together Saturday and I tried my best to buy the gun from him sight unseen but I could never get him to put a price on it (doubt I coulda afforded it if he had priced it). My Parker and Browning are 26” and 26 1/2” . I’m finding at Sporting Clays and Five Stand I seem to do a bit better with 30 or 32 inch barrels . I’ve got 30 or 32 covered with the 10-12 and 16 , and am after a 30” 20 gauge as we speak but a 30” Parker 28 most likely will be oughta my reach . Same for a Parker 410 I’ll have to make do with the IJ double , Crescent Arms double , Belgian Browning Superposed and a Salvinelli O/U .

Banned
    Good morning, good to read it again and thanks for sharing it.
    I personally would not feel under gunned with either 20 or 28 gauge and my own re-loads.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots