Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Colt NewFrontier 22 LR ?

Boolit Buddy

Colt NewFrontier 22 LR ?

Was in a local gun store on Monday and in the consignment case was according to the tag a Colt New Frontier 22 LR. It had the long slopeing front sight and the rear looked like a New Frontier. Never heard of such a Colt. Price was $550 something. Is this for real?

I saw a new one back in the 60's, and a friend had bought a used one back in the 90's.
    I've only seen those two my whole life. I think they also originally came with a .22Magnum cylinder too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Colts answer to the Ruger single six. I've seen at least one in person in store. I didn't care for the aesthetics of the front sight. I ain't had the chance to try one yet unfortunately.

Boolit Grand Master

I inherited one from my Dad. I believe its a 7" barrel has the 22 mag cylinder and a round 4 spoke screw driver in the original box. Its a cast frame of some non magnetic metal. fixed sights. The gun control act of 67 did away with them as under it they were Saturday night specials and banned from importation / sales. Its a decent shooting firearm. Im not sure if made by colt, assembled by colt or sold by colt. Ive been told by some the frames were cast overseas.

Im thinking the $550 tag is high for it. Ive seen them used on the shelf for $250

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one in the 1980's, it only had the Long Rifle cylinder. Supposed to be new when I bought it, but I did buy it from a pawnshop/ gun store, so who knows?

It was a very accurate little gun, I always thought it shot better than my buddies Rugers, and seemed just a bit smaller.

The only thing I didn't like on it was the mickey mouse safety (it was a late version) and the 7˝" barrel. I would have preferred either one of the shorter barrels, but even then they were hard to find.

If I run into a shorter barreled one when I have the money, it will be mine.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I had one in the 1980's, it only had the Long Rifle cylinder. Supposed to be new when I bought it, but I did buy it from a pawnshop/ gun store, so who knows?

It was a very accurate little gun, I always thought it shot better than my buddies Rugers, and seemed just a bit smaller.

The only thing I didn't like on it was the mickey mouse safety (it was a late version) and the 7˝" barrel. I would have preferred either one of the shorter barrels, but even then they were hard to find.

If I run into a shorter barreled one when I have the money, it will be mine.

Robert
    Was the safety inside the loading gate ?

Super Moderator

One of my co-workers offered to sell me one a few years back. I turned him down because the trigger was really horrible.

Mine is a .22LR Frontier Scout from 1969, and is not an adjustable sight New Frontier.

.22 Mag extra cylinders are available online, and at one time Colt offered a dual cylinder package.

Mine has an excellent trigger, no extraneous safety, and is fairly accurate.

It's a lot lighter than my Ruger Single-Six due to the alloy frame on this model (Peacemaker & New Frontier versions had steel frames)

My gun came with a Colt Custom Shop presentation case

Last edited by pietro; 11-25-2020 at 11:15 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

My Colt is a ‘Peacemaker .22’ (marked on bbl) and looks exactly like Pietro’s. Dad bought it in the 70’s and I’ve since inherited it. I do have the 22 Mag cylinder (not fluted) and it is a fine shooting little pistol with a crisp trigger.
    It’s a hoot to plink with.
    Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have a New Frontier in 44-40 I bought at the Rod & Gun club in Bamberg around 81-82. I've been happy with it. If it's an earlier model without the safety I'd have to jump on it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one and like a fool sold it. Nice little gun but a bit pricey.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Was the safety inside the loading gate ?
    Yes it was, I think it was one of the modifications they made for the G serial number range.

I know I liked the adjustable sights a lot better than the fixed sights on my uncle's chromed one from the 60's.

Robert