RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: ACME 148gr BNWC-NLG HiTek

Boolit Mold

ACME 148gr BNWC-NLG HiTek

There's no real data for ACME bullets.

I'm looking to load 38 Specials to shoot out of a Henry X 357/38 Lever Action and Ruger GP100. Possibly some older S&W 38's. I'm looking for a seating depth and maximum charge using Bullseye. Maximum charge as in "do not exceed"... I'm leaning toward 4.4gr of Bullseye, seating the 148gr BNWC-NLG HiTek Coated slug so the case mouth is in the middle of the crimping groove, the "button" would hang out from. 1.285"+/-. That'd be about the limit.

RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1, page 145, #38-148-WC Bullseye 4.0-4.5 No COL (960 fps)
    Speer #12, page 510 says: BB-WC Bullseye 3.9 to 4.5gr 1.295" COL (933 fps)
    Lyman 3rd, Page 157 says 150gr #.58091 Bullseye 3.1 to 3.5 1.317" COL (942 fps)
    Hornady 5th, page 660, 148gr #10108 BBWC 2.1 to 3.0gr 1.180" COL (750fps)

I have shot a number of the ACME 158gr RNFP out of the Henry X and accuracy is not as good as I would like. Shoots great in a pistol!!!

Will make separate thread for the ACME 125gr FP HiTek & 125gr RNFP HiTek slugs.

Here I have three mock-ups:
    1.285", 1.300", 1.350"
    Last edited by BubbaTheKid; 11-24-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have shot a number of the ACME 158gr RNFP out of the Henry X and accuracy is not as good as I would like. Shoots great in a pistol!!!
    Is there a big difference in velocities between your rifle and pistols? I would EXPECT the rifle to launch the RNFPs faster, which means more rpm, which SHOULD mean better stability & accuracy. If they're leaving the rifle at a SLOWER velocity, perhaps the opposite is happening?
    You cite the use of BullsEye only in your loading data, which burns pretty completely in short barrels. With a very light charge, in a rifle-length barrel, you COULD be getting frictional deceleration, which gives rise to lower muzzle velocities, and the aforementioned spin/stability problems.

Just a thought.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I load the Lyman dewc believe it's 357495 . I own a SW 686 and load 4.5 BE in magnum brass like your picture on the left shows . Fine for a heavy duty gun in 38 spl cases but I wouldn't use that for older or light framed guns . That speer data is pretty dated and don't think it would be the same as a modern speer manual
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Mold
    Crawling around on the internet I get the impression that the Speer #12 Manual is hotter than the collective is comfortable with for 38 Spl. 148gr. Lead Wad Cutter. I will order Speer #15. Will use the 3.9gr Bullseye for this for now. I'm basically experimenting with what components are available to buy. My LGS had ACME products & Bullseye. I got a couple hundred of each slug to fool around with. "How does the 38 Spl. cycle in the action with each slug" was also on My mind also.

Appreciate the comment about the powder burn rate above. I am using Bullseye because I have Bullseye. I aknowledge I am shooting rounds engineered for a pistol in a carbine and will most likely find greater success with the carbine with a powder like H110/W296 in a 357 Magnum with jacketed slugs and a recipe closer to what the M1 Carbine (30 Carbine) load is. If You have 20 minutes, take in the Lucky Gunner youtube video "357 Magnum vs .44 Magnum Lever Actions" and pay attention to the 125gr Remington JSP in 357 Magnum I'm surmising the powder for that item is similar to H110/W296 and approaches My line of thinking. Neither powder or slug is available to buy at this time.

What I am looking to come away with in the end is a repeatable 38 Spl. round with ACME slugs that I can make in bulk on My Dillon SDB. I'd like it to be pie plate accurate at 100 yds. I'm confident such a load would work in a pistol.

Boolit Master
    I dunno, Acme products never seemed to work out for one Wile E. Coyote.

Don

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen-shot-2013-03-07-at-12-11-07.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	272133
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    The higher loads you listed for Bullseye are well past Plus P specs as currently understood so are not suitable for 38 revolvers. Especially “older S&W.” Pass on 4.4 grains or anywhere near it. Pass on 4 grains as well. Top end standard pressure is 3.5 grains with the top end of Plus P being around 3.8.

FWIW.

Getting wadcutters to feed in a levergun is usually problematic. So is old 38 data in terms of conforming to accepted pressure limits.
    Last edited by 35remington; 11-27-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a nice henry 357 that I bought used. Original owner got it to shoot up a case of 38 wadcutter ammo...no dice... so I got a good deal from gunbroker. Lever guns can be fussy especially overall length. Because of the timing between the carrier coming upward as the bolt moves forward .