MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee c452 300 fp in inline muzzleloader

Boolit Man

Lee c452 300 fp in inline muzzleloader

Well I haven't been on this site in years. With j bullets getting hard to find I decided to set up my optima with cast for next year. I still cast for my 41,44 and 12ga just took a button buck Friday with my 44 SRH and a lee 310 lubed with tac 1 and h110.
    I have played around with the 44 lee 310 in my optima and tracker 209 but the accuracy is not there compared to 300grain .452 xtp's non mag.
    Anyway anyone here use the lee 452 bullet in their inlines and what kind of accuracy are you getting.
    Thanks and happy Thanksgiving to everyone
    Justin
    Retired Smsgt IL ANG 183 FW

I use a Lee .458 trimmed down to .452 in a sabot in my CVA Optima Pro with 90.8 weighed grain of loose pyrodex. It shoots less than an inch at 100 yds. Used it for the last two years. Hits like a sledge hammer

Boolit Bub
    Don't use that boolit but I use a ranch dog .43 cal boolit and will share my findings about accuracy with you.

Size matters, if your boolit is to big in diameter it won't fit to the base of the sabot when loaded. This creates a major accuracy issue. If your boolit is too small then there is excessive slip so you don't get proper rotation velocity to stabilize.

If your boolit is to soft for your powder charge it will swell in the bore and begin to fill the flow into the voids between the petals of the sabot and your accuracy suffers.

I've found pure lead will work upto about 100gr charge. 1 of my ML started loosing accuracy at 80gr, the other started loosing accuracy at 95gr. A 20:1 alloy works great for both of my inlines with charges between 90-120gr. My main ML is an Omega that I use Blackhorn 209 in. I use 115gr charge in it which is a near magnum load (approx a 140gr bp equivalent) I use an alloy of 50/50+5 then heat treat. That setup works great.

Boolit Man
    Finally got the mold and casted some up with coww. Was able to purchase a thunderdome breech plug for my tracker 209 so I could use BH209. Anyway my initial test was at 50 yards with 90gn Bh209 and harvester crush rib sabot shot a 3 shot ragged cloverleaf group.
    J

What Lee mold did you get?
    Deplorable infidel

I’ve had good luck with the Lee 255 RNFP in sabots. I consistently touch three at 50 yards with 100 grains of Goex 3f. The bullet works well in my Black Hawk and model 92 also and smacks down deer and hogs with authority

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat388th View Post
    Well I haven't been on this site in years. With j bullets getting hard to find I decided to set up my optima with cast for next year. I still cast for my 41,44 and 12ga just took a button buck Friday with my 44 SRH and a lee 310 lubed with tac 1 and h110.
    I have played around with the 44 lee 310 in my optima and tracker 209 but the accuracy is not there compared to 300grain .452 xtp's non mag.
    Anyway anyone here use the lee 452 bullet in their inlines and what kind of accuracy are you getting.
    Thanks and happy Thanksgiving to everyone
    Justin
    Don't use the Lee but I do use a 458,300 gr jhp in my Encore
    shot a doe yesterday at 125 yds
    works well
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    What Lee mold did you get?
    C452 300FP
    45 cal 300 grain flat point, gas check I also purchased Lee's push through sizer. I shot them with no gas check. I plan on stretching them out to 100 and fine tuning the load and will do the same with my cva optima.
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat388th View Post
    C452 300FP
    45 cal 300 grain flat point, gas check I also purchased Lee's push through sizer. I shot them with no gas check. I plan on stretching them out to 100 and fine tuning the load and will do the same with my cva optima.
    Justin
    That 300 will do just fine for you. I have a 1-20 twist Traditions, and I've fire several types of .45 cal. pistol boolits from it. It seems to favor them on the heavier side. I tried 230 gr. Lee and I had to back the charge down to about 50 grs. to get them to group. As the boolits get heavier, the charge has to go up to keep the group tight. I just shot the last of a box of 300gr XTP's. They did well. I'm currently shooting a 285 gr cast from Montana Bullets with a charge of 80 grs Pyro Select. It's holding 2" at 100 consistently.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I tried a 275 grain HP group buy last year out of my omega with a Thompson center original sabot I robbed from a 300 grain TC shock wave. I used 150 grains of triple seven pellets. I had a 2 1/4” group at 100 yards. I stuck with my shock waves which shoot all in the same hole with a 150 grain charge.