Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: which sizing die and top punch do I need?

Boolit Mold

which sizing die and top punch do I need?

Hi all, New here but not to casting. My mentor who taught me a ton about reloading recently died. Im a little lost. I have a Lyman lubesizer and need to lube some 45 lead bullets that are already sized just need lube.Which sizing die do I need and which top punch for semi wad cutters.The bullets are sized to .452 and they are 200 grain swc"s. IM using Lyman equipment,
    All help is appreciated.

Well, different SWC bullets might require different nose punches. You could probably get by with a 374 punch if the meplat has a little radius. The 374 is for 45 RN and will self center. Otherwise i can't suggest a number because I don't shoot 45swc. A .452 die will work just fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry you lost you friend, and welcome aboard.

My .45 ACP boolit of choice is the Lyman 452460, a ~200 grain SWC. What I use is a .452 sizing die and a home made top punch. All it is, is a one inch long piece of ¼" stock.

Works for me in both a Lyman 450 and an RCBS Lubamatic.

Robert

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the help> I wasnt sure. His tools are available to me for my use. Just wanted to make sure I got the numbers right,

Banned
    Just a flat punch .452 in diameter would work for SWC

Boolit Master

As previous member said, the flat punches are the way to go for a lot of sizing/lubing. I got the 3 punch set from Accurate Molds and it handles 90% of my sizing. As long as the punch doesn't deform your boolit, it can be undersized.

Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Was the gentleman also a caster? If so, then there is probably a good chance the mold those bullets came from is around there some where. If he was, and you do find the mold they were cast from, it will be a very simple task to find out which nose punch you will need. If not? I have to go with the crowd and say use the largest flat nose punch you have available. A .452 sizer die is what I would personally use.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.