MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: MP molds....man, that is fast!

MP molds....man, that is fast!

I decided to give hollow points a try so thought I would go with a MP 250grain .432 Larsen. I ordered this thing yesterday morning and received notice last night that the mold was on the way. That is Amazon prime fast. My first MP mold, hopefully it is as good as I keep reading about.
    Last edited by Targa; 11-25-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    Good molds. Fast shipping. Not so good email communication.

If it's brass, be patient and do the hot plate heat cycle voodoo first. Let cool in between 3-4 times.

You will then get good bullets in ten minutes. I heat my molds assembled with the pins in.

Now you made me want that Larsen I've been fighting...

Thank you for the tip, yeh I have a brass Arsenal mold and found the heat cycling to be very helpful. They had the Larsen for 20% off. A 4 cavity, hollow point brass mold for a $117...I had to give that a try. I got it gas checked with the plan of running softer, hollow point lead through my revolvers while my rifle will get harder lead with the flat point over 296/H110.

Boolit Master
    You will love an MP mould !
    And the shipping Miha uses now is great. I got a mould 5 days after ordering it.
    And second the heat cycling - I also boil/scrub in a Dawn bath first.
    The heat cycling is tough, I wanna make boolets !!!!
    Got a mould on a Friday, While I was casting Sat morning I heat cycled the mould (added a fan to speed thing up), 3 cycles in 3 hours. lol
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    Thank you for the tip, yeh I have a brass Arsenal mold and found the heat cycling to be very helpful. They had the Larsen for 20% off. A 4 cavity, hollow point brass mold for a $117...I had to give that a try. I got it gas checked with the plan of running softer, hollow point lead through my revolvers while my rifle will get harder lead with the flat point over 296/H110.
    Hot dang exactly my reasons. I don't need a GC 44 but I want to try very soft bullets because pure / range scrap is available. I treasure my WW stash by now...

One more tip, brakeleen wash first,then water/dish soap. Then heat.

Boolit Master
    I couldn't help it,ordered a Larsen 44 GC.

Crazy fast.

Very Nice !!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    I decided to give hollow points a try so thought I would go with a MP 250grain .432 Larsen. I ordered this thing yesterday morning and received notice last night that the mold was on the way. That is Amazon prime fast. My first MP mold, hopefully it is as good as I keep reading about.
    Actually that's faster than amazon's current speed.

This particular mold requires sizing the bullets smaller than the throats of your revolver. It may also present chambering issues in rifles. The 432-640 is another Excellent RNFP Hollowpoint that will chamber in most anything without work.

The Advantage in the Larsen is that, when chambered in a revolver, the front full diameter drive band is inside the chamber throat. No jump to throat, no misalignment possible. I want to see if it beats the 640.

Let us know if you need more info.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Good info, thank you!! I will post how it works out for me in my Rossi 92 as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post

The Advantage in the Larsen is that, when chambered in a revolver, the front full diameter drive band is inside the chamber throat. No jump to throat, no misalignment possible. I want to see if it beats the 640.

Let us know if you need more info.
    Thank you.

Yes this fit thing is one of my reasons for "needing" a Larsen. I've read about it and It looks like a 420 grain LBT 500 I have, with a super fit in a stock S&W 500.

Well my mold was delivered about an hour ago...3 days, that just flat out impresses me.