Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: H&R topper/NEF Pardner

H&R topper/NEF Pardner

So wound up with a NEF Pardner 12 gauge. Looking to aquire another 12 or 20 gauge barrel for it for a few modifications but desire for the OEM barrel to remain unchanged.

Question is ... will the H&R Topper barrels interchange on the NEF shotgun frame.

Have found a few Topper barrels but even tho in pictures they look identical ... would like to know before plunkin down my hard earned bucks.

Thanks in advance.

Ted

Also as an additional question ... what difference between a SB-1 and a SB-2 frame?

Boolit Grand Master

No, with a caveat. Sometimes you get lucky, but more often than not, the barrels do not fit. H&R/NEF were different names for the same brand, but they did not hold close enough tolerances to allow regular barrel swapping. Sometimes you get one too tight, and you can fit them to your frame, but just as often, they are too loose. I've tried all the shimming tricks, it isn't worth it.

Boolit Master

even the same brand needed fitting sometimes. all of mine were fitted by the factory
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Ted: I have the heavy barrel NEF slug gun Pardner Tracker II Plus. I had the same thought as you and purchased a Pardner SB1 12ga. 3" barrel here at Boolits taking the chance it would fit or could be made to fit. In this instance, and it may have been just luck, it locks up tight on my frame. Nice to have both barrels, rifled and smooth bore. Gp

Boolit Grand Master
    Someone may correct me, but I think the difference between the SB1 & SB2 is that one is cast and one is forged. One can handle lower pressure rounds like the .45-70 vs a higher pressure round like the .223.

Thanks so much for the answers. Sounds like a crapshoot as for fitting. Think I will take a chance and get a Topper barrel and figure out how to make er work.

As to the question of sb-1 and sb-2 actions ... I plan to use barrel inserts for different handgun rounds and just wanted to be sure there will be no trouble.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/

bigted, There are very definite pressure limits between the cast and forged receivers. Do yourself a favor and spend some time in the Graybeard H&R sub forums.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

SB1 = Shotgun or low pressure frame

SB2 = Rifle or high pressure frame

BB