WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is powder shortage next ?

Boolit Buddy

Is powder shortage next ?

I was lucky enough to stock up in the spring before all hell broke loose and prices shot through the roof. Now as everyone is aware primers and most projectiles are all sold out everywhere. Looking at Grafs powder prices they havent increased yet but some of the popular powders are beginning to sell out. I just ordered more powders just to make sure. I have some extra cash and I figured prices will only go up from here so i ordered more powders. Have been using Vectan powders lately for most pistols but I decided to try their rifle powder too. Varget, BLC2, CFE223, H335, H4895 and many other popular choices are already sold out. Good ole Biden and his cabinet will make powder prices surge I'm afraid. I hope I'm wrong on that one though.

Boolit Master

I do not see it getting better in the next several months... that said it makes sense that I will get worse. I feel we are screwed if a plant anywhere goes offline. Also, I fear Biden component taxes in the near future.

Boolit Master
    I was looking at several suppliers and everything but eight-pound caddies of 50 BMG powder, expensive choices like VV, and the odd jug of obscure startup weirdo powder is sold out. People are even buying the outrageously expensive Barnes and LeHigh projectiles. I did find some XTPs on Midsouth today. Yeesh.
    Ed <><

Boolit Master
    I was at Scheels yesterday and at least half the powders were sold out. Probably closer to 75% sold out.
    Looked at Powder Valley's website a couple days ago and the selection of Alliant and Hodgdon powders were minimal. Vihtavouri powders were limited to some of the more uncommon powders.

Boolit Buddy
    Get it while you can.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes...buy now if you do not have a four year supply. There is little chance of things getting better soon. It is imperative that we strive for self sufficiency from supply chain disruptions and government overreach.

It took me 15 years to achieve a lifetime supply. The average cost of powder in my inventory is $19/lb, and primers are $23/1000. I have stuff like 26 lbs of Varget that is impossible to get at any price.

BTW, those who bought when supply was good and prices low are not causing the current problems. If "those hoarders" sell some of their excess inventory at "stupid" prices, you should be thankful you can buy stuff. The alternative is to do without until things change. Try to remember some of them, like me, have been sitting on inventory for over a decade.

If you buy powder now, when it is still available and reasonably priced, YOU will not be part the problem down the road.

BTW, my LGS does not gouge even when supplies are low. Their normal prices are higher than what I can get on line in bulk but they have not increased prices on powder they have in stock.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I stocked up on Unique and Trail Boss quite some time ago and glad I did because both of those went out of stock shortly after. I discovered just today that nearly all of the other powders that I sometimes use is also out of stock. That is okay. I will take this opportunity to experiment with some other stuff which is still available.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Yes...buy now if you do not have a four year supply. There is little chance of things getting better soon. It is imperative that we strive for self sufficiency from supply chain disruptions and government overreach.

It took me 15 years to achieve a lifetime supply. The average cost of powder in my inventory is $19/lb, and primers are $23/1000. I have stuff like 26 lbs of Varget that is impossible to get at any price.

BTW, those who bought when supply was good and prices low are not causing the current problems. If "those hoarders" sell some of their excess inventory at "stupid" prices, you should be thankful you can buy stuff. The alternative is to do without until things change. Try to remember some of them, like me, have been sitting on inventory for over a decade.

If you buy powder now, when it is still available and reasonably priced, YOU will not be part the problem down the road.

BTW, my LGS does not gouge even when supplies are low. Their normal prices are higher than what I can get on line in bulk but they have not increased prices on powder they have in stock.
    spot on, I built my supply over 40 years

Banned
    All the local outlets for primers and powders are out of both here

Boolit Master

Powder Valley had several powders earlier today.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    Powder Valley had several powders earlier today.
    That's a little bit of a stretch. If you are looking for shotshell powder (which would also cover pistol loads too) there are several, but virtually nothing for rifle loading that I could see.

Boolit Buddy
    I think the shortage is already here, at least the price is up on gunbroker site. $40 to $80 per lb .

Boolit Master
    Biden's antics may not be at all necessary to send propellant prices into the "1 share of WalMart" stratum, but I doubt that'd stop him, if he thought there was political hay to be made, there. After 47+ years of wrong positions on darned near EVERYthing, I doubt he's low on the capacity to make MORE stupid moves.
    Sad part is, he doesn't REALLY have to. We're already so bereft of primers, they don't really HAVE to cut the supply of anything else to disarm us. They'll never take all the guns the American Public owns, so they'll just make them incredibly difficult or expensive to use. THIS is how they'll win, if we let them.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Biden's antics may not be at all necessary to send propellant prices into the "1 share of WalMart" stratum, but I doubt that'd stop him, if he thought there was political hay to be made, there. After 47+ years of wrong positions on darned near EVERYthing, I doubt he's low on the capacity to make MORE stupid moves.
    Sad part is, he doesn't REALLY have to. We're already so bereft of primers, they don't really HAVE to cut the supply of anything else to disarm us. They'll never take all the guns the American Public owns, so they'll just make them incredibly difficult or expensive to use. THIS is how they'll win, if we let them.
    If they take all the gun then primers and powder will be worthless.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy

The price gougers are out in force. No powder or primers on the shelves in my area. Somebody consigned 9mm ammo at one of the local shops for $55 a box and people are actually buying it. Pretty sad.

Boolit Grand Master

Small rifle and pistol primers are sold out in my neck of the woods, except for one lonely gun shop that will sell them to you at only 100 primers per visit? for $5.50 a box. Needless to say I will no longer support him nor will I send anyone to him.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

I lucked out this spring at a gun show. A guy there was selling off all of his stock from a store he closed. I got 21lbs of Tac for $8/lb. 16lbs 231 win, for $7/lb. And 10K 41 cci primers for $24/1K. Been stacking it deep for the last 2 years.

Last year I finally got into primers from the beginning of the BOZO years. Where I am short is soft lead. Linotype i have more than I will ever need. But as I am running out of soft to mix it with I am probably going to just shoot all lino. FIL bought out a printing shop and also bought several thousand lbs at auctions. He past away and I got most of it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    If they take all the gun then primers and powder will be worthless.

Tim
    And if they take all the powder and primers, then guns will be worthless.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    And if they take all the powder and primers, then guns will be worthless.
    If they take all the powder and primers I will make my own powder and primers. If they take all the guns I will make what guns I can but it is easier to make powder and primers than it is to make a gun. I actually don't worry about either case they are not going to take all the guns or ban all ammo. They may ban (or make class 3) some more guns and tax the bejebers out of ammo.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    If they take all the powder and primers I will make my own powder and primers. If they take all the guns I will make what guns I can but it is easier to make powder and primers than it is to make a gun. I actually don't worry about either case they are not going to take all the guns or ban all ammo. They may ban (or make class 3) some more guns and tax the bejebers out of ammo.

Tim
    Ammo will not be banned. It will simply be bought and hoarded by the liberals. Just like is happening right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast