RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 mold advice

Boolit Master
    i have rcbs 158swc and 180sil molds both gas check the 180 is better at over 75 yards

Boolit Bub
    Ended up with a mp 359-640 HP mould.

Boolit Master
    great choice, ive got one of those mp masterpieces for my difficult to feed Rossi 92.

Banned

358429 of course!

Moderator Emeritus

158 gr SWC.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 12-04-2020 at 05:02 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    great choice, ive got one of those mp masterpieces for my difficult to feed Rossi 92.
    I have that Rossi too and the same mold. Happy happy,joy,joy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
    Ended up with a mp 359-640 HP mould.
    Having owned my FA83 in 357 for a few years now, I haven't found a bullet it won't shoot well. The only MP Mold I have for the 357 is the Hammer GC and it shines. I use the large pins only and the bullets typically end up near 160 grains with my alloy. I have and use an Accurate Molds 36-176D too and it is also a winner. It was a hybrid of a couple of Tom's existing molds. It has a rather long nose but with the long cylinder on the 83 it's not even close to being too long.

I also prefer rather heavy bullets for caliber and have no idea what a lightweight would do. I suspect your new mold will also be a winner but I do hope you got the GC if you plan to lean on that revolver....

Boolit Man
    Just got a 158gr Keith swc mold from Mihec, can't wait to cast some up. Expensive, but well worth it for the craftsmanship, and they get here from Slovenia faster than an order from Midway or Brownells.

I have had excellent results with the RCBS 158 grain SWC gas check and the Lyman 358429.

Boolit Master
    there has got to be a reason why the 358156 has been around for so long

Accurate molds 36-175B. With COWW + 2% tin, it hits pigs like a freight train.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    “ NOE 180 grain WFN or WFNHP”

This is good advice. The NOE is a terrific choice.

Hard to beat that 359-640 mold MP sells.

I bought 1 of them several years ago and the performance of that bullet was impressive enough in several different firearms chambered in 38spl/357 that I pretty much quit using/casting with my other 35cal molds.

Been selling the other 35cal molds off ever since. So far I sold:
    H&G #51 2-cavity that casted a swc & hp swc
    358439 swc hp
    2 different 358156 swc hp's
    358477 swc hp

Heck that bullet is accurate enough that I sold my 6-cavity & 10-cavity h&g #50 wc molds. These are only 6-shot groups @ 50ft.

But I was only looking for a 50ft load to use to shoot shotgun shells. We setup shotgun shells on the bowling pin table & use the same rules for bowling pins. The only difference is shotgun shells (12ga) @ 50ft instead of bowling pins @ 25ft.

The solid fn 170gr bullet these molds cast is a real thumper that I use in my dw's that have heavy shrouded bbl's & muzzle breaks. Burned a lot of H110, MP-300 & 2400 in those revolvers pushing that 170gr fn.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I use the 158gr hp's from this mold in a ca undercover snubnosed 38spl with a 950fps load & the 170gr fn bullet from this mold in a 3" bbl'd l-comp s&w 586 (7-shot) with a 1200fps load as house/carry loads.

Seeing this thread reminds me to test these bullets @100yds & see what they can do. So far I've only shot them @ 50yds and closer.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with these bullets in such a high quality firearm. Should be impressive!!!

Boolit Bub
    Waiting to see what Forrest r can do at 100 yards
    and where did you get the heavy barrels for your DWs?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PhatForrest View Post
    Expensive, but well worth it for the craftsmanship, and they get here from Slovenia faster than an order from Midway or Brownells.
    True!!

I ordered an 8-cavity 9mm mold from Miha on Thu night around midnight - it arrived here Monday midday.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Buddy
    My last order to Midway was shipped to the Columbia Mo. post office in less than 10 hours, but it set there for 11 days. I can’t fault Midway for that.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldieMI View Post
    Waiting to see what Forrest r can do at 100 yards
    and where did you get the heavy barrels for your DWs?
    Was playing around at the range today testing some 308w loads and 44spl loads in a 629. Brought a 10" bbl'd contender in 44mag along. Put a fastfire III on the contender and got it on paper @ 25yds. Then moved it out to 100yds using 50yd smallbore targets to sight it in. The Burris fastfireIII has a 3moa dot on it that's fuzzy and pretty much covers the black on the smallbore targets. Used the top 3 tagets to walk the bullets on target. That fastfireIII has extremely touchy adjustments, a little goes a long way. I used the bottom 2 targets (shot left to right) for groups and testing different brightness of the dot.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Don't take much stock in 3-shot groups & was just getting the contender dialed in for plinking @ steel on the 100yd line. My last test target, turned the fastfire down 1 click and started banging steel using a Mihec 432-640 bullet. The Mihec 640 series bullet's flat out shoot.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Planned on working the 359-640 some @ the 100yd line this year using a 10" contender bbl and a s&w 686.

The heavy dw bbl shrouds came from EWKarms, the bbl's are 1 in 10 twists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12