Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a casting season?

When my other half moved her massage therapy office to the house, I lost my man cave to her remodeling the attached room between the house and the barn. That kind of changed my schedule but it has all worked out OK.
    The new man cave is the former horse stall, which was unused for probably well over 100 years.
    Smelting is usually on the weekends in the fall, and casting, sizing and lubing and reloading is all winter. Spring is too busy with laying in the wood, prepping the yard for summer, and getting the garden up and running.
    I typically cast and load 1500-2000 per caliber at a time so there is plenty of ammo in the closet.
    In fact, I am a bit ahead of the game this year with 1500 H&G #503's ready to load and still some 1000 loaded rounds in inventory.
    A truly pleasant hobby.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    When I need to.

Boolit Buddy
    Cooler months for sure.

Boolit Master
    For most of my life I didn't work in a climate controlled environment, so the idea of it "being too hot" or "being too cold" was never a consideration in what I did or didn't do. I cast or reclaim lead when I find time, weather be damned with the exception of rain.
    Last edited by bowfin; 11-25-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Boolit Master

I have been casting indoors in Jan & Feb with the proper equipment for about 50 years and aroud 500K bullets made in that time , the warmer months are for shooting.

All I know is that I am not a fan of processing wheel weights or range scrap in 90 degree weather.

Boolit Buddy
    I try to do bulk alloys in the cooler months, cast whenever I need boolits or buy a new firearm that I am not already set up for (rare occurrence).
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    Mostly smelt this time of year, cool but not cold. I try to make enough ingots for the year.

Casting, all year. I cast in the basement with a vent system.
    Weekend mornings; get coffee, read news while waking up, then cast for a couple hours.
    Done this for so long, when I don't cast, my day seems screwed up.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy
    Most certainly is here. Summer is the time. I wont cast indoors so casting outdoors means summer. That way I'm not fighting to keep my molds warm enough, which has been enough of an issue I just wont even try any more. That said, winter is reloading season. Its dark by 5pm, its raining and cold, and I need something to do, so, I reload all winter.
    👍🏼

Boolit Buddy
    I cast outside. It rains a lot here in Western Washington where I live. So, spring and summer after work in the evenings is when I cast the most.
    JM

Banned
    Not for me, I cast and coat indoors with a vent system.
    Summer a squirrel cage fan out of a furnace keeps me cool
    winter a propane heater keeps me warm

Boolit Grand Master

Cast all winter, shoot all summer.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Season is open in Louisiana. I “smelt” outside behind the garage. Nice shady area, hidden from the neighbors view. Proccessing wheel weights can be pretty nasty. Processed 6 buckets of wheel weights last weekend. I had to move under the carport today due to chance of rain. Made some harder alloy today starting with 70 lbs. of pure lead. I made a simple spread sheet to help me figure out what amounts of the various lead items to mix. Very enjoyable. Sure was easier than processing those wheel weights.

I’m good for a year or 2...

I cast in the garage. Ventilated and air conditioned. Whenever I feel the need.

Happy Thanksgiving my boolit making friends!
    Last edited by 468; 11-25-2020 at 10:30 PM.
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

Boolit Master
    Live in Louisiana and my two car garage which hasn't see a vehicle in years does get extremely hot in the summer. Working in there is like being in a sauna. Have the big door open, back door open and even with a 3' two speed fan I still end up soaking wet. Was working on cleaning up a WWI German 77mm shell casing. Sanded it down to get rid of all the scratches, then polishing on my home made buffer. Shell is over 2' long. Think I lost more than a few pounds doing that job. Frank

Boolit Buddy

I do most of my casting right after the big game hunting seasons end since the weather is cooler.

Boolit Grand Master

I save up my scrounged lead all year long and have a big smelt sometime between January and March, after hunting season closes. I also do most of my casting between January and May, before it gets hot.

Here in Arkansas it doesn't get as hot as in the Western States or as cold as it does in the Northern States but I do try to take advantage of the more comfortable times. I can cast enough boolits in the first quarter to shoot all of the other 3 quarters. But I have cast in the cold or the heat if I needed to.

Boolit Bub
    Like others I prefer to cast when its cooler (not frigid) outside so I can work with the garage door up and a fan at my back. Wearing a heavy leather apron, boots and gloves gets a might toasty for those of us hot blooded Italians In most years I'm wearing a big red suit through much of December so my "casting season" typically starts New Years. I retired this year so have more time albeit a smaller budget so casting and reloading from my stash will be a nice time filler.

Boolit Master
    this for me anyway is casting season, when I can wear long sleeves and not sweat into pot of molten alloy. even when living in Florida winter dry season was time for casting.

Boolit Master

I cast year round. I built a fume hood in the basement with a squirrel cage exhaust fan to the outside. Basement is cool in summer & warm in winter. I melt scrap into ingots out in a shed with no doors in the winter & out on the deck the rest of the year.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

There certainly is for me. I prefer cooler but still comfortable temps since I cast outdoors and in the direct sun. That pretty much rules out most winter days and many summer days. But the "season" is whenever the conditions are right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast