Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Blessing of bullets!

Boolit Buddy

Blessing of bullets!

A coworker/friend of mine came to work with 14,000 bullets, half being 45s went to my other coworker, half being 240g SWC plain based, lube .430 bullets. I still cant thank him enough! He wants nothing in return, but will definitely be getting something!

Now to find a "pet" 44 mag load for my Winchester 92 and S&W 629!

Accepting low/mid 44 mag load ideas and repayment ideas (non booze related)
    👍🏼

Boolit Bub
    Hell of a good guy right there! If he's a meat eater you could get him a couple big ribeyes!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

High Quality Bacon and Maple syrup are appreciated by many.
    10 gr. unique makes a nice mild .44 magnum load with the 240gr cast.

Boolit Grand Master

My favorite cartridge is the 44 Magnum and I've reloaded everything from 123 gr balls to 310 gr ingots. I started with H110/W296 and didn't care for is lack of versatility. My handloads now use Unique/Universal, 2400, Blue Dot and WC820. These do well for all my 44 Magnum needs. I use the same loads/powders in my revolvers, my Puma and my Contender...
    Last edited by mdi; 11-26-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    High Quality Bacon and Maple syrup are appreciated by many.
    10 gr. unique makes a nice mild .44 magnum load with the 240gr cast.
    He beat me to it. 8-10 grains unique. You can also find reduced loads with bullseye, 700x, 231, red dot and so on to save powder costs.
    It’s seems more people shoot 38 special type loads in 357 chambered guns than 44 special in 44 magnum. 44 magnum becomes such a nice gun when you fire moderate loads in it.

Boolit Master
    Depends on the bullet hardness and diameter. With Oregon Trail .431" hard cast 240's and 7 grains on Unique they run 1150 fps in my Rossi 92, with my Lee homecast .430" water quenched 240's and 7 grains of Unique they run 1050 fps or so. Both are very accurate and comfortable to shoot. Suits me but with my woods, 50 yards is usually maximum range anyhow.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    The size and hardness make me wonder. These are .430 to .4305, fine for my revolver, but I’m wondering about my rifle. With my home cast bullets it likes them sized to .4315. My bullets are probably 13ish bhn, these factory bullets are quite a bit harder, the thumb nail test results in no denting/scratching. Perhaps if I drive em easy they won’t strip....?
    👍🏼

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
    The size and hardness make me wonder. These are .430 to .4305, fine for my revolver, but I’m wondering about my rifle. With my home cast bullets it likes them sized to .4315. My bullets are probably 13ish bhn, these factory bullets are quite a bit harder, the thumb nail test results in no denting/scratching. Perhaps if I drive em easy they won’t strip....?
    Might work, but SAAMI spec for a 44 Magnum rifle barrel is .431". Dunno why the difference, but I have to size my Puma bullets to .432"+ for good accuracy and no leading. I've had no skidding problems in my Puma with .432"+ bullets when driven to 1,500-1,600 fps with my Mystery Metal (BHN approx 12).

Boolit Master
    For some reason I don't think all 44 Magnums are bored exactly to SAAMI spec. My Rossi shoots one hole groups (well same hole) at 25 yards with the .431 Oregon Trail laser cast and with my home cast .430 Lee 240 grain swc's. I tried a box of factory HSM Cowboy Action 44 Special 240's in my previously owned Henry Big Boy and they shot a 4" group at 15 yards with one literal keyhole; right perty silhouette of the side of the HSM boolit.

Boolit Buddy

Primers would be a very nice present.

Boolit Master
    2400 is flexible ,start at 13gn and work your way up .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Freischütz View Post
    Primers would be a very nice present.
    That would be a Christmas miracle!
    👍🏼

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    For some reason I don't think all 44 Magnums are bored exactly to SAAMI spec. My Rossi shoots one hole groups (well same hole) at 25 yards with the .431 Oregon Trail laser cast and with my home cast .430 Lee 240 grain swc's. I tried a box of factory HSM Cowboy Action 44 Special 240's in my previously owned Henry Big Boy and they shot a 4" group at 15 yards with one literal keyhole; right perty silhouette of the side of the HSM boolit.
    Agreed, but my 4, 44 Mag. handguns all have a .429" groove diameter and my Puma runs .431"+.

Boolit Master
    My Redhawk does not like H110. But loves 2400 go figure. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Interest tweaked, looked at the SAAMI web page. Their spec for the .44 bore is .417", groove .429".

Boolit Buddy
    Well I ran a test batch of these .430 bullets through my rifle. It looooves em! Shot some of the best groups I have with this rifle. Poor lighting (welcome to the PNW in winter) and buckhorn sights dont make for the best sight picture but I’m still happy with the results.

The revolver...meh. I’m beginning to think I should get the throats all reamed on that thing.
    👍🏼

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
    Well I ran a test batch of these .430 bullets through my rifle. It looooves em! Shot some of the best groups I have with this rifle. Poor lighting (welcome to the PNW in winter) and buckhorn sights dont make for the best sight picture but I’m still happy with the results.

The revolver...meh. I’m beginning to think I should get the throats all reamed on that thing.
    Sometimes a feller just has to load 'em up and see how they shoot, SAAMI notwithstanding. My .430's shoot fine in my SA Ruger too.

Boolit Master
    If he's still casting I'd gift him more casting alloy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    If he's still casting I'd gift him more casting alloy.
    Fine idea! But, the bullets were left by a former renter. I guess that guy was a cowboy action shooter, perhaps he was sponsored and didn't want to move the bullets, if I’m remembering the story correctly. And Jerry, my work mate doesn’t shoot either of those calibers.
    👍🏼